Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the vari-focal. As I mentioned, I have now installed a floodlight and have stopped using IR. I'm very happy with the camera's night color performance and won't be going back to IR. My point is that anyone doing a direct replacement of a 5321 will not be wowed by the new camera out-of-the-box today. I appreciate that work is progress to improve the default settings.
Never leave a camera at default settings, don't leave anything set to auto. See tips in this thread.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doubt this camera has the lense to do that. If you end up in court with said video, you need to be able to get face ID.
Take a look at this: IPVM Camera Calculator V3
You will need something with more zoom ability. You dont need 8mp.
Getting facial ID is the job of my Bosch 8000 Ultra. Knowing whose face I want to ID would be the job of the overview cameras. If they can tell me it was, say, a guy in a red tanktop, the big-gun cam may be able to correlate the face or other good stuff like tats. And my LPR system would be ID'ing the plate on whatever car they might be in.

Sample, this guy stabbed someone in the park in near darkness. The overview cam's job would be to tell me it's a thin guy in shorts with a shaved head, then I'd correlate that. So far I've solved four stabbings in the park for the police, five if you count a dog that got fatally stabbed (along with an owner who got stabbed but survived).

So anyway, interested to see what the detail level is like at 50 meters on a human being.

Attachments

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Christ almighty! You have had 5 stabbings right next door to your home in a park?? Thats rough neighborhood to say the least...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting facial ID is the job of my Bosch 8000 Ultra. Knowing whose face I want to ID would be the job of the overview cameras. If they can tell me it was, say, a guy in a red tanktop, the big-gun cam may be able to correlate the face or other good stuff like tats. And my LPR system would be ID'ing the plate on whatever car they might be in.

Sample, this guy stabbed someone in the park in near darkness. The overview cam's job would be to tell me it's a thin guy in shorts with a shaved head, then I'd correlate that. So far I've solved four stabbings in the park for the police, five if you count a dog that got fatally stabbed (along with an owner who got stabbed but survived).

So anyway, interested to see what the detail level is like at 50 meters on a human being.
Looks like a very outstanding citizen :)

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Christ almighty! You have had 5 stabbings right next door to your home in a park?? Thats rough neighborhood to say the least...
It is a lower-income area with drug houses. Here is one of the incidents, the one where the dog got stabbed to death and a man got a stab to the kidney area around 2AM:
1596637441121.png
The Prosecutor called to congratulate me for my video (Bosch 8000 Starlight with 50mm lens), which forced the collapse of the defense and put the stabber in prison.

The park has been renovated and is attracting a lot of families, which is pushing out the druggies. It's also very well-lighted at night, and there are no picnic tables any more for them to sit down and get comfortable with their drug pipes.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Smart IR Firmware is coming out 20200814, will send some guys for testing.
If any guys want to try the latest new one, also can send message to me, i send directly.
This model has enough stock now.
Im sure this has already been posted.. but which wall bracket works with this turret? Thinking about swapping out a boobie cam for one of these, just want to make sure the wall bracket is the same...

Zimberto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Nightime 8-14 FW Testing

I was provided the latest test version of this firmware on (8/14) and wanted to start testing it ASAP. Due to this I spent 2 hours Friday night capturing against a number of different lighting situations in the test area. These were all taken on full wide so that no IR drop-off muddied the waters in terms of the test itself.

So before you watch the video, what was the outcome, is the washout solved ? Well this FW definitely makes steps forward in improving the cameras handling of light BUT unfortunately stops short of fixing the IR washout completely.

When I completed the testing and reviewed the footage after each capture, it became apparent to me that while the Dahua engineers focused on washout, they did it under set lighting scenarios and camera configurations only. As you’ll see from my video (long but timestamped for your reference) it doesn’t appear that there was much change (only subtle) to the way IR corrects itself when it is the only light source on a scene. This is even more apparent when you look at a target seen from an angle rather than flat on. To see this, check chapters 1 & 2. However, once you start adding visible light to your scene (even 1 bulb) + IR together you’ll notice the camera adjusts much better than it did before (Chapters 3,4,5) and in my Chapter 6 section I flood the zone with IR + 1x60w foreground + 2x 250w LED’s background and you can visibly see the camera kick down IR strength, IRIS etc much better than before.

I completed testing of both fixed exposures and exposure ranges (all noted in the video) and again with just IR lighting the scene the camera doesn’t correct for the IR itself as much as needed when a target is center of image but at an angle. Therefore I am passing this feedback and the video link to Dahua engineers for further review and work on this FW. I’m also asking them to provide me with their camera settings to see exactly what they were using.

I will say that when I went back and reviewed the Dahua engineer videos, apart from the Auto exposure ones (which as I mentioned I would not recommend for a night configuration) the scene is lit in background therefore their testing appears to have been conducted with slight foreground and ambient background lighting which would match the results I saw in my testing (for clarity: I’m stating that IR+ visible light in same scene = better performance on this FW). I also noted that their testing was completed flat on, i.e at face level and subject pointing straight at camera. While this is certainly 1 way to test and is valid, most people install the cams at around 6.5’ to 7’ (sometimes higher) therefore invoke more of an angle to face hence my testing takes that approach. Lastly, when you look at the testing in my video it would seem that the Dahua adjustments have been made primarily to exposure ranges in the 1/60 to 1/100 area (again with any visible light present), not to fixed exposure (unless visible light is on scene) nor to faster shutter speed ranges (less noticeable 1/100 to 1/120).

Therefore in summary:
  1. Largest improvements in camera response to minimize washout seen when using exposure ranges 1/60 to 1/100 and when IR is used in conjunction with visible light
  2. Minor improvements seen when using exposure ranges & IR is the only light on the scene, washout still present unless flat on / face on to target where further improvement is seen
  3. Minor improvements seen when using fixed exposures and IR only, in fact very little camera adjustment noticed at all in test (scene barely changes) with 1 exception, when using fixed of 1/60 you see the camera adjust quickly and as expected to combat washout. 1/100 is close but still needs further work
  4. No improvements seen when using 1/100 to 1/120 exposure range by itself
  5. Asking Dahua to continue analysis and work on some further IR strength adjustments and speed or response to cater for centered IR strength on targets approaching at an angle
33 Minute video but should cater for any particular area you are interested in. Interested in seeing the sweet spot ? If so then check the 1/60 to 1/100 range with visible light at 17:13 and compare to the 1/100 to 1/120 at 18:48 you should notice the difference in adjustments on 1/60. Range of 1/60 to 1/120 is also good but takes longer to adjust

You'll forgive the closed eyes during parts of the video, staring at IR for 2 hours wears on you :)

HTH

** Please note that the Flooding The Zone section DOES include 1 x 60w Bulb Foreground + 2 x 250w Floods background but the title on the clips only mentions the floods **

YouTube Video

2588 x 1520 native resolution - Encoded with h264 for YouTube as the Prores was 74GB

Time Stamps
Chapter 1 - Fixed Exposure IR Only Testing - 14s ~ 4:00

• 14s ~ 1:18 - 1/60
  • 1:22 ~ 2:39 - 1/100
  • 2:43 ~ 4:00 - 1/120

Chapter 2 - Exposure Range Testing IR Only - 4:00 ~ 12:59
  • 4:12 ~ 5:38 - 0 to 1/60
  • 5:42 ~ 7:00 - 0 to 1/100
  • 7:04 ~ 8:23 - 0 to 1/120
  • 8:27 ~ 9:46 - 1/60 to 1/100
  • 9:50 ~ 11:20 - 1/60 to 1/120
  • 11:24 ~ 12:59 - 1/100 to 1/120

Chapter 3 - Fixed Exposure Testing With IR + 1 x 60w Bulb Foreground - 12:59 ~ 16:59
  • 13:13 ~ 14:17 - 1/60
  • 14:21 ~ 15:37 - 1/100
  • 15:41 ~ 16:59 - 1/120

Chapter 4 - Exposure Range Testing With IR + 1 x 60w Bulb Foreground - 16:59 ~ 24:18
  • 17:13 ~ 18:44 - 1/60 to 1/100
  • 18:48 ~ 20:09 - 1/100 to 1/120
  • 20:13 ~ 21:25 - 1/60 to 1/120
  • 21:29 ~ 23:00 - 0 to 1/100
  • 23:04 ~ 24:18 - 0 to 1/120

Chapter 5 - Exposure Range Testing With IR + 2 x 250w LED Floods Background - 24:18 ~ 29:43
  • 24:33 ~ 26:00 - 0 to 1/60
  • 26:04 ~ 27:57 - 0 to 1/100
  • 28:01 ~ 29:43 - 0 to 1/120

Chapter 6 - ‘Flooding The Zone’ Exposure Range Testing With IR + 1 x 60w Bulb Foreground + 2 x 250w LED Floods Background - 29:43 ~ 33:14
  • 29:58 ~ 31:33 - 0 to 1/100
  • 31:37 ~ 33:14 - 0 to 1/120

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Great work on this my man. Hopefully Dahua can refine it. I'm in the Exposure range 0 - 10ms with IR only. Looks like it better than when they started. Your work I'm sure is really helping them along and speed up testing.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I meant 6 inches as I said it should be 6” lower than I had it ;)

Agree with you on the mount and have a selection of PFA130’s and if you want ultimate flexibility then I also use the Dahua PFA121 junction boxes that work with the Dahua bullet cams but the cool part is that you can buy in the 4 screw mount version (bullet cams) and also a 3 screw version (PFA122) which works with the turrets. Keep a couple of each spare then as you want to move cams just mount your new cam to your spare faceplate and switch one cam/plate out for the other on the junction box. Works really well in switching cams without having to remount junction boxes :)
Please clarify your junction box comments. Are you saying if I buy a certain junction box that it is compatible with the 5231 and the 5442 and with many other Dahua bullet cams? If so I like that Idea.... what junction box do I want? I currently have two 5231s but plan to add many more cameras in the near term and I'm warming up to the junction box Idea. Do you always use these boxes? Primary benefit? In the past many people mentioned that they needed the box to store the wires. Well, on my house I can push the wires back through the soffit, well that was my original plan, now I'm thinking about best practices. I look forward to your advice.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wildcat_1 your latest video is incredible, I like your Settings Info addition on the bottom of the screen. Looks very professional and you always seem to cover the most popular settings. Thank You for your Work...

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@MacFun
Let me try and answer all your questions here:

1. Yes always use junction boxes, allows for clean install, hiding of any excess cables AND allows for quick change of cams IF you like the idea I shared above and in number 2 below
  2. Buy a couple of PFA 121 (4 screw holes) and a couple of PFA 122 (3 screw holes) and this will work with 5231/5442, most cams except PTZ's (use PFA 120 for these, different shape, rectangle) and 7xxx (uses its own mount). Then when you have lets say a B5442 with 4 screw requirements you hook it up to the faceplate from the 121 and mount then you get a 5442T vari turret which uses 3 screw holes and use the faceplate from PFA 122. As the backend junction box for these is the same you effectively have a quick release function. Take B5442 (still mounted to faceplate) off, leaving junction box on the wall then separately attach your 5442T vari turret to the 3 screw hole faceplate and easily place on the junction box already installed. Allows you to pre-mount cameras to the faceplate and switch out in the location super quick. Just a little tip there.

Hope that helps, makes sense to you and if you have any other questions, just reach out

Please clarify your junction box comments. Are you saying if I buy a certain junction box that it is compatible with the 5231 and the 5442 and with many other Dahua bullet cams? If so I like that Idea.... what junction box do I want? I currently have two 5231s but plan to add many more cameras in the near term and I'm warming up to the junction box Idea. Do you always use these boxes? Primary benefit? In the past many people mentioned that they needed the box to store the wires. Well, on my house I can push the wires back through the soffit, well that was my original plan, now I'm thinking about best practices. I look forward to your advice.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nightime 8-14 FW Testing

I was provided the latest test version of this firmware on (8/14) and wanted to start testing it ASAP. Due to this I spent 2 hours Friday night capturing against a number of different lighting situations in the test area. These were all taken on full wide so that no IR drop-off muddied the waters in terms of the test itself.
Is this the 717 firmware?