Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E built-in PoE switch doesn't act like a switch

majektom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello good and helpful people,

I have a Dahua NVR5232-16P-4KS2E recorder which has a built-in 16 port PoE switch. Apart from IP cameras, I want to connect to the switch Dahua VTO and Dahua VTH. The problem that I have is that when I connect the VTO and the VTH to NVR switch's ports, they don't see each other in the NVR's LAN. The NVR gives them IP addresses via DHCP and the NVR sees them both. I also connected a laptop to one of the built-in switch ports and the situation is the same. I can access the NVR web page and can ping the NVR but neither can I access any service on VTO and VTH nor ping them. Is this the intentional behavior of the NVR's built-in switch that it isolates devices connected to its ports? Shouldn't it act as a regular Ethernet switch where all devices connected to it compose one LAN segment and can access each other? Is it maybe configurable? I spent whole day trying to find an option which would change the behavior and I failed?

I hope someone can help me because I started to lose any hope. Cheers.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello good and helpful people,

..... Is this the intentional behavior of the NVR's built-in switch that it isolates devices connected to its ports? .
***Note I'm a networking novice

yes. The "P" NVR's with built-in switch automatically assign everything connected to it to a 10.1.1.x subnet. The NVR is obviously able to see that subnet, but to get to it you have to go through the NVR. Either manually via the camera registration page (blue IE icons) or by connecting to the NVR via something like Dahua SmartPSS which then translates allowing you to see the camera output (and in that case only if you are on the NVR LAN)

I know for instance that if you port forward and come in from a remote address to the NVR you wont be able to reach the 10.1.1.x cameras (even manually using the blue IE icons). If you however use a VPN to remote into the NVR, as you are now on it's LAN segment, you can then access the cameras in one of the two ways described above.

majektom

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it a property of this particular model of Dahua NVR that the built-in switch doesn't forward traffic between the ports of the switch? For example, I see in this pinned thread: Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE that @Shockwave199 was doing the same exercise with some Dahua NVR and he succeeded. So that must be something specific to the model that I have. Do you know maybe if the behaviour of the switch can be changed by some setting?
If it doesn't then it is not possible to have VTO and VTH directly connected to the NVR built-in switch because they need to communicate each with another, right?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
***Note I'm a networking novice

yes. The "P" NVR's with built-in switch automatically assign everything connected to it to a 10.1.1.x subnet. The NVR is obviously able to see that subnet, but to get to it you have to go through the NVR. Either manually via the camera registration page (blue IE icons) or by connecting to the NVR via something like Dahua SmartPSS which then translates allowing you to see the camera output (and in that case only if you are on the NVR LAN)

I know for instance that if you port forward and come in from a remote address to the NVR you wont be able to reach the 10.1.1.x cameras (even manually using the blue IE icons). If you however use a VPN to remote into the NVR, as you are now on it's LAN segment, you can then access the cameras in one of the two ways described above.
You are correct, they disabled that around 2017 or so because of security issues.