Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
guys - another question - i want the access to my nvr from internet - i know vpn is bedt and i will do that but for now i want to do only port forwarding - what ports must be forwarded? i fwd only 80 but it looks like more must be opened/forwarded?
No one is going to recommend forwarding ports. Take the extra time and setup a proper VPN of we'll be seeing you post in a short time that your cameras/NVR was hacked. You just spent a bunch of $$, a few more to secure it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Definately use a VPN, that is the best secure way to access the system from outside your network. I had a DVR hacked last year at my mother's and learned the hard way.

IF you want t port forward, 9bad idea) then open port 37777 along with 80

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok will go with vpn, btw - opening 80 and 37777 did not work, maybe i have other firewall stuff that i am not aware of.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
you should only need to open 37777 but didn’t you change TCP to a different port?

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i did redirection from external port XXXXX to internal 80, and ext. 37777 to int. 37777 and did not work
then i changed to ext 80 to int 80, and kept ext 37777 to int 37777, and still did not work,

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey guys - the hdd led is on - not sure why - it look everything ok - it was off from the beginning - 2 weeks already - but today i noticed it is on. what to check? what you suspectz

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hey guys - the hdd led is on - not sure why - it look everything ok - it was off from the beginning - 2 weeks already - but today i noticed it is on. what to check? what you suspectz
I believe it stays on once your NVR hard drive is full... Even if you set it to overwrite the drive once it's full (Guess it's a bug) if you format your drive again (using the NVR format option in the menus) it will turn off until the drive fills up again. If it worries you you'll have to do this I guess every two weeks. I would ignore it... Unless you suffer from OCD ;)

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think they are renaming the entire model line to N52Bxx and N42Bxx for the Pro and Lite 1U models.

dana2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question in respect of the HDD to be mounted inside these units. Has anybody installed 8TB/10TB/12TB HDDs in these units? I know it is above the specs listed, but would they actually work?

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know in another thread someone tried an 8TB and it did not work. I think that was a prior year model though. Nothing in the latest firmware for the 4KS2 mentioned it (no idea on the newer 4KS2E/N52Bx models).

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know in another thread someone tried an 8TB and it did not work. I think that was a prior year model though. Nothing in the latest firmware for the 4KS2 mentioned it (no idea on the newer 4KS2E/N52Bx models).
My DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 works fine with 8TB drives.
From what I understand, there are MBR and GTP for partioning a HDD. MBR (Master Boot Record) has a 2.2TB limit for a partition, thus may have problem with HDDs larger than 2TB. Modern operating systems like Linux version greater than 2.6.35 & Windows 10 uses GTP for partitioning a HDD. A GTP partition can be as large as 2^64 (2 to the power of 64) blocks. Using a 512K-byte block, that's equivalent to 9 ZB (zetabyte) in size.
Since my DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 can use a 8TB drive, I suspect that the OS is modern Linux that uses GTP partitioning. With that, there would be no problem using any size of HDDs currently available on the market.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I discovered something strange last night on my friend's NVR. His NVR kept losing his cameras so I went online and remotely access one of his computer (he about 4 hours drive from me) and set all the camera and NVR to a static ip for easier management but when I opened IE and download the web plugin, windows kept complaining it was a virus infected file. I have set up and install many NVRS but I never seen a Windows security screaming about it being a virus before so playing it safe I decided not to install it because NVR was fighting with me every time I tried to restore the camera back into the registration.

I decided to grab the latest NVR firmware and remote it over to his computer then update it. Friend said after it was done installing, the NVR let out a loud screeching sound and then back to normal fan blowing sound. Again I tried the web plugins from the new firmware and the Windows didn't complain about it allowing it to be added to the IE. After the new firmware, all the cameras quickly restore itself back on the NVR registry and it showed up again on his monitor.

Very strange ... hrmmm... I felt like I did some exorcism last night on the NVR ... LOL ....

dana2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 works fine with 8TB drives.
From what I understand, there are MBR and GTP for partioning a HDD. MBR (Master Boot Record) has a 2.2TB limit for a partition, thus may have problem with HDDs larger than 2TB. Modern operating systems like Linux version greater than 2.6.35 & Windows 10 uses GTP for partitioning a HDD. A GTP partition can be as large as 2^64 (2 to the power of 64) blocks. Using a 512K-byte block, that's equivalent to 9 ZB (zetabyte) in size.
Since my DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 can use a 8TB drive, I suspect that the OS is modern Linux that uses GTP partitioning. With that, there would be no problem using any size of HDDs currently available on the market.
I would expect exactly that, and that the NVR would work with whatever driver. 8/10/12. Hence my question, as I am pretty sure the NVR runs a Linux OS flavour.

MBR versus GPT are a thing of the past now.

Maximlis

n3wb
Reaction score
I have new 5216 16p 4ks2e and china camera dahua ptz11204 . Nvr write that they are not compatible.but i have old dahua 2108 and they work without any problem. Can you give advice what to do.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have new 5216 16p 4ks2e and china camera dahua ptz11204 . Nvr write that they are not compatible.but i have old dahua 2108 and they work without any problem. Can you give advice what to do.
If you did upgrade with the latest firmware, there was a clear warning in the release notes that Chinese cams would be blocked. You could try to "downgrade" the firmware and hope the cams get detected again.

Good luck!
CC