Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
When did you order? I know there was no supply of these cameras early in the year but it seems Andy has posted he's now getting them by the hundreds and it seems like people have ordered though his Ailexpress site have gotten cameras after ordering after I have. I know he's a good guy, just think I might have fallen through the cracks. Who knows who gets the next camera available? It's not like you're on a waiting list that you know what number in line you are. And I offered to prepay if it would help my getting a camera sooner, no invoice was sent.
Joe
I dunno man, you could try messaging again, I don't remember exactly, I think it was still during chinese new year.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course anything is possible, but I don't think he would (intentionally anyway) slight someone. He ships them on a first come, first serve basis. From my ordering, I never received an invoice until he had the stock in hand.

He's about to get 150 of them right now as we speak. They aren't all spoken for. You should be able to get them shipped the 14th from his last report.

SD

Last edited:

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been messaging, he's been responsive, just no invoice sent. His latest maybe date is the 13th, just not happy if people are ordering through Aliexpress are getting cameras before me.
Joe

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been messaging, he's been responsive, just no invoice sent. His latest maybe date is the 13th, just not happy if people are ordering through Aliexpress are getting cameras before me.
Joe
I do not think that is the case, you'll prolly get an invoice any day now if you try to order.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Extremely Valid --- Post of the Century! :)
The 2MP is the sweet spot

Slap more pixels into the same space (actuall smaller space w/4MP) without doing anything else and sensitivity to photons goes down proportionally.. that and the Starlights use backlit sony starvis sensors that dramatically increases photon sensitivity and the 4MP just cant keep up..

Day or night the 2MP's kick the 4MP's butt, you can run lower gain and higher shutter speeds in the daytime w/out any additional noise.. so you get better quality even in daytime, more megapixels does not inherently mean more detail.. its all about the photons, not the pixels.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just want to know if any other forum member has been waiting 5 plus weeks to get an invoice.
I've been waiting since January 5th. I ended up ordering through another Ali vendor. Received two cameras today. Wasn't as cheap, but it worked.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i would go with Andy and wait ,i also wait almost 2 months to ship my 5 turrets 5231and im extremely happy with them.now also wait SD49225T-HN to get stock back couple weeks and would never order from some other shop.. andy is forum member here and have a lot of support from forum members .

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just put my HDW5231R-Z outside after confirming it would work with my Hikvision NVR. I've got 4 Hikvision 4mp cameras and the single 2mp HDW5231R-Z and view them via the 4K HDMI output on my NVR on a 55" Sony 4k TV. I can notice a big difference with the detail shown between the 4 and 2MP during the day- noting I haven't got them set up in the same location to do a direct comparison. At the moment the 4mp is better for me during the day. (I need to experiment more with the settings to see if I can improve the Dahua, it took me a while to get the Hikvisions to the point they are now. It could also be the upscaling of the 1920 x 1080 within the NVR or any number of other things.)

At night, the Dahua is definitely better and easily takes the lead. The larger surface area of each sensor pixel allows it to gather more light, so all things being equal the same size sensor with less pixels will give better performance at night.

(I did find a thread on here yesterday saying the Hikvision R6 firmware has issue at night with noise "pulsating" - mine do that. Hopefully Hikvision can improve their night performance.)
Interesting and thanks for comparison. I'm in same boat but haven't pulled trigger on dahua as I'm concerned about the lack of day time resolution. Lmk or post again once you have the settings set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting and thanks for comparison. I'm in same boat but haven't pulled trigger on dahua as I'm concerned about the lack of day time resolution. Lmk or post again once you have the settings set up.

Understand that 4mp is not double the pixel density of 2mp.... You will not see any significant difference..In fact you can get more pixel density because you can zoom in to the exact field view you need... Users claiming to see a difference likely have this camera zoomed out to 2.8 vs the 4mm of fixed hiks... These cameras are better in every way... You are falling for the mp scam...

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understand that 4mp is not double the pixel density of 2mp.... You will not see any significant difference..In fact you can get more pixel density because you can zoom in to the exact field view you need... Users claiming to see a difference likely have this camera zoomed out to 2.8 vs the 4mm of fixed hiks... These cameras are better in every way... You are falling for the mp scam...
Ok thanks. I already have hiks and want to add few more so considering these. Also setting up system for a friend and want to make sure I do it right and can show/articulate that it doesn't matter.

Question - with the vari focus can that be adjusted via Blue Iris? Blue iris app? Camera System software?

Is it something that can be done on fly? Or more a a set it and forget it?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I already have hiks and want to add few more so considering these. Also setting up system for a friend and want to make sure I do it right and can show/articulate that it doesn't matter.

Question - with the vari focus can that be adjusted via Blue Iris? Blue iris app? Camera System software?

Yes to all of the above

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can control via bi, but it's meant to be used at setup..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

It is intended to be used as set it and forget it.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well anyone else on Alie uses super slow shipping
Not true. There's at least one other seller on there who uses DHL.

I've got both 2.8 and 4mm 4mp HikVisions. The image detail is better on them during the day- viewed off my NVR's 4K HDMI output on a 4K 55" TV. If your using the 5231r-z zoomed right in it's going to have an advantage, but for covering a wide area the Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I gives me a lot more detail. Like I said, at night it's a totally different matter with the noise on the Hikvisions killing any resolution advantage. When I get some more 5231's I'll do a side by side comparison.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not true. There's at least one other seller on there who uses DHL.

I've got both 2.8 and 4mm 4mp HikVisions. The image detail is better on them during the day- viewed off my NVR's 4K HDMI output on a 4K 55" TV. If your using the 5231r-z zoomed right in it's going to have an advantage, but for covering a wide area the Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I gives me a lot more detail. Like I said, at night it's a totally different matter with the noise on the Hikvisions killing any resolution advantage. When I get some more 5231's I'll do a side by side comparison.
It is in your head...The difference is minimal...You always have extra area that is wasted on a fixed lens...Put them side by side with a license plate or face test.....Or put your 4mp camera in 2mp mode...You see very little difference...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is in your head...The difference is minimal...You always have extra area that is wasted on a fixed lens...Put them side by side with a license plate or face test.....Or put your 4mp camera in 2mp mode...You see very little difference...
Put it this way- I've been disappointed with the 5231's day time clarity/ detail when viewed on the 55" 4k TV. On a PC monitor at 1080P I probably wouldn't see any difference.

What settings are people using on the 5231- perhaps that's part of my problem?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Put it this way- I've been disappointed with the 5231's day time clarity/ detail when viewed on the 55" 4k TV. On a PC monitor at 1080P I probably wouldn't see any difference.

What settings are people using on the 5231- perhaps that's part of my problem?
When lighting is perfect the other camera may look a little better, in any other lighting it will lose, it's a security camera, the trade off is easily worth it.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been disappointed with the 5231's day time clarity/ detail when viewed on the 55" 4k TV.
Well, don't use a 55" 4k TV and you won't have a problem :p. In all honesty I came from TVL land with my previous cameras and these 2MP starlights have been freaking outstanding day or night. Remember they are a CCTV camera not a DSLR.

Last edited: