Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes you've got to try to do stuff in order to diagnose and fix things... you never know and it's not a huge effort to unplug some RJ45s from the back of an NVR.
Right, sometimes you do...

I just thought it was a little "I'm reading from a support script" and tone-deaf for Dahua to start with "unplug all of your cameras and let us know if that helps" after multiple NVR owners in this thread shared <after combing through days of their NVR log files> that many of these weird "Reboot Symbol: 0x06f" reboots happen right after a Motion Detection/IVS event. Who knows, maybe Andy didn't report all of the troubleshooting, or something was lost in the translations...

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I updated the firmware last night and reconfigured from scratch..

I don't know if this is an improvement. Lol. The Internet Explorer UI is also completely borked. Need to use the NaCL plugin in chrome now. So... yeah.
upload_2017-5-12_7-0-22.png

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, almost four hours of no recording? WTH? Did the log show anything?

I've had no unexplained reboots since 04/30, when I turned off Motion Detection on my one Hik camera.

Agreed about this firmware borking up the web interface. I can't login using Safari at all, if the Mac has ever had any of the web plug-ins installed. Logs in OK via Safari from a Mac that's never had the web plug-ins installed. Hopefully that must means this firmware version needs updated plug-ins.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, almost four hours of no recording? WTH? Did the log show anything?

I've had no unexplained reboots since 04/30, when I turned off Motion Detection on my one Hik camera.

Agreed about this firmware borking up the web interface. I can't login using Safari at all, if the Mac has ever had any of the web plug-ins installed. Logs in OK via Safari from a Mac that's never had the web plug-ins installed. Hopefully that must means this firmware version needs updated plug-ins.
I didn't have a chance to check the logs before leaving in the morning, but I'm going to dig into it deeper when I get home. Blue Iris has full video for all cameras in that time, so it was definitely an NVR glitch of some sort.

I'll have to try uninstalling the plugin on Internet Explorer and see if reinstalling it works.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm, strange. SmartPSS now shows full footage now. Nothing seems to be missing. I'll keep an eye on it I guess. Hrrrm.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The other change from my last setup is I do not have the hik camera added. I will have to add it to ensure the setup is comparable

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So far stable with recording IVS events from just the Dahua cameras. I'll try re-adding the Hik in a few days and see if things keep being stable.
Thanks for the ongoing updates! I know there are others as well as myself watching this thread..

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those following this thread @Tygunn can you confirm again that the new software update for the nvr has stopped the reboot issue and has stopped the missing frames when an IVS event is triggered?

On my system I have not setup ivs events on my dahua cameras yet for the reason of missing / jumping frames.

If the new update fixes the issue then this is big news for us.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's how the update did on my 5216-4KS2:

Missing frames on Motion Detection/IVS events -- not fixed
Reboots -- unknown ... my reboots stopped about two weeks before this update came out when I turned off Motion Detection on the one Hik camera I have attached to this NVR ... haven't had the urge to turn that feature back on to see if this update fixed it,

The update borked the web interface on mine. It's unusable for me from either Safari or IE. Hopefully updated web plug-ins fix that.

The update added some new functionality on mine. The Smart Motion thing now says it supports IVS, and I can zoom/focus my 5231 from the NVR now.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those following this thread @Tygunn can you confirm again that the new software update for the nvr has stopped the reboot issue and has stopped the missing frames when an IVS event is triggered?

On my system I have not setup ivs events on my dahua cameras yet for the reason of missing / jumping frames.

If the new update fixes the issue then this is big news for us.
I will do some IVS event testing tonight and see if the missed frames problem still persists.

I have seen no reboots so far, however I haven't got the HIK hooked up to the NVR at the moment. I'm planning to reconnect it once I've verified the NVR is relatively stable without it.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's how the update did on my 5216-4KS2:

Missing frames on Motion Detection/IVS events -- not fixed
Reboots -- unknown ... my reboots stopped about two weeks before this update came out when I turned off Motion Detection on the one Hik camera I have attached to this NVR ... haven't had the urge to turn that feature back on to see if this update fixed it,

The update borked the web interface on mine. It's unusable for me from either Safari or IE. Hopefully updated web plug-ins fix that.

The update added some new functionality on mine. The Smart Motion thing now says it supports IVS, and I can zoom/focus my 5231 from the NVR now.
Hmm, too bad the missing frames issue isn't fixed. I'll see if my experience mirrors this.

I had a hard time getting the reboots to start up again on my system prior to the update as well. It seems like the motion detection turned off on the HIK on its own, and then the problem went away. It took a few days after turning it on again for the problem to re-assert itself.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm keeping a close eye on this thread as I will need to make a purchase soon - still leaning towards a NVR solution rather than BlueIris.

Seems like is might be an issue with the 5216 models, does anyone with a NVR4216-4KS2 having the same problem?

With the 5216 being the pro model which is only $30 or so more expensive than the 4216, I'd rather have the 4216 if it ends up being more stable/reliable!

what I mean is even though the 4216 is cheaper, the 5216 on paper seems better value considering the hardware upgrades for only an extra $30 - but that means nothing if it isn't stable!

Reaction score
Anyone having done the firmware update, had to revert to the previous firmware because of new problems? I believe I'm going to go for the new firmware, but only if I can revert to the previous version. Getting an average of 4 - 6 reboots a day due to IVS triggers. Always at a critical time.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had tried adding the Hik camera this evening. It turns out in the process of doing that, the NVR deleted the logins/passwords for ALL of the cameras, so nothing recorded for a span of 3 hours until I have a chance to fix it. Thankfully BlueIris keeps humming along.

I've got the Hikvision camera re-added and motion detection active for it. We'll see if this causes the NVR to act even more unstable.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had tried adding the Hik camera this evening. It turns out in the process of doing that, the NVR deleted the logins/passwords for ALL of the cameras
Do think this is a new problem with the new firmware or Do you think iot was just a "oops" moment when you were adding the Hik camera?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do think this is a new problem with the new firmware or Do you think iot was just a "oops" moment when you were adding the Hik camera?
I'm pretty sure its not something I did. It would be a pretty big oops for me to open all the cameras and delete the username and password. :)

I used SmartPSS to add the Hikvision camera since the web UIs were all still broken for me. I suspect it is probably an interaction with SmartPSS and the new NVR firmware. An incompatibility I suppose.

I was, however, able to get all the web UIs working. In Chrome I deleted the NaCl plugin. When I reinstalled it per the NVR it works fine. In Internet Exploiter I deleted the ActiveX component and added it back again per the NVR's auto-install nag. Both work fine now.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its not something I did. It would be a pretty big oops for me to open all the cameras and delete the username and password. :)

I used SmartPSS to add the Hikvision camera since the web UIs were all still broken for me. I suspect it is probably an interaction with SmartPSS and the new NVR firmware. An incompatibility I suppose.

I was, however, able to get all the web UIs working. In Chrome I deleted the NaCl plugin. When I reinstalled it per the NVR it works fine. In Internet Exploiter I deleted the ActiveX component and added it back again per the NVR's auto-install nag. Both work fine now.
Well it's good to know that the web interfaces are not entirely borked and just need to be reloaded. Now to see if it'll handle that hik camera without shiting the bed.

That currently won't affect me as I am going to be doing all Dahua cameras. prior to everyone's testing and process of elimination the fact that it was a different camera brand wasn't even certain, and May in fact not be even now though it seems to be pointing that way.