Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, I'm just on the other side of the St-Lawrence river. I almost see the Chateau Frontenac from my home.

I've been ordering from AliExpress for many years and never paid once for customs...the only problem is shipping time. Epacket is good. DHL not tried yet.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
sometimes is good for the speed, but after Sep will be very slow. For most of dahua products we only use dhl/fedex, i think both buyers and us can't undertake the parcel lost or broken. But a good way for cheap items.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Before some guys want to get some 6mm for the HDW4231EM-AS, i booked 6pcs and right now stock in now, please contact me, thanks.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most people buy fixed wide angle cameras; put them up all over the place outside.. then someone comes and steals there shit, and they can watch it on just about every camera they have.. but none of em came close to getting a shot that provides a legal ID.. soo you learn the hard way later that all your wide angle cameras are pretty much worthless and your only option is: go in and start utilizing that zoom, but if you dont have a Varifocal.. then your looking at replacing most of your 3.6mm cameras with 6-12mm cameras.
So true! I agree with you 100%

I wonder though if lenses are available to be purchased separately and if it's possible to replace them... allowing a 2.8mm camera to become a 6mm

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So true! I agree with you 100%

I wonder though if lenses are available to be purchased separately and if it's possible to replace them... allowing a 2.8mm camera to become a 6mm
they are, how much is your time worth? a good lens will cost you as well...also note that a with a varifocal you can play in between the fixed lens sizes to get the EXACT field of view you need so you dont waste pixels..

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
they are, how much is your time worth? a good lens will cost you as well...also note that a with a varifocal you can play in between the fixed lens sizes to get the EXACT field of view you need so you dont waste pixels..
You are sure right about that and from now on only varifocals will be considered when buying new cameras.

But for those people (like me) that already has a 4231 and are willing to spend some bucks and some time to change the focal lentgh, does anyone know where to buy such lenses and how to get one with good quality that also fits the camera?

Cheers!

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are sure right about that and from now on only varifocals will be considered when buying new cameras.

But for those people (like me) that already has a 4231 and are willing to spend some bucks and some time to change the focal lentgh, does anyone know where to buy such lenses and how to get one with good quality that also fits the camera?

Cheers!
It most likely uses an M12 lens- try searching on AliExpress for "Starlight lens". (There are at least two sellers who sell f1.5 4mm and 6mm lenses supposedly to suit Starlight cameras. There are also larger aperture "Starlight" lenses, but you'd need to check sizes as they're most likely physically too big to fit.)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
"Sorry, the page you requested can not be found." Has Andy pulled this model off his Ali-Express store?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with fenderman on the advantages of varifocal, but here are my thoughts on extra-pixels and the cost-factor,

I'd like a varifocal feature on every cam I have, but it boils down to overall cost. If I'm buying two varifocal turrets, that's about $140 more I'm spending for two cameras, when I can be buying three for the same price through a fixed-lens (you'll be satisfied provided you do your homework and plan it right). Though the IPVM tool helps give a rough idea, it doesn't work precisely well due to the possible artifacts in the imagery. Having at least one varifocal is essential because it can be used as a test-bed in order to determine whether we need a 2.8mm, 3.6mm, or a 6mm lens. A few extra pixels may not be bad to have as it can potentially give better details in terms of which direction the object was originating from and heading towards, etc. Everyone should be having a moderate setup, not too expensive, not too cheap, and well-thought through. :)

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just got a pair of these from Andy to replace a couple of Swann 825's (Hik 2032) and the difference is incredible. I plan on going with all Dahua starlights in one form or another.

The cameras I received from Andy were PAL with a firmware date of 20170907. Currently the most recent firmware listed on Dahua's site is the 20170904 firmware. I wanted to switch over to NTSC, just to keep it consistent, but don't want to downgrade. Does anyone know if the 20170907 version of firmware is out in the wild?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a pair of these from Andy to replace a couple of Swann 825's (Hik 2032) and the difference is incredible. I plan on going with all Dahua starlights in one form or another.

The cameras I received from Andy were PAL with a firmware date of 20170907. Currently the most recent firmware listed on Dahua's site is the 20170904 firmware. I wanted to switch over to NTSC, just to keep it consistent, but don't want to downgrade. Does anyone know if the 20170907 version of firmware is out in the wild?
PAL vs. NTSC really doesn't matter.

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to see and how much detail. Use the ipvm camera calculator to simulate different lenses for field of view.IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Definitely a Starlight!
Thanks for that calculator! I never new anything like that existed. This shit is getting technical..I went from a big box store Swann system that Im returning, to building a state of the art system! LOL:winktongue: