Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PM with Andy and he says "oh, you are in USA so have to get a NTSC one."
I read on here that for IP Cam PAL vs NTSC is not relevant.
Correct me the newb please.
Thx
Not relevant.

Last edited:

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
i wonder why on the pics the IR-LED are black. On the official Dahua-site, the IR-LED look different?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i wonder why on the pics the IR-LED are black. On the official Dahua-site, the IR-LED look different?
easy; the IR has a lens/diffuser on it.. if you look the camera dead on, its white.. if you look at it from a side angle its black because none of the light is being reflected back in your direction.. just a trick of the eyes.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I requested NTSCs...never got any confirmation whatsoever...never bothered to ask Andy because I knew he was very busy...resigned to the fact that I'd be getting PAL...no big deal...lo & behold...I got NTSC cams!

Thanks, Andy...you're service is first-rate!!!

View attachment 13691
Yeah, all my hikvision are pal, it makes 0 difference for an IP Cam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe @EMPIRETECANDY can provide firmware that will turn a NTSC into a PAL and a PAL into a NTSC.. so if your not satisfied just ask him for the files.

however there is always some risk w/firmware updates; and it really makes very little difference.. PAL limits to 50FPS, NTSC to 60FPS however PAL has slightly better sub-stream (D1/C1) resolutions.. thats the only variations, and they are fully capable of mixing and matching.. my system is half pal and half ntsc and its never concerned me for a moment.

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ordered on 12/26 and received today in South Florida. Thanks Andy, great service!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PM'ed Andy to get on the wait list and then went and cancelled two orders of Hikvision turrets I had coming from Amazon. Can't wait to play with one of these! :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe @EMPIRETECANDY can provide firmware that will turn a NTSC into a PAL and a PAL into a NTSC.. so if your not satisfied just ask him for the files.

however there is always some risk w/firmware updates; and it really makes very little difference.. PAL limits to 50FPS, NTSC to 60FPS however PAL has slightly better sub-stream (D1/C1) resolutions.. thats the only variations, and they are fully capable of mixing and matching.. my system is half pal and half ntsc and its never concerned me for a moment.
You mean 50 and 60hz?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since this is a new camera, I'm guessing Dahua will tweak the firmware over time. How does the process of getting updated firmware for cameras ordered from Andy work (if it's even possible)?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mean 50 and 60hz?
no I mean 50FPS and 60FPS like I said; digital signals dont run at either 50Hz or 60Hz..

anti-flicker features are available in either firmware for both 50Hz and 60Hz, but thats nothing to do with any of this.. thats just telling autoexposure not to match the shutter speed to a number divisible by either one; that way you wont catch lights and tv scanning on the same frequencies.

Reactions: Tic

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since this is a new camera, I'm guessing Dahua will tweak the firmware over time. How does the process of getting updated firmware for cameras ordered from Andy work (if it's even possible)?
It may be a new camera but the software is extremely mature; unless some huge bugs come up.. which is very unlikely at this point there wont be much if any firmware released.. unless you have a good reason to change the firmware, dont.. just because you can is not a good reason.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you order via Aliexpress.com? I did on 12/25. My order is about to be canceled due to no activity.
Yes, Aliexpress. Ordered 12/26 and it is set to be delivered tomorrow. Incredibly fast. 2 - 3 days from Hong Kong.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I took a few shots, not exhaustive by any means but it's getting late and I have tons of time to fart around with it, first impressions? I freaking love it, it blows my hikvision away, and I can NEVAR go back to manual focus again. Unless dahua or someone else comes out with something else around the same price point that is a lot better than this, I will probably be buying like 3 more of these when the next batch comes in, I already told Andy to reserve me 3. Here are some shots out back, quick and dirty, I don't have test rigs or anything yes so I used a lawn chair, sue me lol. File names are self explanatory.

Notes:
I've got a pretty good sized flood light that lights up the back yard, when the light is out, it's pretty much pitch dark back there except for moonlight. Cameras were on a chair close to the ground so light dispersion probably would have been better if they were higher up.

Attachments

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered on Dec.24th, and my cameras arrived today. Fantastic service from @EMPIRETECANDY !!! Everything looks good out of the box. Testing on the ground overnight, and then I'll be replacing at least one existing cam tomorrow. :)

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I took a few shots, not exhaustive by any means but it's getting late and I have tons of time to fart around with it, first impressions? I freaking love it, it blows my hikvision away, and I can NEVAR go back to manual focus again. Unless dahua or someone else comes out with something else around the same price point that is a lot better than this, I will probably be buying like 3 more of these when the next batch comes in, I already told Andy to reserve me 3. Here are some shots out back, quick and dirty, I don't have test rigs or anything yes so I used a lawn chair, sue me lol. File names are self explanatory.

Notes:
I've got a pretty good sized flood light that lights up the back yard, when the light is out, it's pretty much pitch dark back there except for moonlight. Cameras were on a chair close to the ground so light dispersion probably would have been better if they were higher up.
Is that a Doberman?

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Chrome killed NPAPI plugins, gotta use the NACL Web Plugin w/Chrome.. Safari and IE are the only browsers left that work with the NPAPI plugin.
Where did you find the plugin at? I don't see it in the CWS.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ordered on Dec.24th, and my cameras arrived today. Fantastic service from @EMPIRETECANDY !!! Everything looks good out of the box. Testing on the ground overnight, and then I'll be replacing at least one existing cam tomorrow. :)
thinking about leaving mine out back overnight pointing at one of my future choke points, I'll need to make sure the connection isn't exposed though it's been raining a lot here, I got the junction box with mine, it feels like metal and is very well constructed. hope he gets more of these in soon.