Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are the same cameras; there is no such model as an s2.. those numbers are only seen on Dahua CVI (analouge) systems; the seller is incorrect, probably confused.

dorcse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr.. always the reliable source of accurate info.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
firmware different, this S2 using the Oct. firmware. No big change. The first guy get the camera is S1, seems i only sell 1pcs for this one, others all S2.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
firmware different, this S2 using the Oct. firmware. No big change. The first guy get the camera is S1, seems i only sell 1pcs for this one, others all S2.
guess your right; double checked my picture of the label on the camera in the first post and it does say S2, never caught my eye.. mebe they print the shipped firmware revisions on the labels.

i was right about em being same cameras at least; but I can admit when im wrong.. I do it from time to time.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to Nayr I bought two of these cameras. $169.19 each with free shipping via DHL. I used the mobile site to get that price.
BEC technology was the seller.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been meaning to ask, do both of the IR LEDs get used at the same time, or is one a wide angle and the other narrow so the camera can switch between them depending on zoom level, like a lot of PTZs do?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been meaning to ask, do both of the IR LEDs get used at the same time, or is one a wide angle and the other narrow so the camera can switch between them depending on zoom level, like a lot of PTZs do?
no it does not; both are always on.

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a setting in the software to turn off the IR if you don't want it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes of course, I didnt mean to imply the IR is always on 24/7.. just its always on depending on zoom level in response to his question.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.49.31 PM.png

and of course its always turned off when its in color mode and the IR Cut filter is in place.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When will you have more HDW5231R-Z in stock Empire? :p Ordered 1 from you on the 11th.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to buy this camera sometime. If a 3A IR illuminator is placed a few feet above the camera, will peoples faces be "whited out" do to the bright IR light? I will keep the IR beam parallel to the camera to avoid blinding the camera, but how far away should IR illuminators be away from the camera?

Jmtyra

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reading (lurking) through this entire thread, and I think I'll be returning my newly purchased 4MP Dahua (IPC-HDBW4431R-AS) for this 2MP one. So weird to say that...sounds like I'm taking a step backward...but you can't argue with the comparison footage that @nayr posted. The night time clarity is really amazing!

Now I'm just waiting for Empire's store to be back in stock. :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Reading (lurking) through this entire thread, and I think I'll be returning my newly purchased 4MP Dahua (IPC-HDBW4431R-AS) for this 2MP one. So weird to say that...sounds like I'm taking a step backward...but you can't argue with the comparison footage that @nayr posted. The night time clarity is really amazing!

Now I'm just waiting for Empire's store to be back in stock. :)
My suggestion is not to buy those models can't search on dahua official website, because all these cheap models selling on Aliexpress. Firmware can/t be updated.
I always tell our client for this if they buy this kind of cameras, but if they no care for this, then also can use well.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice!
I'd been wanting varifocal turrets just b\c I'm new with this and was not sure what focal length to buy for different situations. So this would make it an easy choice. 2.6-12mm means I could use this one camera model pretty much anywhere I'd think.

You mentioned buying the bullets above...I've read a lot of pro\cons on this site about the various types and it seems bullets get the least love.
That said, what situation would the bullet version be a better choice, or do you just want it to test for the heck of it?

Have you done any tests at full zoom to see how much that might affect clarity?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mentioned buying the bullets above...I've read a lot of pro\cons on this site about the various types and it seems bullets get the least love.
That said, what situation would the bullet version be a better choice, or do you just want it to test for the heck of it?

Have you done any tests at full zoom to see how much that might affect clarity?
I have a large junction box with multiple bullets mounted to it; it wont take multiple turrets without making the box much much larger.. I also am using external alarm inputs/outputs hooked to security sensors to trigger alarms.. turrets dont come with external alarm hookups..

since it uses optical zoom, it has absolutely no impact on image clarity when zoomed in..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i cant possibly see how; license plates are plenty bright at night.. the'll just be brighter with a starlight.

you can only read plates at night with a camera dedicated to the job.