Dahua NVR No Longer Emailing Event Snapshots Help

ccater1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua nvr model NVR5216-16P-4KS2 that has been working flawlessly for roughly 1 year now sending snapshot notifications to my email. Yesterday this feature just stopped working. I tested the cat5 cable (internet) connection from router to nvr and it's good. I teseted nvr connection to internet and it's good because I can still view live video of my system via my cell phone.

My password is correct. My Gmail account is working properly as I can log into account and send and receive emails perfectly fine. Networking is really not my thing. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have not changed any nvr settings since I set it up. If I press the test button I get a failed test message with no error info.

You would think that spending $2500 on a quality video surveillance system it would be relatively trouble free for years, but that hasn't been the case for me, unfortunately lol... It's constantly a camera losing a setting or some crap like this. Honestly, life was a lot simpler before this system was installed. I'm getting close to throwing in the towel.

Thanks for any help,

Casey

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Dahua nvr model NVR5216-16P-4KS2 that has been working flawlessly for roughly 1 year now sending snapshot notifications to my email. Yesterday this feature just stopped working. I tested the cat5 cable (internet) connection from router to nvr and it's good. I teseted nvr connection to internet and it's good because I can still view live video of my system via my cell phone.

My password is correct. My Gmail account is working properly as I can log into account and send and receive emails perfectly fine. Networking is really not my thing. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have not changed any nvr settings since I set it up. If I press the test button I get a failed test message with no error info.

You would think that spending $2500 on a quality video surveillance system it would be relatively trouble free for years, but that hasn't been the case for me, unfortunately lol... It's constantly a camera losing a setting or some crap like this. Honestly, life was a lot simpler before this system was installed. I'm getting close to throwing in the towel.

Thanks for any help,

Casey
yes, throw in the towel. There is a minimum IQ for use of ip cameras. It really sucks that dahua didnt implement a system that detects gmail's refusal to send your emails and redirects them via dahua servers. :rolleyes:

ccater1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol... I guess I'm a real idiot then since I'm not an email wrangling, server mastering, imap kungfu ninja....:rolleyes:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol... I guess I'm a real idiot then since I'm not an email wrangling, server mastering, imap kungfu ninja....:rolleyes:
Correct. This is why dahua does not sell to end users. Most dont know how to properly setup email or understand that if email suddenly stops working, instead of blaming the device and going on a passive aggressive rant about getting rid of your system, think a bit and realize that it might not be the devices fault. Critical thinking is a lost art.

ccater1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Correct. This is why dahua does not sell to end users. Most dont know how to properly setup email or understand that if email suddenly stops working, instead of blaming the device and going on a passive aggressive rant about getting rid of your system, think a bit and realize that it might not be the devices fault. Critical thinking is a lost art.
Critical thinking doesn't help much when you know nothing about the topic. Kinda thought I pointed that out in my original post. I've had problems with this system that did turn out to be the devices fault. Did you stop and critically think about that before posing a condescending, judgement passing reply? Anyhow, I was mostly just venting my frustration, and didn't intend for you to take it as an attack against Dahua and their products. I have a neighbor who happens to be good at wrangling networks. I'll contact him and maybe he can perform some critical thinking in an area of which he has a skillset and help me out. All can carry on with what they were previously doing.

Casey

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Critical thinking doesn't help much when you know nothing about the topic. Kinda thought I pointed that out in my original post. I've had problems with this system that did turn out to be the devices fault. Did you stop and critically think about that before posing a condescending, judgement passing reply? Anyhow, I was mostly just venting my frustration, and didn't intend for you to take it as an attack against Dahua and their products. I have a neighbor who happens to be good at wrangling networks. I'll contact him and maybe he can perform some critical thinking in an area of which he has a skillset and help me out. All can carry on with what they were previously doing.

Casey
You can rant about dahua products. Their NVR's like hikvisions are crap. That is why many here use software vms. The issue here is gmail not the NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow some real hate in this thread. If gmail is blocking the NVR simply use a different email host there are plenty to pick from.

If this was going on in any of the gun or reloading forums threads I'm in this would be a locked thread for sure...
This is not those forum

Sirty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, everything has been working perfectly for almost 2 years, then in the past couple weeks most of the snapshot emails aren't making it through anymore. Obviously a gmail issue. Haven't had time to research if there's anything I can do about it.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, everything has been working perfectly for almost 2 years, then in the past couple weeks most of the snapshot emails aren't making it through anymore. Obviously a gmail issue. Haven't had time to research if there's anything I can do about it.
I'm not so sure it's obviously a Gmail issue, per se. I've sent and received a hundred, if not hundreds, of notifications through Gmail in just the last couple days as I play with the settings in my new Blue Iris rig. Granted, it's not a Dahua NVR...but the notices are sent and received via Gmail.

And, prior to that, it has been working through Gmail for hundreds of previous notices sent directly from the Dahua cameras once I got my firewall settings sorted.

(Yes, clearly I need further tweaking of motion settings and all that to cut back the number of nuisance notices...)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's obviously a Gmail issue, per se. I've sent and received a hundred, if not hundreds, of notifications through Gmail in just the last couple days as I play with the settings in my new Blue Iris rig. Granted, it's not a Dahua NVR...but the notices are sent and received via Gmail.

And, prior to that, it has been working through Gmail for hundreds of previous notices sent directly from the Dahua cameras once I got my firewall settings sorted.

(Yes, clearly I need further tweaking of motion settings and all that to cut back the number of nuisance notices...)
Yes, it must be a gmail issue. All these dahua NVR's using gmail did not suddenly develop a fault at the same time.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, it must be a gmail issue. All these dahua NVR's using gmail did not suddenly develop a fault at the same time.
Just seems odd to me it would seem only to affect email from Dahua NVRs if it was Gmail proper.

To be more specific about post #12, as of this moment between BI and the Dahua cameras themselves, my stuff has sent 774 emails since 27 Dec though one Gmail account (and I've received those 774 through a second Gmail account). Most of those emails have at least one snapshot attached. There were 100 emails through Gmail just yesterday alone (25 Jan) and every single one with two snapshots attached. If that wouldn't be flagged for some sort of spam or whatever that might incur a block or stripping of attachments I don't know what would...something much greater, apparently.

The only thing encountered is what TonyR mentioned in post 9. I received an email from Gmail about the less secure apps setting he mentioned. However, I had to choose if I would turn off access to less secure apps. Gmail didn't automatically change the setting/impose the setting on my behalf; not for me anyway.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just seems odd to me it would seem only to affect email from Dahua NVRs if it was Gmail proper.

To be more specific about post #12, as of this moment between BI and the Dahua cameras themselves, my stuff has sent 774 emails since 27 Dec though one Gmail account (and I've received those 774 through a second Gmail account). Most of those emails have at least one snapshot attached. There were 100 emails through Gmail just yesterday alone (25 Jan) and every single one with two snapshots attached. If that wouldn't be flagged for some sort of spam or whatever that might incur a block or stripping of attachments I don't know what would...something much greater, apparently.

The only thing encountered is what TonyR mentioned in post 9. I received an email from Gmail about the less secure apps setting he mentioned. However, I had to choose if I would turn off access to less secure apps. Gmail didn't automatically change the setting/impose the setting on my behalf; not for me anyway.
you have no data about the amount of emails those specific nvr's are sending, so it's very possible Gmail would be blocking your blue iris emails if they were more frequent. The point is it's impossible for nvr's to start developing a problem like this at the same time randomly and only for Gmail.

Sirty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You found this thread. And there is something you can do about it......have you tried it ?
Yes, I did find this thread in a very quick IPCT search to see if others were having the issue. I hadn't had the time to try your fix at the time of finding this thread. I have since tried it and it has increased the number of emails received, but there are still some being blocked. So it's better but still intermittent at best. I'm going to look through the other thread you referenced to see if I can try what's mentioned in there. Thanks for your help.