Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with you for foot traffic, but higher FPS is handy if you trying to read plates on cars going 35+ mph
Are you saying that this cam is capable of reading a plate of a vehicle going about 25mph down a residential street at 60fps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you for foot traffic, but higher FPS is handy if you trying to read plates on cars going 35+ mph
I can catch a car flying by at 100mph with 6fps, FPS has nothing to do with it.. you dont have a car flying through the frame in less than 0.01s

Shutter speed is what allows fast moving objects to not be blurred, FPS has zero effect on this.

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can catch a car flying by at 100mph with 6fps, FPS has nothing to do with it.. you dont have a car flying through the frame in less than 0.01s

Shutter speed is what allows fast moving objects to not be blurred, FPS has zero effect on this.
I'm aware of how shutter speed works and I wasn't talking about getting non-blurry images. Having 2-3x the number of frames to ID something in a frame helps in my use case of capturing details about speeding cars. I've got angles where the car may only be in the camera frame for a second or less, so having 30 frames to scan thru for details about the car's make/model/driver/signage in those scenarios is a lot better than only getting 10 or 15 frames. Storage is cheap, so I'll take more frames to increase my odds of getting a clean frame.

p.s.
100mph = ~147 feet/second, @ 6fp gives you one frame for every 24 feet the car travels. That's no bueno for my usage.

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, still trying to get IVS to work on this Starlight since it's not possible through my 5208 NVR. While making some other adjustments with my laptop plugged into a NVR Poe port, I tried to set up IVS Tripwire direct into Starlight without success. I can add the rule but when I try to add the line nothing shows up on the screen, what am I missing?
I do have (4) other Dahua non Starlight turrets already setup with IVS on NVR, maybe I cannot mix NVR and direct camera IVS setups?

View attachment 15927
Still no success in getting IVS Tripwire to work on this Starlight, confirmed IVS Smart Plan is on. Same as mentioned above, I can add a rule but cannot draw any lines. Also noticed IVS doesn't show up in the storage schedule.

2017-03-08 (1)_LI.jpg

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I got my pair yesterday, unfortunately got home from work later than I'm normally in bed and 4am comes quickly, but I did spend some time with the camera. About as far as I got was setting the new IP address and getting the video stream onto my phone thru tinycam.

On the computer, it is asking me to download the plugin in order to view the streams. Is everyone just doing this? Also, when I did click on it, it said something like 404 error. Don't remember the verbiage. But I had already blocked Internet traffic from this camera at the router at this point, I'm guessing that's why. Don't remember any discussion about this in the last 80 pages, but should I just download this plugin and then block the camera at the router?

Thanks.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I got my pair yesterday, unfortunately got home from work later than I'm normally in bed and 4am comes quickly, but I did spend some time with the camera. About as far as I got was setting the new IP address and getting the video stream onto my phone thru tinycam.

On the computer, it is asking me to download the plugin in order to view the streams. Is everyone just doing this? Also, when I did click on it, it said something like 404 error. Don't remember the verbiage. But I had already blocked Internet traffic from this camera at the router at this point, I'm guessing that's why. Don't remember any discussion about this in the last 80 pages, but should I just download this plugin and then block the camera at the router?

Thanks.
only if you want to actually see the video stream in the browser, pretty much all cams need some kind of plugin, hell blue iris has something you have to download to view the cams on the webpage. Maybe one day they will make them use html5 or something, if that is even possible.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm assuming thou that if I don't download the plug in that I won't be able to draw the tripwire lines like you guys do? That could be a problem for me. I guess I'll actually just have to install it.

I still don't have an NVR but I'm assuming I can get tripwire notifications thru the gDMSS app. Leaning towards a Dahua nvr (as opposed to blueiris) but still haven't decided. Only have two of these cameras that I'll be recording to surveillance station on NAS for the time being since I already own it. Will probably buy NVR when the time (and $) comes for my next 2 cameras.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm assuming thou that if I don't download the plug in that I won't be able to draw the tripwire lines like you guys do? That could be a problem for me. I guess I'll actually just have to install it.

I still don't have an NVR but I'm assuming I can get tripwire notifications thru the gDMSS app. Leaning towards a Dahua nvr (as opposed to blueiris) but still haven't decided. Only have two of these cameras that I'll be recording to surveillance station on NAS for the time being since I already own it. Will probably buy NVR when the time (and $) comes for my next 2 cameras.
Why are you leaning toward NVR over blue iris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Why are you so scared to download a plugin? lol.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First off, price.
Blue iris set up:
Computer ($300 at best)
Blueiris + app ($50)
Windows (if you don't already own a valid install, which I do, but still some might need to purchase) ($120) [EDIT: I guess a refurbished Dell that @fenderman recommends probably comes with Windows, so no need to purchase a license]

Dahua 5216-4ks2 (seems to be the ideal one to get) $270.

Second, I kinda like the idea of matching hardware. Dahua camera Dahua nvr. Probably not a valid point though.

Third, well I guess there is no third... Mainly basing my decision off of a price savings of almost $100

EDIT: Not that anyone will probably see this edit, but just came across this thread that may help someone decide between BI and Dahua NVR (or not...you'll see what I mean) Need advice on a low cost PoE Dome camera to monitor my driveway.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why are you so scared to download a plugin? lol.
Security is discussed on this forum as much if not more than cameras, and I'm leery of any software downloaded from anything other than a major reputable company. It's recommended to block all Internet traffic to/from any camera purchased and on your LAN, yet here we are using the camera to download some software.

I guess I'm too paranoid. Seems like the best solution to get all functionality is to allow Internet traffic, download the plug-in, and THEN lock the camera out of accessing the Internet.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like the Dahua 5216-4ks2 can accept up to 32 cameras. What about the Dahua 5216-4ks2 model that comes with 16 built in POE ports? Is that one limited to 16 cameras only, or can it accept up 32 cameras as well, provided a separate 16-port POE switch is purchased?

First off, price.
Blue iris set up:
Computer ($300 at best)
Blueiris + app ($50)
Windows (if you don't already own a valid install, which I do, but still some might need to purchase) ($120)

Dahua 5216-4ks2 (seems to be the ideal one to get) $270.

Second, I kinda like the idea of matching hardware. Dahua camera Dahua nvr. Probably not a valid point though.

Third, well I guess there is no third... Mainly basing my decision off of a price savings of almost $100

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
David, what if you want to be able to access your cameras from the other side of the world?

Security is discussed on this forum as much if not more than cameras, and I'm leery of any software downloaded from anything other than a major reputable company. It's recommended to block all Internet traffic to/from any camera purchased and on your LAN, yet here we are using the camera to download some software.

I guess I'm too paranoid. Seems like the best solution to get all functionality is to allow Internet traffic, download the plug-in, and THEN lock the camera out of accessing the Internet.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe they can all accept 32 streams, but the difference is the number of inputs each NVR can occupy (which is what the last two numbers in the model signify). The specs list 8/16/32.

Don't think so. Same applies to the PoE version.

5208 = 8
5216 = 16
5232 = 32

View attachment 16024

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quoting from this thread...
Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

Nvr5216-8p-4ks2 has 8 ports Poe. NVR5 means series 5, the 52 means series support 2hdd. 16 means 16ch, 8p means 8 ports Poe. So if you just need nvr without Poe. So the model is nvr5216-4ks2. We put exactly plug for the destination country use, US plug no problem. US, British,EU, AU plug these are the world's most common using plug.
The model number says it all. To me, this means the '16' of 5216 means that it can only accept 16 cameras...no matter if you have the 16 port POE version or not. And if you get the 8 or 32 channel POE, you can have 8 or 32 cameras depending on which one you get.

If the non POE version accepted 32 cameras via external switch, then the model number wouldn't be 5216,it would be 5232. At least that's my take on the subject....