Which Cameras/Setup would go for with your home?

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered my right after you, it came on Tuesday. Got it installed today, after so many trouble with the NVR.
So far I can't get Email to work with my Gmail account, LaView NET android mobile app ain't working. Scanned QR Code nothing happens.
LaView doesn't even have this NVR listed in the download for FW.

Sample night view with total darkness, as there was termite flying like crazy out there I had to turn off all my exterior lights. 4 Solar lights and 2 Spotlight LED on would look much better at identifying.
upload_2018-5-17_0-46-13.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can also enable two-factor authentication on your gmail account and then CREATE application passwords (I believe this is ONLY an option after you enable two-factor), and those passwords BYPASS your regular password and two-factor.

That way if your camera were compromised, they would have a worthless application password and not your actual password to your gmail account.

If you are one of the silly 59% ( https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender.com/blog/59-of-people-use-the-same-password-everywhere-poll-finds-19851.html) that use the same password for everything (still in 2018 wtf), then you will also be protecting your credit card, bank, Netflix and other accounts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hard Drive finally came in, and installed. Ran into a somewhat issue if anyone can help.

I plugged in the cameras into different ports, and now they wont detect any. It keeps saying "password is incorrect" when I plug it in and try to detect it.

Wondering if theres a way to completely reset these cameras? Already reset the nvr multiple times.

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
Everything pretty much goes through the NVR, so really re-read the manual. As for myself, I plug it straight to my PoE Cisco switch to test if PoE works on my switch, then I use SADP tool from HIKVISION to look up the camera and manage it Tools - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. . I did plugs all my cameras let it run for a day and play around with it first before actually pulling wires and install them if I end up with a bad unit it will be a PITA to pull the system out and exchange. I'm pretty sure I didn't plug all the camera back in the same port. I do see the NVR reserves the IP when the camera gets plug into the NVR.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything pretty much goes through the NVR, so really re-read the manual. As for myself, I plug it straight to my PoE Cisco switch to test if PoE works on my switch, then I use SADP tool from HIKVISION to look up the camera and manage it Tools - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. . I did plugs all my cameras let it run for a day and play around with it first before actually pulling wires and install them if I end up with a bad unit it will be a PITA to pull the system out and exchange. I'm pretty sure I didn't plug all the camera back in the same port. I do see the NVR reserves the IP when the camera gets plug into the NVR.
Exactly. I think I need to read how to reset the password and ip.

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you're doing this at your NVR, not through the Web.
I would go to Maintenance/Default and do a factory default reset if you haven't done so.
Once it boots up, go through the startup wizard again.
Note! Remember the activation code you create during the process that's what you'll need to use to input into the WUI/Local/Encryption Key and select Auto Start Live View.
I believe I might only activate one camera and the last three just detect itself when I connect them to the NVR.
-the NVR does reserve the camera IP, if you switch port it should follow.
When I installed mine, I'm pretty sure I mixed up the cameras in different ports, but they all came up fine.

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
One other tip, don't bother wasting your time with Motion Detection alert to email or audible warning. It will drive you bananas. I have been spending few days tweaking it from the lowest sensitivity of 20 to 60 doesn't do me any good. As this will trigger with birds flying through for 1sec will trigger it, not I notice that the birds fly around my house over 100s of times but I hardly have seen them I'm doing my yard work for hours. Exposer changes when a cloud blocks the sun, at night is worse with the IR does attracts some bugs. If there's an FW update that allows motion drop for less than 2secs would resolve this issue. But I looked all over the WUI and the NVR there's no other option besides the sensitivity.

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
Gary, did you figure it out?

Take a look at this articles to access Camera's Web GUI through the Hikvision NVR.
How to Access a Camera's Web GUI through the Hikvision NVR : Wrightwood Surveillance Support
Accessing directly to the Camera you'll definitely see more advances settings of the cameras than what you're seeing through the NVR and the NVR's WUI.
Also, you want to enable backlight WDR and tunes the level best suit your situation.

Also, download the Hik-Connect app instead LaView-Net is a lite version of Hik-Connect and more frustrated to uses.
Add an Online Device and enter the 9 digits SN as blind out below, make sure you have port 80 open for you NVR for remote access.
upload_2018-5-21_11-6-31.png

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @sw07tc, I called laview and they sorted it out.

Now the last and probably hardest step is installing the camera system.

Any advice or tips on installing these? I'm guessing I would first find out where I'm placing the cameras, slowly drill a hole a in the middle of the drill template, then the others, put a anchor on the side outlets, and screw the cameras in.

Then inside the attic, I'm thinking I might have to do a drop to bring the cables into my bedroom with my monitor and nvr?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most IP cams have a 'Y' pigtail with a female RJ-45 Ethernet connector and a barrel jack for 12VDC, the harness is about 8-12" long, thermoplastic and IMHO, not meant to be exposed 24/7 to the elements, especially direct moisture. The RJ-45 will take about a 1" hole to fit, an un-terminated CAT-5e or 6 much smaller, about 3/8".

What I'm getting at is installing a PVC, circular electrical box outside, run your cable into it, and terminate it with an RJ-45 and test. You have pre-drilled the box cover and pre-mounted your camera bracket and cam onto the cover, just hook up the cable, stuff the pigtail into the box, place cover and cam on box and screw it down, aim the cam. Full pictures, source of materials, cost and directions ==>> Bullet Camera Mounting Box.

You may not like the idea, it's your install, it's just something that worked for me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good ideas here @GaryTX87

Remember when using these HF sticks to put electrical tape on the joints so they do not spin off ( happened to me the first time I used them ).

I highly recommend what @TonyR shows - make your own or buy a special made for your camera junction box, and use a section of conduit to bring the entire unit low enough on the wall to get a good chance of an ID image of suspects. ( < 8 feet high ). Use quality solid copper wire bulk cat5e/6 cable for the smallest holes possible and customize your lengths of cable used ( always leave a bit extra ).

I pick these up at HF for $10, makes installation a breeze! I re-ran my three other Foscam too.
3/16 in. x 33 Ft. Fiberglass Wire Running Kit
I use 1" drill bit, I did a drone video of my camera install around my house and maybe a review of the setup later on.

sw07tc

n3wb
Reaction score
I might need to runs new Cat6 solid copper wire for my 2MP cams, both of it seems to have some interference and shorten all the wire and use that twist on the weatherproof seal that it came with.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I might need to runs new Cat6 solid copper wire for my 2MP cams, both of it seems to have some interference and shorten all the wire and use that twist on the weatherproof seal that it came with.
Remember to keep the cable runs away from electrical lines and motors, as well as florescent light fixtures.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
If you absolutely MUST cross an AC line, do so at a right angle and don't run parallel to AC power lines unless 3 ft. away or more.

Last edited:

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone and give a big thanks to @mat200 and @TonyR along with everyone else who chimmed in this thread!

So the cameras are installed (not by me, my family went behind my back a day or two after, and hired some people to install them). They put the 4mp in the back, and the 2mp in the front (figures), but overall I'm happy with the image and quality. To say these installers do this everyday, they were not too familiar with anything I talked about, and kept recommending a analog dvr (which I quickly declined, and I'm glad I listened to you @mat200)!

The neighbor issue is getting worst though, the neighbors are shooting the figure to the camera and cussing everytime they see them. Presented information to the local pd, but they said there isn't much they can do for them cussing or loud music (that's one of the main issues. This guy blast his music, so you can hear the bass rattle from his house to ours, and he turns it up and down during the day and night. To the point its irritating. The landlord is siding with him, so not sure what we can do) in the video.

How would I add a mic/audio to one or two of the cameras? Would I need this, or how would it work?

LaView Surveillance System Microphone with Audio Cable

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How would I add a mic/audio to one or two of the cameras? Would I need this, or how would it work?

LaView Surveillance System Microphone with Audio Cable
Hi Gary,

Happy to help out, you may want to find a camera which has a built in microphone.

I don't know the hikvision oem line up well, but I would look at one of their 2MP darkfighter cameras which has a microphone built in.

Hopefully the installers pulled an extra cable(s) so you can easily add another camera.

note that is only compatible with their cheaper analog kits - "Compatibile with all LaView analog DVRs and HD analog DVRs"

You may have to see if your city has a noise ordinance which would be helpful - perhaps checking the city code section.