Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I get along fine outdoors with good low light domes in sheltered positions with their IR turned off. You're more dependent on external lighting but that's a good thing. It just forces you to do it the best way. In high direct sun conditions expect to replace the plastic dome after a few years. When shaded don't worry about it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this camera is more vandal proof?
Or why should i buy this camera instead the turret?
domes are no more vandal proof than turrets...if somone can reach the camera they can inflict the same amount of damage to either..in fact its easier to damage the dome itself...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
But trivial to replace a scratched or spraypainted bubble.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ask your buyer. My Axis domes each came with a spare.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ask your buyer. My Axis domes each came with a spare.
Spares are not easy to come by nor cheap for dahua/hikvisions...I dont install domes (except for the mini indoors) so I have no interest in them anyway.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
So, given that the turrets are Unobtainium at the moment and that the starlight domes are available and superior to every other camera in their price range, and if mounted under an eave and used with external lighting will provide a picture arguably as good as the turret, you are recommending what if somebody wants/needs cameras now? Buy nothing? DHL a 4231C that'll be inferior to the starlight dome? Sometimes buying nothing or recommending lower end relative crap just because it is available isn't the right decision.

I can even argue that my domes have survived unscathed in conditions that might've destroyed a bullet or turret. Ever accidentally pick up gravel with a snowblower and blast a dome? I have. No issues. Would the rocks have broken the glass in a bullet or turret? Quite possibly.

It is up to the buyer to weigh the choices based on impatience, performance, location, need for it now, price, and availability. The current shortage of turrets certainly makes the domes more attractive under the right mounting locations.

Just make sure that they know the limitations of exposed domes, particularly when using internal IR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, given that the turrets are Unobtainium at the moment and that the starlight domes are available and superior to every other camera in their price range, and if mounted under an eave and used with external lighting will provide a picture arguably as good as the turret, you are recommending what if somebody wants/needs cameras now? Buy nothing? DHL a 4231C that'll be inferior to the starlight dome? Sometimes buying nothing or recommending lower end relative crap just because it is available isn't the right decision.

I can even argue that my domes have survived unscathed in conditions that might've destroyed a bullet or turret. Ever accidentally pick up gravel with a snowblower and blast a dome? I have. No issues. Would the rocks have broken the glass in a bullet or turret? Quite possibly.

It is up to the buyer to weigh the choices based on impatience, performance, location, need for it now, price, and availability. The current shortage of turrets certainly makes the domes more attractive under the right mounting locations.

Just make sure that they know the limitations of exposed domes, particularly when using internal IR.
I would recommend they wait...yes...external IR is a hassle and an not aesthetically pleasing. The dome also does not have a built in mic. The only time I would recommend the dome is if someone must have audio out or alarm in/out.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I might recommend waiting if there wasn't a pressing need for cams NOW (sometimes there is, or at least there seems to be at the time) or maybe a cheaper turret now in an exposed location to be relocated to a less pressing location after the starlight gear arrived. I just don't ascribe to the theory that a dome is always bad, particularly if the installer is experienced and knows the conditions and location of where it'll be used. The seamless addition of audio to the turret's video feed is nice if you're in a location that permits it without getting yourself sued, but the lack of alarm inputs can relegate it to the ranks of "amateur" camera outdoors. Most self-installing homeowners won't use those inputs though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr do you think so if has any effect for the nightvision for the starlight?
with as sensitive as these cameras are to light; I suspect all the normal problems that domes present outdoors will be amplified even further.. however these domes are a LXIR type of IR and not an array of round diodes encircling the lens so that has the potential to counter-act some dome issues.. I have not had any direct experience with a dual LXIR dome, but I have with large arrays of LED's and they were a bundle of issues not worth the hassle.

either way, regardless if the IR problems are off the table it'll still susceptible to water spots, dirt/dust, light refraction/flaring, and UV degradation like other domes; just more sensitive.

For an indoor IR camera or any place outdoors where you need vandal protection it would probably be a very fine choice; though I think I'd prefer the IPC-HDB4231C-AS as an indoor camera unless I needed IR, I doubt the varifocal will be much use indoors and the audio will probably be more desirable in the kids room, so will the dome with them throwing toys around.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few dome cameras, and the ones in sheltered locations have been just fine as long as I make sure there is no IR bleed around the black foam ring when I put the dome on - it is deviously tricky sometimes and you don't know it bleeds until nightfall. Some of these have LXIR and some have an old fashioned LED ring.

Actually the one dome I have the most trouble with (due to the dome bubble) is a Dahua PTZ (no built in IR) that is not sheltered at all so water runs down the bubble and it gets dirty and IR from my new wide angle illuminator shines up into the dome innards and reflects a bit. It is worst during some times of day when the sun reflects off the dirt on the dome and just screws over the entire image, like driving towards the sun with a dirty windshield.

In each case when I bought a dome, it was because that was the only form factor that offered the features I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. I wouldn't touch them otherwise.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, given that the turrets are Unobtainium at the moment
What caused this to happen? Did Dahua just not make enough of them?

If so, let's get Dahua on the phone and have them crank some more out.

We should notify John from IPVM. Have him do a story on the issue since we know Dahua reads his site often and sometimes responds to the articles.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Early days in the release and they're just trickling out. Patience.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
What caused this to happen? Did Dahua just not make enough of them?

If so, let's get Dahua on the phone and have them crank some more out.

We should notify John from IPVM. Have him do a story on the issue since we know Dahua reads his site often and sometimes responds to the articles.
New models, the chips from the supplier also meet some problems. Seems the CHIPS bit tight these days. For the latest new 6MP OR 8MP cameras booking dates need 2 months or even more, anyway, i will do my best and keep updated for you guys.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua got banned from his site. They deactivated their account because they were sharing passwords amongst multiple people even after multiple warnings. I haven't been back there in a while to see if they are back in IPVM's good graces or not yet though.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried to order a HDW5231R-Z from aliexpress (BEC Technology) on Nov.22, but no shipment yet. Today got this note: "i just have a bad news to share here, the HDW5231R-Z now having a little delay, dahua reply there has some problem for the chips of the batch they are producing. They are solving this right now, before this can't ship anymore stocks to me.....so the time have to delay around 1 week now." This is now the second delay on this order. Do I have any other options?

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to order a HDW5231R-Z from aliexpress (BEC Technology) on Nov.22, but no shipment yet. Today got this note: "i just have a bad news to share here, the HDW5231R-Z now having a little delay, dahua reply there has some problem for the chips of the batch they are producing. They are solving this right now, before this can't ship anymore stocks to me.....so the time have to delay around 1 week now." This is now the second delay on this order. Do I have any other options?
I got the same message too. I ordered Nov.11 and still not shipped. I have to cancel that order. Let see how fast Andy return my moneys . I have to think some other model to replace that one, maybe starlight PTZ.