Dahua NVR/Internet/PoE switch confusion

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assuming I have the correct NVR selected, Im going to purchase my system from Andy in the next 48 hours. I'm going to purchase (4) DahuaIPC-HDW5231R-Z; next year i'll add (1) SD59230-HNI and, at most, 1 more cam for a max total of 6 (I pre-wired my house with Cat6).

I've selected the Dahua NVR5216-16p-4k2s (even thought that might be overkill). I'm going to use a powered HDMI to ethernet splitter to run the video to all my TV's (which have Cat6 ran to them).

First, and most important question. I am forced to use an unlimited data sprint hotspot. No router. I intend to hookup my NVR to an IOGEAR ethernet to wifi adapter. Does anyone see an issue there?

I would like to have backup storage. Initially I intended to use the microSD slots in the cameras in the event someone finds and steals/destroys my NVR. However, I read a post suggesting you must use a PoE switch to be able to record to the microSD slot and NVR at the same time. Can anyone confirm? Is recording to the microSD slots a reasonable choice for backup, or should I get an NAS instead? Either way, do I need a PoE switch? For me, the less equipment the better.

At this moment, I would really like to keep this simple; I dont have much time to tinker currently. I just want my cameras to record 24/7 and to send snapshots to my phone with events. I'd like to ability, eventually, to mess with intelligent PTZ cams though.

I'd ready to get this thing ordered and setup before winter hits, so please help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming I have the correct NVR selected, Im going to purchase my system from Andy in the next 48 hours. I'm going to purchase (4) DahuaIPC-HDW5231R-Z; next year i'll add (1) SD59230-HNI and, at most, 1 more cam for a max total of 6 (I pre-wired my house with Cat6).

I've selected the Dahua NVR5216-16p-4k2s (even thought that might be overkill). I'm going to use a powered HDMI to ethernet splitter to run the video to all my TV's (which have Cat6 ran to them).

First, and most important question. I am forced to use an unlimited data sprint hotspot. No router. I intend to hookup my NVR to an IOGEAR ethernet to wifi adapter. Does anyone see an issue there?

I would like to have backup storage. Initially I intended to use the microSD slots in the cameras in the event someone finds and steals/destroys my NVR. However, I read a post suggesting you must use a PoE switch to be able to record to the microSD slot and NVR at the same time. Can anyone confirm? Is recording to the microSD slots a reasonable choice for backup, or should I get an NAS instead? Either way, do I need a PoE switch? For me, the less equipment the better.

At this moment, I would really like to keep this simple; I dont have much time to tinker currently. I just want my cameras to record 24/7 and to send snapshots to my phone with events. I'd like to ability, eventually, to mess with intelligent PTZ cams though.

I'd ready to get this thing ordered and setup before winter hits, so please help!
you can record to sd card as long as the camera has power, it doesnt care where its coming from...how do you intend to get the cams to record to nas..not as simple as it sounds..
No one is going to steal your nvr...its an extremely rare occurrence.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi BigLarge,

If you buy the NVR you mention will not need a PoE switch
Dahua NVR5216-16p-4k2s

I have the same model and it is working well.

If you like you can add the micro-SD cards to the cameras.