Dahua NVR Quiet Silent Fan Mod

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I managed to find a decent pair of needle-nose pliers with better teeth laying around I had forgotten about and was able to remove the connector(barely). Now my next question is how do you fit that extra long cable back into the PSU? I'm not all that familiar with the inner workings of electronics like this and been using rubber gloves this whole time. What part is safe for the fan wire to touch or does it really matter? I watched that Tech-Bulletin video from this thread and that guy just stuffed that long wire into the PSU and looked like part of it was blocking the fan a bit all while I kept thing to myself "That can't be good for the airflow".

I had an idea I of moving the whole fan wire outside the PSU since there is an opening at the top and move it around to the back of the PSU since there is an opening in the back along with other wires. Pic for example
1230232135.jpg
1230232137.jpg

Something like that once I cut the old fan wire and add the omni joints. Would that be acquitted?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I watched that Tech-Bulletin video from this thread and that guy just stuffed that long wire into the PSU and looked like part of it was blocking the fan a bit all while I kept thing to myself "That can't be good for the airflow".
I would not cut any wires or re-locate the fan.
Just coil up the excess fan wire and lash it somewhere away from the fan blades and the exhaust opening using smaller nylon wire ties (zip ties).

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back again, I've been too busy lately and haven't been home for a few days to replace my PSU fan yet but I just now realize that every one and video has been talking about the Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX(3 pin) fans and not the NF-A4x20 PWM (4 pin) fans, the one I have. NF-A4x20 PWM

lol did I get the wrong PSU fan? When I checked amazon they mention the NF-A4x20 PWM fans are more suited for things like servers or devices that need to be left on while the FLX ones mention being useful for desktops. Not sure if there's anything different with them other than an extra wire and pin. Does it matter if you use a Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM 4 pin connector or a the FLX 3 pin connector for these PSU fans?

Another thing, my Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM (4 pin connector) fan wires were black, yellow, green, blue. Basically there's no red wire. So if I use the omnijoin adapter, the wires would go black(fan) to black(2 pin adapter) for the ground and yellow(fan) to red(2 pin adapter) and there's no other way to fit the adapter(from what I tried) other than the spots I mentioned. I'm not all the knowledgeable about the wire color schematics either but this fan should still work with these NVR PSU's right?

Never mind, just got back home and looked it up. The 4 pins are fine to use and yellow wire is the 12v one so I worried over nothing.

Replaced my fan and went with the out and around method with the cables. There was just no way I could see myself packing all that extra cable inside the PSU
0106240418.jpg

Everything has been working well so far, I never bothered to get a Noctua case fan. Been wondering if I should.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I purchased the NF-A4x10 PWM fan for the case fan. The connector that came with the fan is 4 pin but will not slide onto the connector on the motherboard due to the clips having a narrower female channel on the top grooves. Do you just clip these grooves off or do you splice the old fans connector onto the noctua fan?

Last question, is the replacement power supply that was previously linked compatible with NVR8CH-8P-2AI. I think it might just be easier to replace the power supply if that fan is much quieter than the one I have. I can hear this nvr across my entire house if I leave the bedroom door open, it's louder than anything I've heard. I appreciate your help.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I purchased the NF-A4x10 PWM fan for the case fan. The connector that came with the fan is 4 pin but will not slide onto the connector on the motherboard due to the clips having a narrower female channel on the top grooves. Do you just clip these grooves off or do you splice the old fans connector onto the noctua fan?

Last question, is the replacement power supply that was previously linked compatible with NVR8CH-8P-2AI. I think it might just be easier to replace the power supply if that fan is much quieter than the one I have. I can hear this nvr across my entire house if I leave the bedroom door open, it's louder than anything I've heard. I appreciate your help.
I did this to the exact NVR you have a few months back and it was a life saver! The one in the power supply is the easy one. The other one you have to make sure the right colors go together. I can get you all the right information of you don’t have it figured out by the end of next week (away from home until then).

Reaction score
Thanks, please let me know as I have no idea what I am doing. I took the case off, took the case fan out. The little bracket I had to drill the holes a bit larger to get the bigger screws for the noctua to fit. I put it in the spot, screwed it in, and then realized the clip didn't clip on the original white piece. Feel free to pm me any instructions, photos, help etc. I appreciate your help!

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, please let me know as I have no idea what I am doing. I took the case off, took the case fan out. The little bracket I had to drill the holes a bit larger to get the bigger screws for the noctua to fit. I put it in the spot, screwed it in, and then realized the clip didn't clip on the original white piece. Feel free to pm me any instructions, photos, help etc. I appreciate your help!
Yes I sure will!