Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231RN-Z not working :(

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad to see you can chime in on this Andy. A lot of guys buying here are DYI home owners and small business owners and are looking for a good camera at a discount price. I think as a business owner yourself, you can understand why the end user just wants things to work, in my case, people or as you say RiCh GUYS are willing to pay the little extra for good service and good support. I depend on my re-sellers to support their product. It seems you do pretty good here just doing that, keep it up. Most amazon or ali sellers are are of little help when things go wrong, i have experienced this first hand and have stayed away from them for just that reason. Judging from the amount of cameras you sell here it would seem you do your best to keep they guys happy here. I have even considered trying some of your stock and see what happens.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
As i talked with dahua guys, they suggest to change the password for the cams, and update the firmware asap. Because when connect the cam to the internet then offline. This not happen on 5231 only, i get report for SD22204T-GN,SD49225T-HN, SD29204T-GN and HDW5231R-Z.[/QU

Bad or hacked firmware?

msantic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As i talked with dahua guys, they suggest to change the password for the cams, and update the firmware asap. Because when connect the cam to the internet then offline. This not happen on 5231 only, i get report for SD22204T-GN,SD49225T-HN, SD29204T-GN and HDW5231R-Z.
@EMPIRETECANDY where to find latest firmware for Dahua SD49225T-HN ?

Thanks.

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Aliexpress seller has responded to me asking if i have upgraded the firmware on my camera. I think they will just say that i upgraded the firmware and killed the cam (maybe i have :( ) Think i may have jumped the gun a bit by trying to get the camera working when it first went down and maybe i should have left it as it was for a while as it seems most people have got theirs working again.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Problem is related that dms.dahuatech.com server died and camera has bad workaround for this error. So the main process dies and then camera reboots.
To fix it for temporary - set DNS both servers to non-existing ones and wait for a fix.

Also - DONT TRY TO UPGRADE camera when it has internet connection BECAUSE in the middle of upgrade process it's watchdog hardware will reboot it and you will get a brick with only possible way to recover will be to use UART and TFTP method. I warned YOU!

Below are logs from DH cam when it dies - this is what happens.

So stop fighting with PSU, POE, power, ethernet cables, cabling. It's not you fault. Just wait or if you have knowledge - just set DNS to non-existing ones (both) or disable access to internet from cameras on router.

Last edited:

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The seller on Aliexpress has said that i can send it back to them and they can check what the problem is.

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No need to - just wait day or two.
I can't even get anything out of the camera though :( I can't get into the web interface and the camera no longer does the clicking sound when it's rebooting. I used to have a green LED light that came on on the PCB but even that doesn't come on now.

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you try to upgrade it?
I did during the second day of it not working. It says that the firmware upgrade completed successfully and rebooted, ever since then it's not worked. I can still get the camera to ping on 192.168.1.108 and it ends up losing pings and then it pings fine again so the camera is not completely dead but i'm guessing the firmware upgrade has something to do with it not working and most likely bricked the camera.

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to try tftp method. Get UART cable.
I've just looked on here at that method. To be honest i don't feel very confident trying to do that. I think i might just have to pick up another camera to replace this one.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got the same issue where the cam reboots when connected to switch that has internet connection, funnily it's only 1 out of the 3 dahua cameras that does it. In the meantime I have just connected the camera directly to the POE port on the NVR and it works fine

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing - Dahua will fix the problem. They already working on it, trust me :)

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
one more time - changing password won't help at all. This is not hack, this is not backdoor. This is just poor software inside that needs to be fixed. Change DNS or disaable access to internet - no incoming but outgoing. You can drop just DNS (port 53 UDP). It will fix it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem is related that dms.dahuatech.com server died and camera has bad workaround for this error. So the main process dies and then camera reboots.
To fix it for temporary - set DNS both servers to non-existing ones and wait for a fix...
Good job. Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To fix it for temporary - set DNS both servers to non-existing ones and wait for a fix.

Also - DONT TRY TO UPGRADE camera when it has internet connection BECAUSE in the middle of upgrade process it's watchdog hardware will reboot it and you will get a brick with only possible way to recover will be to use UART and TFTP method. I warned YOU!

Below are logs from DH cam when it dies - this is what happens.

CDeviceCloudManager registerToDMS[registerToDMS:188] fd=42 [IVU][createWSSEAuth:50] auth.Nonce + auth.Created + auth.password[AUTH]
2000-01-01 00:58:18 | Genetec1.69 |
Src/HTTPServer/HTTPConnection.cpp::sendMessa ge@0175 |
Src/SOAPComm/SocketUtils.cpp::send_with_time out@0305 | send_with_timeout fd: 42 buf:
[0x176][0][0x176]
Src/HTTPServer/HTTPMessage.cpp::parse@0347 | CDeviceCloudManager recv [registerToDMS:277]data=
(null)
Time : Sat Jan 1 00:28:18 2000

=========================== TRACE START ===================================
Tid:329, Exception type : C++ throw exception

0:18:18|[pdc] Adc_release
00:18:18|[Binder] ERROR : Target binder node doesn't exist!
00:18:18|[Binder] ERROR : Target binder node doesn't exist!
00:18:18|[pdc] NAU8822L_stopCodec() codec chnl: 1 =============== 00:58:18|[pdc] NAU8822L_stopCodec() codec chnl: 2 ===============
Segmentation fault ####application exit:139, system will reboot!
./usr/etc/app.sh: line 24: /usr/bin/exittime: not found
./usr/etc/app.sh: line 25: udelay: not found

So stop fighting with PSU, POE, power, ethernet cables, cabling. It's not you fault. Just wait or if you have knowledge - just set DNS to non-existing ones (both) or disable access to internet from cameras on router.
What is the purpose of the cameras contacting dms.dahuatech.com?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the cameras contacting dms.dahuatech.com?
My guess would be for bar scan code to make it easier for customer to link their camera to the app on the smart phone without having to find the ip address and port the camera is on outside of home network.