Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I need a few more turrets unless I decide to just get some ultra bullet haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got five of these from Andy. Going through the installation process of getting cable and figuring out precise mounting points. Only thing I noticed testing them indoors was that one of them makes an audible motor noise when zooming out, and only zooming out, while the others are quiet. Is this anything to be concerned about? It seems to focus and be fine otherwise.

I just want to make sure that these turrets and their housing can withstand the rain. The driveway cam is probably the least protected of all and could take direct rain onto it falling at an angle.

What do you guys use to fill in the 3/4" hole that the pigtail gets shoved into? Caulk or something else? I'm mounting directly to wood siding or wooden eves with no junction box.

Do you consider 9 feet too high for accurate facial ID (for the driveway cam)? I wanted it at 8 feet but I am a little squeamish drilling into a load bearing post that holds the garage wall at the center, especially since the pigtail needs a big hole to fit and hide. At 9ft I can just go through siding and house wrap foam and maybe a single horizontal 2x4.
Make sure to drill on a upward angle to keep water from running in.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got five of these from Andy. Going through the installation process of getting cable and figuring out precise mounting points. Only thing I noticed testing them indoors was that one of them makes an audible motor noise when zooming out, and only zooming out, while the others are quiet. Is this anything to be concerned about? It seems to focus and be fine otherwise.
I had a similar issue.. lot of noise See post 1321 AND 1377
Moving \ removing a packet fixed the noise.
One was held down with a dab of glue, the other was just free floating tucked behind the circuit board.
I would say, if you have not opened it yet, don't yank the two halves apart too fast...the wires connecting the two are extremely thin and short.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
got my hands on the bullet version of this:
IMAG0743.jpg

I'll probably create another thread specific to the bullet

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im lucky that Andy sent me a few freebie cameras; the wife's under the impression that these are all demos and im not spending a small fortune while she's pregnant..

this is why I hid my bonus for the last 6 months heh

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get firmware version 2.460.0000.2.R, Build Date: 2016-12-16?

I just received my 2nd camera and it has this version, but the first one I got last week has the October 25th version still. Also, newest one is PAL, not NTSC like other one, which seems to make little difference, but I do find it annoying, as for one, I can't seem to export settings over to other one so I don't have to redo everything, plus some settings are different, or at least look different, makes it seem like I don't even have 2 of the same camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
contact @EMPIRETECANDY for firmware files, Ive thought about getting them and posting them to this forum... but tha'd just encourage people to upgrade whom have no reason to.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine's even older on software version 2.400.0000.23.R build date: 2016-07-05 on a PAL camera (just adding for info)

I'll update this one when I get chance to see if it helps with the slowdown when microSD storage is in use (it's supposed to be a fast 90MB/sec card but maybe random writes are killing it)

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK. I am new to setting up cameras. I usually can figures this stuff out and am confident I will be able to but am wondering if I set myself up with a compatibility issue.

I purchased a LTS LTN8932-P16 with 6TB purple drive. I also purchased 25 of the cameras that are the main topic of this thread.

Should I be able to view these cameras on this NVR without a problem> If the answer is that it should work then I will ask specific questions on how to get started.

Thanks,

JEff

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well you should have purchased a matching Dahua NVR and it'd work without a problem.. I cant say anything about your LTS but it should be doable via ONVIF, but your going to have to set them all up and add them to the NVR manually.. the NVR wont know what to do with another vendors cameras so there is no plug-n-play since the NVR is unable to configure them.

many features wont be available too you since you mix and matched vendors; IVS wont work for sure.

Reaction score
Think I will buy a different NVR then. I need this to be easy so I can move on to other projects. Would you recommend a particular model number?

I'll sell this NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5216-4KS2 seems to be a good pairing w/these cams, Ive got a 4216-4k and they work fine.

Reaction score
Thanks Nayr! I'll check that out. Might consider blue iris also but I like the idea of plug and play and move on. My camera purchase is mostly to help with shoplifting problem.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
5216-4KS2 seems to be a good pairing w/these cams, Ive got a 4216-4k and they work fine.
I'll strongly 2nd this recommendation, except that it looks like you'd want the 5232-4KS2. I started with an LTS8916 and out of frustration took a chance on the 5216-4KS2. BIG improvement if you're running headless or remote access. For local connect I've got no comparison. You will lose 2 disk positions and a bunch of alarm I/Os with the 52xx.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get 2 16's w/external PoE if you need 32 and use the cluster feature; much easier to fit 16 cameras on 2-disks and then you can have your most important cameras redundant on both if your not using all 32ch

with em clustered they can operate as a big NVR through Dahua's client software.. play back video from seperate NVR's at same time.

you can also run dual monitoring displays with 16 on each, instead of a single one with 32 lil ones or having to cycle through windows

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
So much to learn. I didn't have a clue what the cluster feature is. I'll add that the POE-less 5216-4KS2 uses an external power supply and the case fan is pretty reasonable, sound-wise. Doesn't require hearing protection like the LTS box does :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua's clustering lets you setup master/slave NVR's, slaves can replace masters on the network when they drop out and they can transfer recordings between devices.

Its more for high availability/redundancy, much better than running RAID crap.. but working with multiple recorders w/SmartPSS and the other Dahua apps is pretty painless and dont really have much downside.. You can play back video across two different NVR's in sync, or display live streams from any number of devices in any order you want.

Ive seen facilities with 16ch NVR's stacked 10 deep, they are the sweet spot it seems.. get much bigger and the costs go way up without alot of additional gains.. 160ch with space for 20 disks and 10 display outputs for ~$3k is hard to beat.. a singular unit would rival that price and likely offer less disks and display outputs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Appreciate the information from both of you. I like the idea of 2 NVR. When I built this building I actually ran some of the camera CAT cable to one room on one end of the building and the rest to a different room on the other end of the building. I wasn't thinking about a "raid" type setup. My thought process was that if I was broken into and someone took the NVR with them, they would have no reason to think there is a second.

I wasn't going to record to both from any one camera because I didn't realize that was an option. I was just going to have some cameras on one and some on the other.

I had aborted this idea at some point and was going to just run everything to one NVR. Back to plan A! The way I build my building makes it real easy to run any new CAT runs that I wish without much trouble.

Another question that I have not really found much information on but common sense tells me will work.... the NVR does NOT have to be easy access in order for me to live view and/or review recording. Correct? I mean if I have NVR in equipment room I would like to be able to do any functions from my office over LAN.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can put NVR anywhere you can get a wire if you use external PoE and access recordings/live view over IP.. if you want to hook a display/mouse up to the NVR directly they do make HDMI and USB cables out to some pretty high lengths, as long as your reasonably close to the input/outputs it can be done.