Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As nayr points out, they are an authorized distributor....full warranty and they are VERY clear when something is special order and will take a while. They run a legit business unlike amazon that knowingly allows third party sellers to defraud its customers...They only sell dahua USA models, not international models we are getting via Andy.
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/partner.php?cid=2
How are you going to get that 5 bux over to nayr?
No, they're not clear at all. I ordered 7 of them. They all showed as "in stock". Their customer service rep said the site shows "in stock" if they have one in stock, but doesn't account for how many you order. So 1 of my junctions is in stock, and the rest are backordered until Thursday.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, they're not clear at all. I ordered 7 of them. They all showed as "in stock". Their customer service rep said the site shows "in stock" if they have one in stock, but doesn't account for how many you order. So 1 of my junctions is in stock, and the rest are backordered until Thursday.
Well that is a fair explanation....You can always wait for an aliexpress shipment...

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just FYI, I ordered 2 PFB203Ws and a PFA137 from B&H last week. I ordered it on Sunday night, it shipped Monday from NJ and arrived in Texas on Thursday.
Does BH have the HDW5231R-Z ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does BH have the HDW5231R-Z ??

The only stock Dahua USA models. The HDW5231R-Z is international...there is no USA equivalent..they do stock the usa starlight varifocal dome and bullet as well as the fixed turret.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They wont carry any international models, Last time I checked the only cameras they had with the same sensor was HD over Coax.. I presume they will get some IP models eventually; however expect to pay much more for the exact same thing.

Here's the HDCVI Starlight Varifocal Bullet: Dahua Technology Super Series 2.1MP 1080p DH-HAC-HFW32A1EN-Z B&H its the equivlant of an international HAC-HFW3231E-Z that you can import for ~$100 less

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They wont carry any international models, Last time I checked the only cameras they had with the same sensor was HD over Coax.. I presume they will get some IP models eventually; however expect to pay much more for the exact same thing.

Here's the HDCVI Starlight Varifocal Bullet: Dahua Technology Super Series 2.1MP 1080p DH-HAC-HFW32A1EN-Z B&H its the equivlant of an international HAC-HFW3231E-Z that you can import for ~$100 less
Gotcha. That's what I thought. Thanks.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally, FINALLY got to install all 5 Starlights in Australia after starting out on this journey in November. All working well. Very impressed with the IR, which, along with the motorized zoom, were the two reasons I switched from HikVision. The existing Hik camera that I mounted experimentally is now gathering dust, although I am using them in a different location. I've noticed with remote access, some aspects of Hik are better than Dahua. But there are pros and cons of each. Dahua is a lot more modern with their interface. Hik seems to work better remotely. The jury is out for now. I'll need more time back in the US to evaluate. On a plane across the Pacific right now and nice to be able to log in remotely, although bandwidth is crap so forget viewing anything - more playing with the configuration. Nearly killed myself up on a ladder mounting one of the cams. Very high and dropped one onto the concrete. That made my day. A horrible smashing noise. Surprisingly, it still worked somewhat. Auto focus is stuffed and will only focus when at 2.8 zoom, but I used that one for a location where that's all I'll want. Noticed some differences in the effort involved in mounting Hiks and Dahuas. Never want to go back to the manual focus and zoom of a Hik. Also have the new Dahua 8 port POE NVR. Seems to work well. Yes, I know, no switch, but the through-NVR camera configuration seems to do what I need for now. It's all an experiment. At least now I can see if the gardener has been! Thanks for the feedback from all on this forum.

Now, just another 9 of the 14 hours from Australia to go... Ugh!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

There has a good news, we can get 120pcs stock in at dahua now. But bad news, they still pending the shipment till March.14th, so we only can process the orders then.
HFW5231E-Z5, HFW5431E-Z5 all has sample ready now, just waiting to send to @nayr for review, hope can be good cams!

So sorry for the delay!

Andy

Wnix6484

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to place orders on your (Andy) aliexpress page but it says please select a Signal System [PAL], but I am unable to change the box to anything. Do I have to wait until the 14th or can I place an order now? Want to purchase 8 of the cameras and an NVR.

Another concern of mine is that I will be running burial grade heavily shielded Cat6 from a patch panel in the home to each camera. I have attempted to crimp connectors onto this cable before but it is very thick and difficult to get a good working crimp. It is POSSIBLE but very difficult. Does anyone have any recommendations for a solution at the location of the camera to go from the burial grade to a 1 foot patch cable to the camera that's water tight. I prefer as few connections in the line as possible so I may just try to make it work. Just curious about your guys thoughts.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to place orders on your aliexpress page but it says please select a Signal System [PAL], but I am unable to change the box to anything. Do I have to wait until the 14th or can I place an order now? Want to purchase 8 of the cameras and an NVR.
Send @EMPIRETECANDY a private message and he will let you know how to proceed. Great customer service from him so far.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to place orders on your (Andy) aliexpress page but it says please select a Signal System [PAL], but I am unable to change the box to anything. Do I have to wait until the 14th or can I place an order now? Want to purchase 8 of the cameras and an NVR.
You cannot select PAL because there are none in stock. Once he has them available you can order.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Another concern of mine is that I will be running burial grade heavily shielded Cat6 from a patch panel in the home to each camera. I have attempted to crimp connectors onto this cable before but it is very thick and difficult to get a good working crimp. It is POSSIBLE but very difficult. Does anyone have any recommendations for a solution at the location of the camera to go from the burial grade to a 1 foot patch cable to the camera that's water tight. I prefer as few connections in the line as possible so I may just try to make it work. Just curious about your guys thoughts.

I also ran burial grade Cat 5E cable, I think it was also gel filled. I used keystone jacks at the ends, they were easy to install with a punch down tool. They sell for about a buck apiece.

Attachments

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also ran burial grade Cat 5E cable, I think it was also gel filled. I used keystone jacks at the ends, they were easy to install with a punch down tool. They sell for about a buck apiece.
Same underground jelly filled direct burial cable here. The keystone blocks weren't robust enough. It was 18 or 20 guage wire.

We used these termination blocks from Amazon with a 110 punch down tool and they worked.

Amazon.com: InstallerParts Cat.5E Junction Box -- 110 Punch Down Type -- Secure Shielded Outdoor Junction Box -- UL Listed: Computers & Accessories

SD

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same underground jelly filled direct burial cable here. The keystone blocks weren't robust enough. It was 18 or 20 guage wire.

We used these termination blocks from Amazon with a 110 punch down tool and they worked.

Amazon.com: InstallerParts Cat.5E Junction Box -- 110 Punch Down Type -- Secure Shielded Outdoor Junction Box -- UL Listed: Computers & Accessories

SD
My cable was 24 AWG. The $1 keystone jack was easy to punch down and is durable. They are either in a shed or inside an electrical junction box so they are sheltered from the elements. They were installed almost 3 years ago, with no failures to date (knock on wood). The price for the jack in your link is $6.49. Is that for one?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent question.

My friend and his wife built their house by themselves, 10 years ago. They were given a 1000 ft roll of the stuff by the Verizon tech. He used it to wire his entire house, and then and underground run to connect the pole barn. We had to connect the run to his home network, and then terminate in the barn.

Believe me, I would NEVER want to use that stuff again. I couldn't get the glycerine smell off my hands for a day or so.

SD

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent question.

My friend and his wife built their house by themselves, 10 years ago. They were given a 1000 ft roll of the stuff by the Verizon tech. He used it to wire his entire house, and then and underground run to connect the pole barn. We had to connect the run to his home network, and then terminate in the barn.

Believe me, I would NEVER want to use that stuff again. I couldn't get the glycerine smell off my hands for a day or so.

SD
By themselves? Is it a log cabin?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is between a "IPC-HDW5231RP-Z" and a
"IPC-HDW5231RP-Z S2" ?