Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Rcabro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys super noob here. What kind of NVR could I use with this? I'm trying to build my first system at home. I currently have some weak zmodo Poe which I need to upgrade. I want to be able to see cars and people clearly at the street.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for distance @ <$200? nope, the IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology would probably do a fine job; with 6MP and 16mm optics it'd be around 190ppf and that'll be nice and legible.

Camera Calculator / Design Software <-- keep ppf high as possible, closer to 200ppf for automatic reading.. 100ppf for manual reading.

Either put the camera closer to the target area, or pay the price for optics and IR that can work at distance.. one is easier than the other.

Rcabro

n3wb
Reaction score
for distance @ <$200? nope, the IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology would probably do a fine job; with 6MP and 16mm optics it'd be around 190ppf and that'll be nice and legible.

Camera Calculator / Design Software <-- keep ppf high as possible, closer to 200ppf for automatic reading.. 100ppf for manual reading.

Either put the camera closer to the target area, or pay the price for optics and IR that can work at distance.. one is easier than the other.
Well, I am willing to pay more for it. Will it work with the same DVR you suggested before? Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 8/16/32CH 1U 4K&H.265 NVR support 2HDD Onvif NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 from Reliable 265 nvr suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah any dahua will work with it fine, and most onvif cameras too.

LPR requires a dedicated camera with a very good install location.. there's other threads on the forums outlining the dirty details.. im doing 180ft w/a 4MP Dahua box camera inside a birdhouse.

Go for LPR last once you have the rest of your cameras in place and you have something existing to play with.. trying to nail a good LPR setup on first try right out of the gates would be a hell of an accomplishment.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's the location of network config in WebUI; have to reboot the device for it to take effect after saving:
View attachment 13481

If you do a static config you must assign an IP outside your DHCP Lease range; if you assign DHCP Lease you must assign a static mapping on the DHCP Server.. I do static DHCP Mappings.

Typically I connect to camera directly w/manual network config, set camera for dhcp, save&reboot.. then change my computer back to DHCP and go make a dhcp reservation for whatever new device just appeared on the network.. then I can add it to my NVR and know it'll always be at that IP.
Thanks Really appreciate it.
You totally unintentionally solved my POE switch access mystery that I've been pulling my hair out over too for like a month w\ the manual config and switchback...I've even talked to Linksys \Cicso help all over the place and they never mentioned this basic first step.

You're pretty busy tonight helping out us start-up types.
Thanks Really appreciate it.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well as for durability, this camera already paid for itself. Doing my surveying with the camera around the house, it fell 7'9" flat onto concrete... popped out of the case... hooked it back up... still kicking like it never happened.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well as for durability, this camera already paid for itself. Doing my surveying with the camera around the house, it fell 7'9" flat onto concrete... popped out of the case... hooked it back up... still kicking like it never happened.
damn! be carefull young jedi..

test rigs, solid ones.. nothing the wind or pets are gonna knock over.. im fond of a bucket full of rocks with a 2x4, or here recently a 2x4 ratchet strapped to a lil cart.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I blame my new asus router. I'm outside trying to get this taken care off, and of course the wireless takes a crap on me... take 5 steps away to head towards the router and heard the noise that made my blood boil for about 3 minutes.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
damn! be carefull young jedi..

test rigs, solid ones.. nothing the wind or pets are gonna knock over.. im fond of a bucket full of rocks with a 2x4, or here recently a 2x4 ratchet strapped to a lil cart.
I'll show ya a pic when I'm done, it def. wouldn't meet your standards. lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you wont want to install it behind your screen door.. mebe on the other side or higher/centered on door..

I can tell you come night time that wreath will be an IR problem.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insulated extendo stick I use for closing in high voltage fuses at work.
A bucket of rocks or even dirt works great you can also make a rig for a photo tripod with a small chunk of wood, right angle bracket, and nut that matches the camera mount on the tripod.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you wont want to install it behind your screen door.. mebe on the other side or higher.

I can tell you come night time that wreath will be an IR problem.
So the stick is 7'9" if i go above the door, ill be pushing close to 9 foot. I wont be able to get a wire to the other side tastefully. Why do you recommend against it? Heads up, the door is always locked close, and it won't hit the camera if it was ever open. The problem I have on the other side is the light and the main purpose of this location is in case I get a package stolen, which is always put behind that column(day time issue). I was gonna make a different post with more pics so I don't clog this one up.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wow thats a great color image, guess IR wont be a problem... rotate it sideways and run it in corridor mode, can you move it out from the corner a lil bit and take that wreath down?

mebe a bit more zoom and down tilt in corridor mode.. this one is going to take some hand tuning with a display in view.

Last edited: