Dahua NVR Quiet Silent Fan Mod

Fellouss

n3wb
Reaction score
I just changed my PSU FAN by the Noctua like everyone did here and it is a game changer, for real!
Thanks everyone!!

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did some of you changed also the fan case (size 40x10)?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
No, for me at 63 yrs changing the power supply fan was enough. The case fan just makes a blowing air sound, not like the siren noise of the power supply fan.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Working from home full time now in the same room as the nvr. Finally had to do the mod with the noctua fans. Holy crap, what a difference! Followed this video.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 is noisy and noisier than the previous one I had. It was same model. With ceiling fan and blues on the NVR does not bother me. Are all Dahua NVRs noisy?
All these damn NVR's have fairly noisy fans.
I put Noctua's in 2 Nightowl DVR's just a stock replacement. That was all I needed. one machin eis in the garage, and the other is at work in a Rack with a Cisco POE switch so you can't hear the DVR now.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
My Hikvision NVR fan doesn't make any noise......it is sitting literally 2 feet in front of me on my desk and I cannot hear it running. But, as a side disclaimer, my audiologist says I have a 60% hearing loss in both ears. But what does he know? I can never understand him as he always mumbles while he is whispering.....

Power Neet

n3wb
Reaction score
What a noise level.
Just replaced my "SUNON EF40101B1-1Q08C-S99" noise generator (the main problem of the noise) with an "NF-A4x10 FLX".
Now my DHI-NVR5208-8P-4KS2E sounds silently, all the noise gone with the wind....
In my recorder you can insert the "NF-A4x10 FLX" directly on the main board as if they already seen the problem and added an 4 point connector with an 3 point possibility to connect an "NF-A4x10 FLX"

Also replaced the "NF-A4x20-FLX" but that doesn't fix much noise.
Inserted an simple SSD disk for recording, speed, and prevent heat.

Also attached the photos, take advantage of them.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

akuma69

n3wb
Reaction score
What a noise level.
Just replaced my "SUNON EF40101B1-1Q08C-S99" noise generator (the main problem of the noise) with an "NF-A4x10 FLX".
Now my DHI-NVR5208-8P-4KS2E sounds silently, all the noise gone with the wind....
In my recorder you can insert the "NF-A4x10 FLX" directly on the main board as if they already seen the problem and added an 4 point connector with an 3 point possibility to connect an "NF-A4x10 FLX"

Also replaced the "NF-A4x20-FLX" but that doesn't fix much noise.
Inserted an simple SSD disk for recording, speed, and prevent heat.

Also attached the photos, take advantage of them.

Thanks everyone.

I also have the "SUNON EF40101B1-1Q08C-S99" 4 pin case fan on my dahua SMD NVR.

why did you use "NF-A4x10 FLX" and not "NF-A4x10 PWM"?

NF-A4x10 FLX (3 pin)

NF-A4x10 PWM (4 pin)

Why is the 3 pin FLX better than 4 pin PWM? I thought PWM is what the motherboard does. Adjusts the speed of fan through BIOS.

Plus PWM 4 pin does 5000 rpm compared to 4500 rpm max for FLX.

Last edited:

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed the NF-A4x10 PWM fans are out of stock on Amazon. Anyone have any expierence with any other fan brands or types? I would prefer to get mine off Amazon since I have prime but any other site is fine too. I know this thread is kind of old so I'm wondering if anyone else made or descovered anything recent when trying to reduce noise while still increasing airflow with their NVR.

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I cut the fan mesh guards off.
I know this is an old thread, but just be aware that when you cut the wire mesh off it can affect the EMI (RF interference) integrity of the NVR. That wire mesh isn't there just for safety reasons but also FCC RF emissions compliance. Don't use a replacement fan that moves less CFM of airflow than the original and don't remove the fan entirely as I saw in one post. I do new product thermal design qualification testing and the fans are there and properly sized for a reason based on thermal engineering design requirements for proper cooling. Heat is the enemy of electronic components and while you may not see an immediate failure, however running components close to or above their maximum rated temperature specifications will result in malfunction, complete failure, or reduced lifespan.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My NF-A4x20 PWM fans 40x20mm fan came today. Testing it out on an old Dahua NVR I had laying around before I try it out on my current installed one. Dumb question but how do you remove the fan cable from the PSU's side motherboard thing? Everything is so jammed packed that its hard to get my fingers or pliers in without touching everything.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My NF-A4x20 PWM fans 40x20mm fan came today. Testing it out on an old Dahua NVR I had laying around before I try it out on my current installed one. Dumb question but how do you remove the fan cable from the PSU's side motherboard thing? Everything is so jammed packed that its hard to get my fingers or pliers in without touching everything.
It's winter so air is dry and subject to static.
Do on wood table or plastic, no cloth on it.
Go short-sleeved for 10 minutes during the process, no wool or nylon pants, etc. Naked is best! :winktongue:
After you quit walking and moving around and are sitting at the table or bench, ground yourself if possible to discharge any static; ideally wear a grounding-wrist strap.
NVR/DVR unplugged from the power supply or wall outlet.
Use long needle-nose pliers: place them so when gently squeezed the latch is pressed near the top so that it disengages from the bottom notch, then rock gently side-to-side as you pull upward.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So far it still ain't happening. I think its my needle-nose pliers. They have these smooth tips that keep slipping whenever I apply force and slidding off the plastic on to the cables and probably damaging the wires. I might just try out that quieter PSU someone posted, I can't see myself doing this on my main NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far it still ain't happening. I think its my needle-nose pliers. They have these smooth tips that keep slipping whenever I apply force and slidding off the plastic on to the cables and probably damaging the wires. I might just try out that quieter PSU someone posted, I can't see myself doing this on my main NVR.
The plug on the fan-end connector usually has a latch so that it orients the plug properly to provide polarity, insuring the plug won't be installed backwards. They're DC fans and will run backwards or not at all if 3 wire / PWM.

Maybe time for some new needle-nosed or flat nosed pliers; I have an old pair that have lost all serrations that provide grip.....they were my first pair in the 70's and I just hang onto them. I have a newer pair with good, serrated teeth when I need a good grip.