Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't want to say to much, but its possible that the day/night switching together with light sensor is in working process. I can't say more at the moment, but I have got good news about it! We need to be patience ;)

Jeroen1000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So how about the patience:) I've just now noticed my Dahua's are either out of focus at night or during daytime because the don't refocus when switching between colour and black/white. Which is a shame because I can get very good images during both periods but hitting refocus manually is a chore.
So I hope this switching thing would solve it.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Newer firmware took care of this issue i believe for the 5231 Starlights at least....

@aristobrat posted on the Starlight Turret thread that Dahua had released new firmware dated 06/03/2017 and the changelog lists the following.

Optimizations & bug fixes:

1. Fix the bug that picture overlay displays abnormal when image flips
2. Fix SD card stop working problem
3. Fix auto focus problem under IR condition
If that doesn't link to that thread... Its somewhere towards the middle bottom of this page....

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-starlight-varifocal-turret-ipc-hdw5231r-z.14683/page-110#post-176122

Last edited:

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So am I understanding that the profile management setup is basically worthless (my experience so far) but that the IR set to smart WILL auto trigger the day or night profile?

If so, I will experiment with that tonight. Maybe that's my problem. I have a Z5 in use for LPR, but I have IR off on all my cameras since I don't want to attract bugs and I have enough lighting nearby. I had bought external ir illuminators to fill in any holes.

I guess worst case is I can turn IR back to smart and then put some tape over the cameras IRs? Hopefully the light sensor is not in them?

It would be nice if Dahua on the profile management screen could add a IR LightSensor option to the Normal,Fulltime, and Schedule so that we can leave the IRs off, but still have it basically trigger Day/Night. Or maybe add an IR Smart (but stays off ) option.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So am I understanding that the profile management setup is basically worthless (my experience so far) but that the IR set to smart WILL auto trigger the day or night profile?
I don't think it works that way. My starlight PTZ doesn't even have an IR smart option.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think it works that way. My starlight PTZ doesn't even have an IR smart option.
My non-PTZ starlights do. I go into setup - conditions - ir light and there is a dropdown with options for Manual,SmartIR, and Off.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I experimented with the SmartIr setting, and the camera did not switch to night mode. That IR setting seems to be standalone and not saved per profile, meaning, you change it and save, then change profile, and it's the same setting, and you can't have a different ir setting per profile, which does kind of make sense.

I just don't see any operational differences between the profile management settings, normal, fulltime, and schedule. If I choose schedule, I see no way to edit the schedule.

It really would be nice if Dahua could fix this profile management stuff.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as built in features, that does seem like the only option. One of these days I will work on setting up an external script to try and start changing it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank You!!! Cool, you wrote it in C# too! I will give this a shot tonight.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I was on my vacation recently I built a tiny windows service, complete with a configuration GUI, that can change between Day and Night profiles on multiple Dahua cameras.

Anyone may install and use this (on a Windows system, anyway) without having to mess around with configuration files.

GitHub - bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset: A Windows Service which changes the profile of dahua cameras between Night and Day at each sunset and sunrise.
Awesome stuff @bp2008 ! Thanks for this!

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great Job! I was able to download and compile and run. I haven't installed as a service yet, need to figure out which machine I will do this from, but I was able to simulate Sunset and it works!

Thanks Again!!

And to think, last week I had downloaded some C# code for sunset/sunrise calculations and was planning on writing my own in the next week or two.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh heh. I tried two different calculation routines and the first one was utterly unusable.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone point to the list of commands/API docs that I can use to interact with the cameras?

Thinking about writing something similar in PowerShell and use Windows task scheduler. Might also just call out to this for the sunrise/sunset timings.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice work as always @bp2008 . I just wondering didn't you knew that Blue Iris users can switch profiles by using event schedule and PTZ presets?