Dahua NVR to recommend

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just starting out and need opinions. My cameras will all be dahua and will start out one by one beginning with the 5231. May add a 4k in future so need nvr to suit. Local ebay supplier has "over stock" of the no logo 4208 4k non poe version A$169. I will pair to a dahua poe switch. I've also seen the nvr5208-4ks2 which is newer version. Any benefit of the newer model?? Should I just go to Andy?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just starting out and need opinions. My cameras will all be dahua and will start out one by one beginning with the 5231. May add a 4k in future so need nvr to suit. Local ebay supplier has "over stock" of the no logo 4208 4k non poe version A$169. I will pair to a dahua poe switch. I've also seen the nvr5208-4ks2 which is newer version. Any benefit of the newer model?? Should I just go to Andy?
Consider a PC based VMS like blueiris.

Reaction score
Consider a PC based VMS like blueiris.
I bought Blue Iris and played with if for about one week. I came to the decision that I am not interested in building another computer/ lowering resolution, etc. to go that route at this point (I was sold on going this way for a while, but I just need something easier right now). Thanks for your reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought Blue Iris and played with if for about one week. I came to the decision that I am not interested in building another computer/ lowering resolution, etc. to go that route at this point (I was sold on going this way for a while, but I just need something easier right now). Thanks for your reply.
You don't have to build another computer.. there are available pre-built... And you don't have to lower resolutions... You are misinformed... And NVR is not in any way easier than blueiris and in many ways more complex...

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not overly computer literate and in my research looked at blue iris but in the end thought simplicity was utmost and hence my nvr question. I have no doubt that blue iris is probably at the top end but not for me. Thanks for that suggestion though..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not overly computer literate and in my research looked at blue iris but in the end thought simplicity was utmost and hence my nvr question. I have no doubt that blue iris is probably at the top end but not for me. Thanks for that suggestion though..
blue iris is nowhere near the top end...i encourage you to buy the nvr and learn your lesson on your own...you seem to know better.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As an owner of a number of Dahua NVR/DVR's including 2 of the 4208 4K POE versions, I'd recommend stepping up to the 5208

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like plug and play. If I did go down pc path, I've got an old xp computer or even a Windows 8 laptlap, but would probably be intimidated by too many program variations and not really knowing, but i suppose the same for an nvr.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like plug and play. If I did go down pc path, I've got an old xp computer or even a Windows 8 laptlap, but would probably be intimidated by too many program variations and not really knowing, but i suppose the same for an nvr.
plug and play...yes, cute marketing for nvr's...you cannot use an old desktop with xp or your old laptop..both are garbage...

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know an all in one plug n play is a good selling tactic, but as I said, I am not overly tech savvy and really only need the basic options available with an NVR. At this time I'm really only looking at basic recording and maybe remote viewing that an NVR seems to offer. I'm not after a fully customisable solution with all the bells and whistles. As pointed out my old pc gear is shite and at this time an additional pc purchase/rebuild was not in the equation. Thanks for the info and @fenderman please don't think I was not respecting your opinion as I don't know better, but keeping it simple as well as cost is important. Thanks @bigredfish, I am assuming the 4208 is discontinued and the 5208 will potentially offer me more as my system and indeed my experience grows.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know an all in one plug n play is a good selling tactic, but as I said, I am not overly tech savvy and really only need the basic options available with an NVR. At this time I'm really only looking at basic recording and maybe remote viewing that an NVR seems to offer. I'm not after a fully customisable solution with all the bells and whistles. As pointed out my old pc gear is shite and at this time an additional pc purchase/rebuild was not in the equation. Thanks for the info and @fenderman please don't think I was not respecting your opinion as I don't know better, but keeping it simple as well as cost is important. Thanks @bigredfish, I am assuming the 4208 is discontinued and the 5208 will potentially offer me more as my system and indeed my experience grows.
a pc to run your cams is 100 (third gen i5-3570)...why do you keep mentioning build/rebuild if you have no clue on how to do either?

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same question regarding a recommended NVR for one or maybe at most two HDW4431C-A cameras I bought direct from China (ebay) a couple years ago. Doesn't have to be POE. The NVR just has to be able to work with these cameras (I think these came with modded firmware) and do basic motion-detection and recording. I'd probably buy it off ebay direct from China. I'm thinking what-ever is suggested will cost under $200 (without hard drive - I'd install my own). Any suggestions?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you really only want the basics and prefer plug and play NVR is for you. I have had 4 cameras and NVR (POE) running more than a year. Just to record and if there is an event to search for it. Have not bothered with setting up alerts because we have many dogs that bark. Yes, please try Andy. If you need something better later you can try Blue Iris and similar.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same question regarding a recommended NVR for one or maybe at most two HDW4431C-A cameras I bought direct from China (ebay) a couple years ago. Doesn't have to be POE. The NVR just has to be able to work with these cameras (I think these came with modded firmware) and do basic motion-detection and recording. I'd probably buy it off ebay direct from China. I'm thinking what-ever is suggested will cost under $200 (without hard drive - I'd install my own). Any suggestions?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With modded you mean hacked? I have seen warnings that Dahua NVRs will not work or will stop working with cameras that have hacked firmware.

Last edited:

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
> With modded you mean hacked?

It's my vague understanding that the cameras I bought, indeed many of these 4k cameras that were being sold a few years ago (maybe still are) on ebay direct from china had model numbers that were "chinese market only" and as manufactured would have had chinese-language menus/web-interface, and the modding would have been to replace the chinese with english prior to being sold on ebay. I think this is the reason why these things (and some NVR's too) are listed as non-upgradable (firmware wise) on ebay (or ali baba or where-ever they show up online). In any case, will these cameras have issues when connected to Dahua NVR's?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
> With modded you mean hacked?

It's my vague understanding that the cameras I bought, indeed many of these 4k cameras that were being sold a few years ago (maybe still are) on ebay direct from china had model numbers that were "chinese market only" and as manufactured would have had chinese-language menus/web-interface, and the modding would have been to replace the chinese with english prior to being sold on ebay. I think this is the reason why these things (and some NVR's too) are listed as non-upgradable (firmware wise) on ebay (or ali baba or where-ever they show up online). In any case, will these cameras have issues when connected to Dahua NVR's?
Please find below the warning:

Important! About dahua hacked Chinese cams and NVR issues

You can maybe order NVR and if there are problems return it. I have hacked Dahua 4431 turrets that work with a new Dahua NVR but better not to try upgrade as long as I use the 4431s.