Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With my non-PoE 5216, the HDD seeking noise was louder than the fan. The fan was a low hum.

I only used it with one non-Dahua camera (a Hikvision) and it worked fine (using ONVIF).

Not that it matters functionality wise, but you can upgrade the firmware with the Dahua logo’ed version.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
First, I just stumbled across this forum as I was researching Dahua NVRs. Whata great wealth of info on this forum and I have been trying to read as many threads as I can, but it is hard to get at all the info I need. I am in the US and was looking at Amcrest (they OEM Dahua) and was not impressed with the NVR selection. I am leaning toward the NVR5216-4KS2 from @EMPIRETECANDY and had a few questions, please bear with me as I am new to IP Cameras.

I do not need on-board POE as I picked up a Netgear GS724TPv2 which is a sweet switch. This will allow me to do some VLANs I have been wanting to do for a while now. I wanted a 16 channel NVR as I plan to grow into it after the initial 6-8 cameras.

I picked up some Amcrest cameras a while back to do some initial planning on cam style, placement and resolutions. Will these work on the Dahua non-logo NVR5216-4KS2 or will I lose motion detection and such?

Because of the 1-2 week lead time I was planning on getting the NVR to try for a bit with the Amcrest cameras and then maybe buy some Dahau or more Amcrest cams.

Since the NVR5216-4KS2 does not have POE how noising is the NVR itself? I was going to put it in a media cabinet that has some airflow, but don't want a loud fan distracting to people in the room.

Since it is running Linux, can I put like a Logitech wireless mouse to I can manage the DVR from across the room?

I see some links to firmware and the Smart PSS on this forum, but none of them works, where can I find Smart PSS?

How successful have folks been with adding non-Dahua cameras in general to these non-logo NVRs?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dahua cams surely can work with dahua nvr, no matter logo or no logo, they are the same things. For the noise, i have to say ,if you put at a working place and in cabinet that would be OK. For the installation tools, now can all download here. wireless Mouse is fine.

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/support/downloadCenter/tools/MaintenanceTools?child=332

Dxue

n3wb
Reaction score
can't find a smartpss topic on the forum, so i will try it here (if there is one, please consider this as not posted).
I have the NVR5216-4KS2 and is recording all my camera's. but in the past before i had setup my nvr, i used the nvr on smartpss. nowadays, whenever i start smartpss, it will automatically start the pc nvr too and give very loud beeps when doing it. as I am not using the pc-nvr anymore, i was wondering if anyone knows how to turn this off? everything is off in the pc-nvr tab already and i just can't seem to get it to stop.

on another note, has anyone here have the 'problem' of the playback on the nvr not being accurate? when playing back using smartpss i can't precisely start the recording where i want it to start. usually it starts like a minute earlier or later. using the android app, i don't have this problem. so i am guessing that the problem lies with smartpss? it happens on multiple computers with smartpss too.

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered NVR5216-4KS2 from Andy, looking forward to getting it. Next to finalize some cameras. I have 2 Amcrest to test with for now. I am leaning toward a WD Purple 6TB drive. NExt to get started on running the pre-wiring.

Pedro Tera

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not need on-board POE as I picked up a Netgear GS724TPv2 which is a sweet switch. This will allow me to do some VLANs I have been wanting to do for a while now. I wanted a 16 channel NVR as I plan to grow into it after the initial 6-8 cameras.
Edited the quote for brevity...

Can you please comment on the noise levels of the Netgear switch? Any other info on it is welcome as well.
I am considering your setup, in case I decide to go with an NVR.
Tia

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Edited the quote for brevity...

Can you please comment on the noise levels of the Netgear switch? Any other info on it is welcome as well.
I am considering your setup, in case I decide to go with an NVR.
Tia
The 24 port Netgear is very quite, it has variable fans so with hardly any load they are very quite. I don't have much on the switch yet and it will be another 2 weeks before I get the rest of my cameras. Ambient temps in the room where it is are around 70. Reading the Amazon reviews one person said they keep it in a closet off a bedroom and can't hear it.

I like the Netgear so far. It supports gigabit on all ports, 190W power budget and supports LAGs, QOS and VLANs. Can;t touch anything like that for the price. Also has lifetime warranty.

jmelan

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you having a problem using the IVS functions from the NVR's web interface? Here's a possible "fix". My 5216-4ks2 is using firmware 3.210.0003.0, Build Date: 2017-04-18 (one version before the very latest, I believe).

On the DVR web interface, go to SETUP/EVENT/HEAT MAP, choose the channel of the problem camera, then press SETUP for the period.

That's it. Just cancel out and see if the IVS setup now works for the camera. I don't think you even need to change anything in the period setup. I didn't click to select the "channel" check box in the heat map setup. I wouldn't want to explain any logic for this. It worked for 3 of my cameras, and the "fix" remained in place after an NVR reboot.
This seems to have worked for me also, thanks!

5216-4ks2

NVR was only recording IVS events for the first camera, but not the other 3

Seems to be something wrong in setting up the IVS recording schedule with the normal settings, events would trigger and record IVS events to the camera SD card but not the NVR no matter what I set in the NVR schedule.

not sure why this would work, but seems to have fixed my issue as well - can only guess this forces the NVR to update the schedule?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered the NVR5216-16P-4kS2E from Andy but he only has NVR5216-16P-4kS2 in stock. Andy says "E" at the end extends the run past 800m which I do not need since my longest run will be under 150 feet unless I'm not understanding the number correctly. I'm assuming the 800m is per cat6 run but want to make sure that it is not total distance. Can anyone please confirm?

Does anyone know if there is less power consumption with the NVR5216-16P-4kS2E ? I also recall reading that there is a newer model that people are receiving and I want to ensure that is the one that I receive. Thoughts?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has the IVS issue been fixed with the dropped frames that was an issue a year ago?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm reading conflicting info in this thread. Can anyone specify the latest (stable) firmware version not causing random reboots etc?

Is it DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Eng_V3.215.0000000.3.R.20171211

Thank you.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried to do some research and want to use a NVR for my Dahua cameras as an all in one solution. Is the
NVR5216-16P-4KS2 still the "best" consumer grade NVR from dahua? I do got a couple of cisco POE switches, but it doesnt seem to be much price difference between the POE and non POE versions - any disadvatage to buy the POE version.

Anything else I should be aware of before buying?

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference in the non-POE NVR is that it is extremely silent as the power supply is an external brick and the fan is thermal controlled and makes no noise. With a single WD 6TB Purple I can barely hear it, the drive is the loudest component.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference in the non-POE NVR is that it is extremely silent as the power supply is an external brick and the fan is thermal controlled and makes no noise. With a single WD 6TB Purple I can barely hear it, the drive is the loudest component.
I understand. For me noise is not an issue as the room is not where anybody is, it's a technical room where I have fiber optic etc. But would you say the heat from the internal power supply can give a heating issue so it's best to use the non Poe version or is it just the noise?

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I never had the POE version I can;t say, but if you don't enclose it I would expect that it would be fine.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have tried to do some research and want to use a NVR for my Dahua cameras as an all in one solution. Is the
NVR5216-16P-4KS2 still the "best" consumer grade NVR from dahua? I do got a couple of cisco POE switches, but it doesnt seem to be much price difference between the POE and non POE versions - any disadvatage to buy the POE version.

Anything else I should be aware of before buying?
Personally I would prefer the NVR5224-24P, which I did.
If you already own some Cisco switches and it’s a technical room, you might have a 19“ rack like me. The NVR5224-24P is rack mountable, has the airflow from front to back and not side to side, makes less noise than the 5216-16P and is not much more expensive than the 5216-16P.

Reaction score
I understand. For me noise is not an issue as the room is not where anybody is, it's a technical room where I have fiber optic etc. But would you say the heat from the internal power supply can give a heating issue so it's best to use the non Poe version or is it just the noise?
It's personal preference whether you use a POE or non-POE NVR. They both have smart fans for cooling in them, so they will speed up or slow down based on load. The non-POE 5216 is almost quiet, even with 2 hard drives in it. This is my setup for a little over a year. A much bigger concern most should look into, is do you want to run Cat 5/6 cabling for each camera to the NVR? Depending on where you locate the NVR, this could be alot of work. I found it better, and easier, to use an external POE+ switch in the attic or basement, to run all the camera wiring to. Then just run one cable to the NVR and another to the internal network. This allows connectivity for both the NVR and all cameras, from any computer, etc. on the network.

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a very good point. I bring all my cat 5 to to a Netgear managed switch in my basement then the NVR can be anywhere. I ran a cat 5 to the family room and the NVR is in the TV media cabinet in the family room and it is on an input on my 4K TV. If I want to move the NVR it is a one cable move.