Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry fenderman guess I don't understand your answer. So what should my pre-trigger buffer be set to?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had been reading in posts you've said it needs to be 2-3 times your frame rate so I was trying to accomplish 3 x. Guess I need to set it to 3 then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had been reading in posts you've said it needs to be 2-3 times your frame rate so I was trying to accomplish 3 x. Guess I need to set it to 3 then.
That is no longer relevant...that was in the past when it was measured in frames...3 seconds is a good number..

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
is someone recording on NFS (NAS in webgui)? recording works great and the files are there. unfortunaly no playback possible on webgui. i can only select sd card on dropdown. what am i doing wrong? i tried the same with FTP - same result.

playback work fine on my android device with gDMSS for NFS & FTP

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont believe the WebUI supports NAS playback.. mebe SmartPSS does.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone give me an answer? Is it right that in the IPC-HDW5231R-Z there is a Sony IMX290 installed? So what exactly are companys like Dahua ore others are modifying or adding to their cameras to make it so outstanding? I mean all light is coming thrugh the Sony Sensor. What is their firmware adding on.
I am impressed by the pictures in this thread but i would like to understand the miracle.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the light is going through the optics first; F1.4 to F2.0 w/this Chipset makes a massive difference.. that and these have quite powerfull DSP's capable of utilizing all the features on the sensor.

Its hardware largely..

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, thats for shure. But i had never had optics on my mind. In cameras i am buildind i never use variofocal lenses. F1.2 is standard and it is mutch better to use a 6mm F1.2 instead of trim a 2.8-12mm F1.4 into the range of 5.8mm and leave it there. I thought the DSP is part of the sensor board. But that might be the trick. At my home the Light conditions are not bad in night time. Problem is if anyone enter my property the IR from the camera is reflected by the face an therefore the face is almost white. I had some success with indirect illuminating the scene with other IR-Light. During daytime everything is fine.
But i am learnig more and more. In two years i had 4 different setups. And this thread is bringing me up to new ideas. I will replace my IMX222 with IMX291 one by one but this is hobby. If i would just have the job done i would switch to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. It seems to be one of the best in this price-range.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The AutoIris on the Varifocal Lenses really help prevent faces from over exposing.. alot more than a fixed iris..

Dahua just buys the raw sensors and attaches them to there own DSP.. they have the same sensor on the UltraWDR cameras, and its the stronger DSP on the Ultra models that is able to handle the 140dB WDR.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, i see. Never worked with auto-iris! I have on my mind to buy one of these and test it out. I was impressed by yor videos! It seems to be a great device. I am building my own cameras from high end scrap. On my avatar i put a view from my front-entrance. This was today after midnight. At the rear side it is a little darker. But for Germany i have a very big property. I can play with 16 cams or more. The hurdle is to order from China. Today everyone can enter our Country without papers but i have to drive 100 miles to customs office to receive a 30$ cam.

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
.. or just throw all the cameras on an isolated LAN and dual home your BI Server.
I am out of town and can't access my BI help file to see if it explain how to dual home the server. Is this something that is explained in the help file or something you can give a quick explanation on?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
two network interfaces, one for your LAN and the other going to your PoE switch w/all your cameras configured for Static IP's with no Gateways.. they need to be different subnets.. so like 192.168.0.X for your LAN and 192.168.1.X for your Video network.

only your BlueIris server will be able to access both the LAN and the Cameras, devices on LAN cant see cameras and Camera network cant see the LAN, or the Internet either.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it would require a multi-interface router and perhaps VLAN capable switches.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, i see. Never worked with auto-iris! I have on my mind to buy one of these and test it out. I was impressed by yor videos! It seems to be a great device. I am building my own cameras from high end scrap. On my avatar i put a view from my front-entrance. This was today after midnight. At the rear side it is a little darker. But for Germany i have a very big property. I can play with 16 cams or more. The hurdle is to order from China. Today everyone can enter our Country without papers but i have to drive 100 miles to customs office to receive a 30$ cam.
I was contemplating this in the shower and here is what I concluded; these Dahua Starlight Cameras heavily depend on Noise Reduction.. if you turn it off its far noisier than a non-starlight camera.. the big sensor ultra version is unusable w/NR disabled.. Makes sence, if you ever tried to read a voltage past a few decimal places you know it requires alot of noise canceling circuitry.. these starlight sensors are trying to read very faint signals so they very sensitive; there's going to be a vast amount of noise.. I run my non-starlights at 33% NR, and if I take my starlights below the factory default of 50% it gets very noisy very fast.

The DSP on these Starlights have to see past the noise and look for the real signal (Signal to Noise Ratio).. the better the NR the more signal you can extract.. just because a camera is running the same CMOS sensor does not mean the resulting performance will be the same.. if everyone used the same DSP/Sensor/Optics then all the images coming out would look identical and even when we know Hik and Dahua and Some other are using same CMOS they always have variations on output that are far more than can be accounted for by simple encoding strategies.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Updates~~~
Today just ship out all orders on Aliexpress for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, now only the latest order who paid on paypal not finished~ I get 10pcs of IPC-HFW5231E-Z the starlight bullet one, if any one asked me before can contact me for this now.

Tomorrow i will check if i will get more HDW5231R-Z~ Dahua company also have holiday from 24th to Feb.4th. Some shipping company already on holiday now. Chinese new year is crazy, all 1.3 billion guys are off to celebrate the new year.:eek:
SD59225U-HNI &SD49225T-HN tomorrow i also will have news too.

Andy

austintech

n3wb
Reaction score
Updates~~~
Today just ship out all orders on Aliexpress for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, now only the latest order who paid on paypal not finished~ I get 10pcs of IPC-HFW5231E-Z the starlight bullet one, if any one asked me before can contact me for this now.

Tomorrow i will check if i will get more HDW5231R-Z~ Dahua company also have holiday from 24th to Feb.4th. Some shipping company already on holiday now. Chinese new year is crazy, all 1.3 billion guys are off to celebrate the new year.:eek:
SD59225U-HNI &SD49225T-HN tomorrow i also will have news too.

Andy
Looks like i'm late to the party, is this still available for purchase? What are steps to order? website doesn't let me add to cart.