Dahua model number letters

krone6

n3wb
Reaction score
[Solved]Dahua model number letters

I've tried to find what the different letters mean on the Dahua website that make each IP camera different and not even Dahua themselves can help me after the e-mail being forwarded to at least three different people. does anyone have a list that explains what each letter is so I can make the best purchasing decision without buying features I don't need? For example I don't plan to have sound in any of my cameras so I don't want to buy a camera that costs more because it has a mic.

Thanks for the help and yes, I've looked on here already and didn't find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

krone6

n3wb
Reaction score
Just read the spec sheets....
I've went over them multiple time and didn't find any mention of what "S" would mean in 4300S or the E-l in other models would mean. For all I know E could mean it uses less voltage than a non E model. I'm just looking for a basic list of what those letters stand for since the company can't help me it seems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've went over them multiple time and didn't find any mention of what "S" would mean in 4300S or the E-l in other models would mean. For all I know E could mean it uses less voltage than a non E model. I'm just looking for a basic list of what those letters stand for since the company can't help me it seems.
Dahua doesnt sell to end users so they wont help you . ..generally AS will denote audio in/out and Z-zoom motorized zoom...however there are cams with built in mics that dont have the AS designation..
Its really simple..determine what features you want and simply find the camera that has it..there are not many variations say of a 3mp dome camera...Also note that sometimes a camera with audio will cost LESS than the same cameras without audio...same with other functions...its all about supply and demand. Dont over complicate it.

krone6

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua doesnt sell to end users so they wont help you . ..generally AS will denote audio in/out and Z-zoom motorized zoom...however there are cams with built in mics that dont have the AS designation..
Its really simple..determine what features you want and simply find the camera that has it..there are not many variations say of a 3mp dome camera...Also note that sometimes a camera with audio will cost LESS than the same cameras without audio...same with other functions...its all about supply and demand. Dont over complicate it.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for and would have been helpful to have on their site. I also don't see how being more knowledgeable about what I am buying is over complicating as I'd rather only buy items with features i'll use. I don't need a motorized camera with fancy PTZ features so I want to stay away from those for example as you've pointed out models with Z may have the motorized feature. i'm just not one to go in blind when purchasing if possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was looking for and would have been helpful to have on their site. I also don't see how being more knowledgeable about what I am buying is over complicating as I'd rather only buy items with features i'll use. I don't need a motorized camera with fancy PTZ features so I want to stay away from those for example as you've pointed out models with Z may have the motorized feature. i'm just not one to go in blind when purchasing if possible.
All the information is in the spec sheets..so first narrow down the type of camera then make sure it has the functions you need. Who cares if the camera has sound if its cheaper than the same camera without sound.
Again, dahua has no reason to post this information...they dont sell to end users - the distributors and installers know the cameras..
Simply click on the camera and read the specs and description...

poptix

n3wb
Reaction score
Page 14 of this doc.

(From someone else on the forum, but I can never find it when I need it and this is the top Google result).

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anybody know the meaning of the 4th digit in the IPC model nomenclature? I see some cameras with a 2 there but the decoder chart in the cliff notes only mentions 0 and 1 being options.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have an updated version of the IP camera name convention that would include cameras like "IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV"?
The wiki has an older version DahuaWiki

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So does that breakdown still apply in 2021-22?
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
Not applicable.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED
Number 5 is the 5 series.
Number 4 is 4MP.
42 is usually represented as F1.6
49 is usually represented as F1.0(ex HFW3549、HFW5449)
TM is used to refer to the shell type.
The Z behind it means zoom.
AS stands for supports alarm and audio.
PV means built-in audio.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not applicable.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED
Number 5 is the 5 series.
Number 4 is 4MP.
42 is usually represented as F1.6
49 is usually represented as F1.0(ex HFW3549、HFW5449)
TM is used to refer to the shell type.
The Z behind it means zoom.
AS stands for supports alarm and audio.
PV means built-in audio.
There are always exceptions.
IPC-HFW2549S-S-IL is F1.6