Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pics as requested. Will start a new thread of my proposed install spots from last night.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the preferred app for controlling (also prefer something with access to at least some configs) this camera on my android phone and tablet?
The web GUI does not appear to support Android.
I'd like to be able to use the zoom and refocus from an app when necessary on occasion.
Thx

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the preferred app for controlling (also prefer something with access to at least some configs) this camera on my android phone and tablet?
The web GUI does not appear to support Android.
I'd like to be able to use the zoom and refocus from an app when necessary on occasion.
Thx

Perhaps one of these? Smart Phone

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx I did try the gdmss initially but for some reason it won't control the zoom for me on the 5231-z.
I'll try out the others.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone been using the WD purple drives? I noticed they are 5400 rpm, I guess they are specialized some other way for video surveillance. Do they offer a performance boost over regular drives or just reliability?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone been using the WD purple drives? I noticed they are 5400 rpm, I guess they are specialized some other way for video surveillance. Do they offer a performance boost over regular drives or just reliability?
This is something that is super simple to look up via google.com or possibly the search option on the forum. Maybe make a new post so this one can kind of stay on topic?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is something that is super simple to look up via google.com or possibly the search option on the forum. Maybe make a new post so this one can kind of stay on topic?
I searched the forum and saw some posts but nothing discussed the speed. I did some google but not tons. but yeah I could make a new thread.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the correct setting for BI to recognize this camera? Would it be Dahua/Main Stream RSTP or something else?

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What have you tried?
I haven't tried anything yet. I'm in the Andy's cue for shipping. Should be soon since I placed the order on 12/20 and he's up to that date. Just want to see if anyone's got it working in BI. My Dahua rebranded as Qsee cameras use the above just fine. Thanks

dorcse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is an animated image showing WDR on @ 50% and WDR Off (might need chrome to view this):

it really helps flatten out the shadows, look at how much more detail is inside the climbing wall.. It looks more accurate w/WDR off but with it on it helps squash shade so everything is exposed well in dynamic lighting.
I watched this flashing image a little too long. I think the strobe effect caused a seizure. I ended up in the hospital. Happy New Year ;)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More pics
The no zoom led on color pic looks great to me, at least for the static image. Have you expirimented with you in the frame and video motion to see if a person remains as clear as the rest of that image?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The no zoom led on color pic looks great to me, at least for the static image. Have you expirimented with you in the frame and video motion to see if a person remains as clear as the rest of that image?
I was slightly blurry standing in front, but didn't fret too much since I'm sure I'll clear it up with some adjustments once permanently fixed. These were more so to make sure what lens/zoom options are feasible.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I am interested in slowly upgrading my cameras and this one certainly is interesting. I am in no hurry and will wait a little while to see if there is something new coming out in the next few months for 2017.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am interested in slowly upgrading my cameras and this one certainly is interesting. I am in no hurry and will wait a little while to see if there is something new coming out in the next few months for 2017.
Something new is always coming out lol but there are always buyers for your older stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt your gonna see a performance jump like this again anytime soon; only thing that might happen in 2017 is other vendors start integrating this sensor into there own products.. but you cant really go wrong w/Dahua and its established quality.

The Surveillance Industry moves rather slowly; its not like SmartPhones and in 2 years yours will self destruct if you dont replace it with something always thinner, sometimes larger or sometimes smaller, and worse battery.. my system is showing its age up against these cameras but this kinda jump is uncommon, we'll be lucky to see gains like this again in another 2-3 years.

dahua has not even cranked out any quantities of the products it promised last summer.. were just now getting these out into people's hands, but only via importing em.

Last edited: