Dahua nvr5216-16p-4ks2e defaults random camera names after reboot

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have bigger issues than the camera names.
I know you can go into the camera's web GUI and update the name there too...maybe there is a conflict and the NVR is not pushing the update correctly to the cameras?
I know a lot of folks here advise to make any changes for the cameras on the web GUI of the camera itself, with Internet Explorer.
I have a new Dahua NVR I will be setting up this weekend and swapping a tempt rebranded NVR with it.
I have a spare lower quality camera...before I start putting the permanent config on my NVR, I will do some testing.
I know the name update between the NVR GUI and camera GUI itself seem quite different.
I will report back what I find.
Just wanted let you know that I have done extensive experimentation with this issue. I have changed camera names from the web GUI of the cameras themselves, web GUI of NVR as well as the NVR GUI itself. All result in same issue. Camera names change to “channel x”, “channel xx,” etc. which tells me that the NVR is assigning these names because when a camera defaults, it defaults to “IPC”

ps. I reboot once per week because I find that for some reason it helps maintain the time more accurately.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
What i have noticed with my dahua 5216 NVR is that sometimes it appears to "freeze" when viewing on the attached hdmi TV. I have found that turning the TV off and on will reset this and allow viewing and the mouse to access the menus. It is still recording and there is no need to restart the NVR.

The "freezing" appears to be an issue with the HDMI output.

I have also noticed if i do reboot the NVR It will randomly change some channel to their default names as other posters have experienced.

@EMPIRETECANDY This further information may help

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is good info however I’m not seeing how this would be relevant to solve the issue at hand. The NVR is allowing camera name changes whether through web gui, NVR gui, or smartpss. However at random times, random cameras will revert to “channel xx”. This happens after a reboot but not after all reboots. It’s completely random.

So we are able to set camera names. It’s just that they randomly revert back.

Last edited:

cmos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the 5216-16p-4ks2e with the same issue, would love to give the new firmware a try.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this problem too on a unit but some cams are Dahua, some are an OEM and some are in ONVIF mode.
The ones which never fail are Dahua. The always fail on reboot are ONVIF and the sometimes fail every 3-4reboots are an OEM.

So what cams are connected ? Genuine Dahua not grey market?

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same Dahua NVR and I can confirm the issue.

I noticed it after I upgraded to firmware version V4.001.0000006.1, Build Date: 2021-07-09.

Fortunately, I reboot very infrequently so it's just a minor annoyance.

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have bigger issues than the camera names.
I know you can go into the camera's web GUI and update the name there too...maybe there is a conflict and the NVR is not pushing the update correctly to the cameras?
I know a lot of folks here advise to make any changes for the cameras on the web GUI of the camera itself, with Internet Explorer.
I have a new Dahua NVR I will be setting up this weekend and swapping a tempt rebranded NVR with it.
I have a spare lower quality camera...before I start putting the permanent config on my NVR, I will do some testing.
I know the name update between the NVR GUI and camera GUI itself seem quite different.
I will report back what I find.
Sorry, I forgot to report back. Didn't have a lot of time to test this but I didn't have any issues testing with 1 spare cam after 4 reboots.
I don't reboot much either and don't usually rename my cams so it likely won't affect me much/if at all.

bbadger187

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the N54B3P with the same firmware. Does anyone have an older firmware that I can go back to?

luto

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have this issue with a NVR5208-8P-4KS2. Though now that I'm set up I rarely have to reboot the NVR.

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same issue here and I fit a lot of these NVRs. Current one is the NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and after reboot many camera names default to Channel 1,2,3 etc. No pattern as some keep their names and others don't.

Very annoying bug which Dahua need to fix.

Jdawg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue with ONVIF cameras on a new NVR. Has anyone found a working solution apart from rolling back?

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same issue with ONVIF cameras on a new NVR. Has anyone found a working solution apart from rolling back?
The 2022 firmware solves the camera default name issue but could have other issues.

Jdawg

n3wb
Reaction score
The 2022 firmware solves the camera default name issue but could have other issues.
The NVR in question is a NVR5232-16P-4KS2E-12TB and from looking on the Dahua site the latest firmware is 2021, where can you get hold of the 2022 firmware?

Thanks

Jdawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately that didn't work for me but with the help of our supplier if you enable "Overlay" and give it a name it also changes the camera name in the NVR.

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No you're not going mad but it appears Dahua are unaware of the problem. I've reported it to the technical team at my suppliers and they claim to not have heard about this issue before.
I'm taking delivery of another 5208 unit this week so will test and see if the same thing happens.
I agree it's very annoying and there appears no pattern to what causes it.