Dahua or Hikvision NVR?

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

My Dahua NVR 3216 N has died and I am looking for a replacement. I have been going between Dahua and Hikvision NVR’s.

What do you guys recommend? Where do you guys recommend I purchase the NVR?
  • Needed options:
    • 16 ch POE NVR
    • 4k 12MP Camera compatibility
    • ONVIF Compliant
    • High Mbps (I don’t know if over 200 is needed?)
Network Video Recorders – Dahua Technology USA Inc
Network Video Recorder

Thank you,
Greg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending of the cameras you are using, some options will not work without using the same manufacture NVR.
I have used both, and would say it's 50/50 what works best. I end up using more Dahua mainly because of the support
available and buying from Andy at EmpireTech.

Read the Wiki on a real PC, and the cliff notes
This will help a lot.
A little reading around will get most of your questions answered.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
.......buying from Andy at EmpireTech.

I just purchased direct from Andy. Ordered direct from him in China on Friday and camera and NVR arrived the following g Wednesday. I’m still waiting for other stuff I ordered stateside LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone with personal experience with these NVR’s? Noise levels, usage, stability...

Hikvision:
  • DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S
  • DS-7716NXI-I4/16P/4S
Dahua:
  • DHI-NVR5216-16P-I
  • DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E (I’ve read it’s loud).
Since I have a non working NVR3216, can I buy the NVR without HDD and just use the one’s from my old one?

Thank you,
Greg.

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue with Andy is that if you order from aliexpress, then you would have to pay for return shipping (for warranty related things). I’m not happy about that.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never had to send anything back.

============================
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you need advanced AI features this one will be fine
DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E (I’ve read it’s loud)

i dont think it’s that loud but some are more sensitive to noise. It’s not going to be beside your bed is it?

Mine’s in a pantry off the washer dryer room. It’s not as loud as the washing machine...

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
Depending of the cameras you are using, some options will not work without using the same manufacture NVR.
I have used both, and would say it's 50/50 what works best. I end up using more Dahua mainly because of the support
available and buying from Andy at EmpireTech.

Read the Wiki on a real PC, and the cliff notes
This will help a lot.
A little reading around will get most of your questions answered.
.......buying from Andy at EmpireTech.

I just purchased direct from Andy. Ordered direct from him in China on Friday and camera and NVR arrived the following g Wednesday. I’m still waiting for other stuff I ordered stateside LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never had to send anything back.

============================
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com
Unless you need advanced AI features this one will be fine
DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E (I’ve read it’s loud)

i dont think it’s that loud but some are more sensitive to noise. It’s not going to be beside your bed is it?

Mine’s in a pantry off the washer dryer room. It’s not as loud as the washing machine...
I am leaning more towards the NVR5216 2k2se. My nvr system is in the living room.

Since my old nvr3216 died. Could I just order the nvr w/o hdd and just use the hdd from my old nvr?

Thank you guys.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone with personal experience with these NVR’s? Noise levels, usage, stability...

Hikvision:
  • DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S
  • DS-7716NXI-I4/16P/4S
Dahua:
  • DHI-NVR5216-16P-I
  • DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E (I’ve read it’s loud).
Since I have a non working NVR3216, can I buy the NVR without HDD and just use the one’s from my old one?

Thank you,
Greg.
I just got mine delivered. I don’t know if it has HHD, but it does have a fan with loud sound. I don’t mind The sound since I am not keeping it in office. Also have you had it running?

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got mine delivered. I don’t know if it has HHD, but it does have a fan with loud sound. I don’t mind The sound since I am not keeping it in office. Also have you had it running?
Does nvr5216-16p-4ks2e has internal HHD or I have to buy separately.

thanks

I personally have not purchased one yet.

When you are purchasing an nvr, check to see if the hard drives are included or not.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I am leaning more towards the NVR5216 2k2se. My nvr system is in the living room.

Since my old nvr3216 died. Could I just order the nvr w/o hdd and just use the hdd from my old nvr?

Thank you guys.
All of the later DVR and NVR all use normal PC drives. As long as the drive is good, it should work on the new NVR.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My issue with Andy is that if you order from aliexpress, then you would have to pay for return shipping (for warranty related things). I’m not happy about that.
If you don’t like dealing with seller just buy an insurance or coverage and use Amazon.
I buy coverage with all my electronics for 3years which you pay fraction of it which is between 5%-10% of the item price. And you can use the insurance if anything goes wrong with your item within 3 years and not deal with the seller.

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I will order the NVR5216-16p-4K2SE. Im waiting for a price from a guy that is a Dahua dealer in Brooklyn, NY. I will double check to make sure I get the warranty and support from dahua with the purchase from that person. I will also ask whether I can share his contact information or not. Otherwise I will order from Andy.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I will order the NVR5216-16p-4K2SE. Im waiting for a price from a guy that is a Dahua dealer in Brooklyn, NY. I will double check to make sure I get the warranty and support from dahua with the purchase from that person. I will also ask whether I can share his contact information or not. Otherwise I will order from Andy.
i just purchased over $4000 from Andy. I think he is good and reliable. highly recommended on this platform and raddit. I would go with andy if i were you.

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don’t like dealing with seller just buy an insurance or coverage and use Amazon.
I buy coverage with all my electronics for 3years which you pay fraction of it which is between 5%-10% of the item price. And you can use the insurance if anything goes wrong with your item within 3 years and not deal with the seller.
Would this protection plan work if the nvr i purchase from Andy’s amazon page is $370?

Amazon.com: ASURION 3 Year Electronics Protection Plan with Tech Support $350-399.99: Electronics

Thanks, Greg.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
With no offense intended, I think the original question is the tail wagging the dog, where the dog is the camera collection. If you have more than a few cameras you'll have a lot more money in them than in the NVR. Ideally the cameras would all be the same brand, and you'd get the same brand NVR. If you have a "heinz 57" collection of cameras, BI could be a better solution. Generally, NVRs with built in POE ports have loud fans. My 5216-4ks2 NVR uses a fanless external power brick, and the chassis fan noise is pretty reasonable (but not silent). I prefer using an external POE switch for this reason, plus if you do want or need to change out the NVR, there's less money invested in it.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

GregNYR89

n3wb
Reaction score
With no offense intended, I think the original question is the tail wagging the dog, where the dog is the camera collection. If you have more than a few cameras you'll have a lot more money in them than in the NVR. Ideally the cameras would all be the same brand, and you'd get the same brand NVR. If you have a "heinz 57" collection of cameras, BI could be a better solution. Generally, NVRs with built in POE ports have loud fans. My 5216-4ks2 NVR uses a fanless external power brick, and the chassis fan noise is pretty reasonable (but not silent). I prefer using an external POE switch for this reason, plus if you do want or need to change out the NVR, there's less money invested in it.
the current nvr3216 that I had did not have any poe ports for cameras on the nvr, just an internet port. I used poe switch for the cameras. I was thinking of getting the nvr with poe inputs to reduce the equipment number. Is there an nvr5216-4ks2E without poe ports? I can’t find one w/o the ports. Thanks.

yes, it would make sure to purchase it together or within 30 days of the purchase day of the item. the amount you get back is the listed price only. means you dont get the taxes back. and item should be purchased on amazon.
Thanks.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the current nvr3216 that I had did not have any poe ports for cameras on the nvr, just an internet port. I used poe switch for the cameras. I was thinking of getting the nvr with poe inputs to reduce the equipment number. Is there an nvr5216-4ks2E without poe ports? I can’t find one w/o the ports. Thanks.

Thanks.
the link below is what I received today and it does have poe.