Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea I did look at that data sheet and see 12v so I know it's good there, just wasn't sure about the amps. One of my cameras is going to go to a place that has easy power so no sense in getting a POE switch just yet for one camera when I already own that power supply.

Thank you for the confirmation.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
today tried my new 5 cameras 5231(what great cameras are this) at home with nvr5216-16p all good some tickeling sound on 3 cameras probably silica bag but i don't mind it :D Saturday & Sunday will be installing them in my work place ,for now i put wd blue which i had from last system but will order wd purple 4t soon ...
Have 1 question :is there any guide how do i go forward with installation ,do i need to do port forwarding or set vpn or do i need static ip??

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think most folks are going to say that port forwarding is risky and using a VPN is the best way to go.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a VPN thread that nayr started awhile ago that has a ton of good info in it!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Could be defective..I found the silica bag in another of my Dahua cams. Wonder if it voids the warranty to take it out? After it absorbs moisture over a year, would you have to change it to keep the moisture protection? Seems kind of hokey..and too much of a variable.
Better put inside it, if take out when rainning date the lens will have moisture on the lens, that one dahua put this inside it, before some guys take out, the camera blurry.
There is no need to open the camera, and we also don't recommend using the SD card for this camera's recording. Easy dying, if the seal not sealed well when raining days, then camera die easily.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
*****Another Big news.

DAHUA have a big change for the currently order processing and the distributions(Notified us this Wednesday), this week can't ship any cams out FROM their warehouse, next week will go on normal. Seems many sellers from China can't sell dahua anymore. But we still can do well, no worry.
For the HDW5231R-Z we have enough stock to ship this March, we booked around 400pcs. So no worry at all. This Saturday can ship 15pcs HDW5231R-Z out, the left 45pcs, have to wait to next week ship out, all goods are at dahua, just pending now for all orders exit their warehouse. Same for everyone. I think will have some stocks problem for the April. I will adding more bookings for them.
So you all guys are the first to know this. The results will be the cost increasing buy from CHINA, but ours should be no problem and go on provide good service and product with good price.

Andy

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read the spec somewhere that it's 12v/1000mA. I used that exact power supply to power a HDBW5231R-Z, and it works fine. Can't find it exactly in the data sheet below, but I know it works.
Yes, 1 amp is fine. The data sheet indicates 8.5 watts - 12volts x 1amp = 12 watts. Therefore, a 1 amp power supply will work, but be aware of voltage drop if your power wire needs to be run a long distance. Also, the camera is PoE 802.3af which means 15.4 watts, or 12.95 watts with line loss.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How can we attach an alarm to this camera (similar to an external mic)? I see there is no IO for this model, but is there any other solution here? Any way to retrofit an alarm side-by-side?

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
How can we attach an alarm to this camera (similar to an external mic)? I see there is no IO for this model, but is there any other solution here? Any way to retrofit an alarm side-by-side?
Yes, with a Alarm I/O supported NVR

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't speak for it yet but I just bought the NVR5216-4KS2 yesterday from @EMPIRETECANDY . I have read nothing but great reviews so far from people on here who have it. I recommend buying from Andy (EMPIRETECANDY) ... he seems like a great guy and does his best to answer/help with any questions you have.

Juggler

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this camera have a built-in PIR? If not, what would be the best alternative with an integrated PIR? Is in-camera PIR worth it?

My reasoning for PIR is that I live in Canada and any sort of snow storm is detected as "motion" by Blue Iris. I haven't fine-tuned all the parameters yet, but I figure a PIR would be a snow-buster.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This has no PIR, You can get the bullet version of this which has alarm input and your welcome to wire a PIR up to that.. now if BlueIris will do anything with it I dunno

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
we also don't recommend using the SD card for this camera's recording.
Wow, first I have heard of that...why not specifically for this camera?!
I wanted to use as the backup source just in case recording.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There was a break-in a few streets over from us today. My wife was home and someone incessantly rang the doorbell just prior; same person casing the neighborhood and skipping over us because someone was home.

A turret is going up at the front door now.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a break-in a few streets over from us today. My wife was home and someone incessantly rang the doorbell just prior; same person casing the neighborhood and skipping over us because someone was home.

A turret is going up at the front door now.
LOCK N LOAD!!!