Dahua IPC-HDW5231RP-Z install help requested

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So, I have two of these cameras in front of me. Got them from Andy a month or so ago, and I hope to tackle their setup/installation in the next few days.

I have located two documents/links. The 'cliff notes' and the 'dense' guide to this cam, currently going through the existing posts, trying to gain some knowledge. I plan to test everything out at my bench before doing any kind of hardware mounting, etc.

A couple of noob questions...
the pigtail that is attached to the camera, one is the Ethernet, the other looks to be a power adapter connecter. I plan to use a POE switch, how is that used? I am looking at the foldout guide that came in the cam box, can't seem to make out my next steps regarding that.

Once I get power to the camera, is my next step to put the tiny disk and see the firmware that is installed on it. Since I got these cameras last month, do I need to anything with the firmware, as in, upgrading it?. The links at Nayr's post where he reviewed this camera when he first got it for the NTSC firmware does not work. Lastly, is the firmware upgraded through the software that is on the disk? If it is, apologies, I am not there yet as the cam is not powered up.

thanks for your patience with this noob =)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use PoE, you won’t use the other cable on the pigtail. It’ll just remain there, unused.

Once you get power to the camera, you’ll need to use a web browser to connect to it. I prefer using the web interface, in which case the camera will walk you through creating a password for the admin account.

After you set the password, you’ll need to go into the network settings and pick another IP address for the camera. All new Dahua cameras come with the default IP address of 192.168.1.108. You’ll need to change the last number to something unique on your network. If you don’t, when you power on your other new camera, it’s going to start up using the same default IP, and goofy things will happen.

I have no idea what’s on that mini disc. I’d be really surprised if it was firmware, though. I update my camera firmware by downloading the firmware (either from the Dahua website, or from a thread on here <for the ones Andy uploads>). From there, I just connect to the cameras web interface and use the upgrade option there.

Are you going to use a NVR or Blue Iris with these cams? If so, after you set the camera admin password and give them IPs, I’d add them to the NVR/BI next.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for replying to this. I assumed this was a part of the the process - does it matter what browser is used to connect to the cams? I read there’s a special browser to use or a chrome extension instead?

I was planning on initially using the Dahua config tool - are there any benefits from logging in using the browser vs the config tool?

Thank you for the info.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Config tool should be fine! A few years back, it couldn’t do a few of the more advanced things (like setting up IVS), so I never bothered to learn it well and stuck with the browser instead. I see people talk about the config tool more nowadays, so I’m guessing it’s gotten better.

Regarding the browser, I’m on a Mac and Safari is my browser of choice normally, so I’m lucky Dahua has an extension that works decently for that. I’ve heard folks mention a browser I hadn’t heard of before here (Pale Moon), as well as using the Chrome extension.

For a lot of the config stuff, the extension isn’t needed. But if you want to view video from the camera in a browser, then the extension is def required!

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The disc also includes a copy of the configtool which will allow you to change the IP of the camera as well. handy if you are configuring several new cams at the same time, or want to set static IP addresses to them.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't use POE and the DC power barrel connector at the same time. This is usually mentioned in ALL CAPITAL letters in some of Dahua's literature.
Providing two sources of power to camera does bad things, I assume.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I hope to proceed tonight to get the basic screen up and start looking at the interface. I was able to find a relatively recent post from Andy with a PAL and NTSC firmware. From reading the model # on the box (IPC_HDW5231RP-Z), seems the "P" is referring to PAL. I am in Southern California NTSC would be ideal. Should I change to NTSC when I update the firmware or should I use PAL firmware, going forward. Will the images look slightly different due to different scan rates (50 vs 60hz) ?

Oh BTW, the small CD, it has the smartPSS utility dated Nov 7 2017, assuming that is the configuration utility
it also has a folder called Tools with some files under it, dated 2014 and lastly, a couple of PDFs as user manuals.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I hope to proceed tonight to get the basic screen up and start looking at the interface. I was able to find a relatively recent post from Andy with a PAL and NTSC firmware. From reading the model # on the box (IPC_HDW5231RP-Z), seems the "P" is referring to PAL. I am in Southern California NTSC would be ideal. Should I change to NTSC when I update the firmware or should I use PAL firmware, going forward. Will the images look slightly different due to different scan rates (50 vs 60hz) ?

Oh BTW, the small CD, it has the smartPSS utility dated Nov 7 2017, assuming that is the configuration utility
it also has a folder called Tools with some files under it, dated 2014 and lastly, a couple of PDFs as user manuals.
You have a digital camera. NTSC/PAL have no place in this modern world

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, the only diff between PAL and NTSC firmware are some of the FPS presets are different. But like Steve pointed out, this is all digital, so it won’t affect the image. If this camera had an analog video-out cable (yuck), then it’d be a factor.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey sports fans, ok, I made some progress.

First, thanks for the input regarding NTSC/PAL. I'll stick to PAL if it makes no difference.

I had a bit of a challenge trying to get access to the camera. My home network is not 192.168.xx.xx On a spare laptop, I disabled the wifi, took an ethernet cable from laptop to POE switch. I also connected the cam to the same POE switch and got the config to come up but not through the browser, I used the config tool. I had a spare router laying around that was at 192.168.xx.xx settings so I added that into the mix and was able to access the cam config through the web browser. I did download the pale moon browser x32 but I was also able to use OPERA browser with no issues. Once I was in the settings through the browser, I was further able to change the IP, no issues. So, I am off to the next step.

In checking, the cam is at 2.460.0000.15.R., build date 2017-09-17 firmware.

Should I upgrade to a different one, or the latest one ? Or...is it one of those scenarios where...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

thanks, all.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as you but I don't have a POE switch. My NVR5216-16p-4ks2E arrived and I was able to place in the hard drive, format it and change it's ip address to a static address on my network. Next step is to communicate with the other IPc-HDW5231R-ZE cameras that also arrived. I opened one up and was able to view the camera through the nvr. The camera has the ip address of 10.1.1.66 and my nvr is 192.168.1.x

I also tried to use my computer with wifi disable with a cat5 cable attached to the nvr. My computer picked up ip address of 10.1.1.128 and I thought I was in the clear and would be able to login to the camera but I could't connect via a browser to 10.1.1.66 nor would the config tool find the camera. I tried adjusting the config tool's ip locations but still no luck. I tried to change the ip address using the nvr but it was greyed out. Ideas? I was thinking of buying a POE switch to just connect the computer and camera together without the need for the nvr to try to change the camera ip. As of now I can't because I have no way to power the camera.

There is a chance that my router is causing this problem. I do not believe that my router has released the 192.168.1.108 that the nvr picked up earlier before I changed it. Unfortunately with my router I can't delete devices that were on the network. I have to wait for them to be released. Perhaps this is my problem as I thought the camera would pick up the same 192.168.1.108 - maybe I have a conflict here and have to wait the 24 hours for it to release.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am enjoying this thread. I will be setting up 3 of these next week. First time using one of these cams.

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having trouble with a Dahua camera on my BI, cant seem to get it to show a picture. Every now and then I can get a picture on the web service but no signal in BI?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having trouble with a Dahua camera on my BI, cant seem to get it to show a picture. Every now and then I can get a picture on the web service but no signal in BI?
Can you view the cam's video via a browser ok? If so, then try
Delete the problem cam in BI. Add it again by entering the IP address and the user and password for the cam. Then click find/inspect.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I am done, including attaching my camera to the wall, I'll publish all the details of my experience from start to finish. Hopefully, it will be a good supplement to the existing 'cliff notes' and the 'dense' guide.

For a beginner, getting the camera up and going on a bench, even the simplest tasks of powering up, assigning an IP to it can be daunting. I've played with basic networking hardware in the past and I understand the basic networking concepts as well but it is my first time using a POE switch this past weekend. There's definitely a WEALTH of information within the posts here, searching for it sometimes can be fun :lol:. What I am grateful for are the experts who chime in with their experience. Hopefully, one day, I will return back that knowledge to the beginners who will come after me. :)

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey sports fans, ok, I made some progress.

I'll stick to PAL if it makes no difference.

I had a bit of a challenge trying to get access to the camera. My home network is not 192.168.xx.xx On a spare laptop, I disabled the wifi, took an ethernet cable from laptop to POE switch. I also connected the cam to the same POE switch and got the config to come up but not through the browser, I used the config tool. I had a spare router laying around that was at 192.168.xx.xx settings so I added that into the mix and was able to access the cam config through the web browser. I did download the pale moon browser x32 but I was also able to use OPERA browser with no issues. Once I was in the settings through the browser, I was further able to change the IP, no issues. So, I am off to the next step.

In checking, the cam is at 2.460.0000.15.R., build date 2017-09-17 firmware.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

thanks, all.
I'm having the same issue as you but I don't have a POE switch. My NVR5216-16p-4ks2E arrived and I was able to place in the hard drive, format it and change it's ip address to a static address on my network. Next step is to communicate with the other IPc-HDW5231R-ZE cameras that also arrived. I opened one up and was able to view the camera through the nvr. The camera has the ip address of 10.1.1.66 and my nvr is 192.168.1.x

I also tried to use my computer with wifi disable with a cat5 cable attached to the nvr. My computer picked up ip address of 10.1.1.128 and I thought I was in the clear and would be able to login to the camera but I could't connect via a browser to 10.1.1.66 nor would the config tool find the camera. I tried adjusting the config tool's ip locations but still no luck. I tried to change the ip address using the nvr but it was greyed out. Ideas? I was thinking of buying a POE switch to just connect the computer and camera together without the need for the nvr to try to change the camera ip. As of now I can't because I have no way to power the camera.

There is a chance that my router is causing this problem. I do not believe that my router has released the 192.168.1.108 that the nvr picked up earlier before I changed it. Unfortunately with my router I can't delete devices that were on the network. I have to wait for them to be released. Perhaps this is my problem as I thought the camera would pick up the same 192.168.1.108 - maybe I have a conflict here and have to wait the 24 hours for it to release.
Worked on my latest 5x-5231 camera install over Easter weekend. 7th location so far, and have set up 25+ 5231RP-Z's. I have installed all NVR5216-16p-4ks2's for every customer thus far. I use a Win 10 laptop, and run IE11. I find it works the easiest with Dahua plugins.

So after setting up so many, and having to leave a "turnkey" solution for the customer, I prefer the advanced setup using a switch and mid-span to power and administer the cams. This is actually the route I take with "power user" customers as well. It's a hair pricier, but there are features and functions only available through the web GUI that aren't available through the NVR. This may have changed somewhat with the latest firmware upgrade to the NVR5216, but I haven't had the need to try. I configure all the parameters, set up IVS rules and get everything working through the switch/mid-span. When all are set up, I then plug them in to the NVR. This is where @toolazyforalogin is having a problem. The NVR has its own internal switch, and changes the cams IP addresses to its internal switch's subnet, which is 10.1.1.x. It will default the first camera to 10.1.1.66 and increase them (by 2 I believe) every time you plug another in to the POE ports in back. The NVR network uplink port has its own IP address. This protects the camera network from the interwebs.

My suggestion is to use a 12v power supply, and plug the camera in to an empty port on your router. Many household items use a 2.1mm/5.5mm 12V power supply. You'll need 1 amp to be sure it has enough power. Use the config tool from your laptop, set the IP search range, and your latest login and password for the camera. You could always factory reset the cam back to 192.168.1.108 by opening it up (be aware where the silica packs are located), hold the reset button down and apply power to the cam. Continue to hold the reset button for a full minute. Seems long but I've experienced less than a full reset by not holding it down long enough.

If you are going to be administering these cameras in the future, there are a couple "tools" you should have around. A 12V 2.1mm/5.5mm 1 amp power supply, would be one. An inexpensive switch, or POE switch is even better. An Ethernet cable tester, a crimper tool with assorted RJ-45 plugs. Spare laptops are nice, along with a cheap monitor for the NVR. I could go on.

If you have more questions, ask away. The cameras are excellent, and once you cut your teeth and learn the setup, it will be like old hat going forward.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you briefly describe what you mean by mid span?
Something like this:
Microsemi PowerDsine 3504 PoE 4 Port Power Injector PD-3504G/AC Gigabit 802.3af 844117001303 | eBay

A used 12 port version of this can be had for around $100:
NEW Microsemi PoE PD-9024G/ACDC/M/F-US 24-Port 36W Gig Midspan Mg PD9024GACDCMF 844117001112 | eBay

I have a couple 12 port versions of the above. One managed and the other unmanaged. They are 430 watts, with 36 watts available per port.

SD

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something like this:
Microsemi PowerDsine 3504 PoE 4 Port Power Injector PD-3504G/AC Gigabit 802.3af 844117001303 | eBay

A used 12 port version of this can be had for around $100:
NEW Microsemi PoE PD-9024G/ACDC/M/F-US 24-Port 36W Gig Midspan Mg PD9024GACDCMF 844117001112 | eBay

I have a couple 12 port versions of the above. One managed and the other unmanaged. They are 430 watts, with 36 watts available per port.

SD
that is insane...a 4 port midspan for 50 bux? you can buy an entire switch for that money...for 60 you can even have a 4 port managed switch...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.