Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is off topic but it might be useful for some people here.

I found this 8 channel TTL GPIO, 6 of which can be analog to digital input for input voltage 0-5V. It costs on $20 but takes a couple of weeks to ship from India. You can use any language that reads/writes from the serial port - I use Ruby.

8 Channel USB GPIO Module With Analog Inputs

I use this for the following: I have a PIR sensor on the road to my driveway. When triggered it sends a signal via radio to a receiver in my house (one of the Dakota series). The receiver has relays are are triggered when the channel is triggered. I use the Normally Open side of the relay. The relay connects to the board above with a series resistor that holds the voltage high. When the relay is triggered the signal goes from high to low. A Ruby program interfaces with the board via a serial port and monitors once a second for when the channel goes low. When it does, it uses JSON to send an external event to BI which then notifies me via email that someone/something is on my driveway. I might use one of the outputs on the board to trigger a doorbell in my basement so if I'm downstairs I can know when something is happening on my driveway.

Again off topic, but I think this is a useful device.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is off topic but it might be useful for some people here.

I found this 8 channel TTL GPIO, 6 of which can be analog to digital input for input voltage 0-5V. It costs on $20 but takes a couple of weeks to ship from India. You can use any language that reads/writes from the serial port - I use Ruby.

8 Channel USB GPIO Module With Analog Inputs

I use this for the following: I have a PIR sensor on the road to my driveway. When triggered it sends a signal via radio to a receiver in my house (one of the Dakota series). The receiver has relays are are triggered when the channel is triggered. I use the Normally Open side of the relay. The relay connects to the board above with a series resistor that holds the voltage high. When the relay is triggered the signal goes from high to low. A Ruby program interfaces with the board via a serial port and monitors once a second for when the channel goes low. When it does, it uses JSON to send an external event to BI which then notifies me via email that someone/something is on my driveway. I might use one of the outputs on the board to trigger a doorbell in my basement so if I'm downstairs I can know when something is happening on my driveway.

Again off topic, but I think this is a useful device.
Sorry but no.

You don't want to use an analog input device for security sensors. Ideally you use an opto-isolated digital input device... all you need to know is on/off

Wire into a cam with io, an NVR, or a sealevel daq for bi.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
analogue input not bad for security sensors if your measuring for an end of line resistor.. but I highly doubt he's doign that and opto isolators are good on anything external.

forgot about sealevel devices, yeah no point at all in all that hodgpodge with those available for a reasonable price given what they do (plug-n-play ethernet gpio)

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks j4co. I am going to order the PFB203W. Appreciate confirmation of compatibility and informative post.

It is a HDW5231r-z on a pFB203w indeed on that picture.

Difference between PFB202W and the PFB203W is that the cable 'dent' is on the other side.
See the on this page next to each other.
Wall mount bracket

Th difference between 203 and 204 is in the hole distance for mounting camera.

These mounts are quite good, i will use them everywhere on my new house.
Explained it before, they have a detachable part that mounts to the wall (wall plate) and than you hook up the larger part you see on the images to it and lock it with small inbuss screw.
The detachable part is the same in the whole series, so whenever you change camera type,myou can simply buy new mount for the new camera and hook it up. No new holes to drill etc.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which mount would you recommend for mounting the 5231r-z on the soffit? The facia comes down a few inches so I want to make sure it's below.

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
i had problems with motion detection on the cam. After a lot of testing i think it's a firmware bug on motion detection in cam (Firmware dated 25 Oct 2016). The problem exists if you rotate the picture and/or use mirror-funktion in picture settings. Motion detection 's area is still the same (as without rotate/mirror). i hope you understand what i mean, sorry for my bad english... For example: if i use "mirror" then motion detection on the left side of the image will only trigger if the defined area is on the right side - very strange. Someone else with this problem?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I had this in my Axis cams once. One support ticket fixed it quickly.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which mount would you recommend for mounting the 5231r-z on the soffit? The facia comes down a few inches so I want to make sure it's below.
So long as the fascia doesn't block the camera's view, probably none you can mount it directly.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A 3" fascia board in front of a soffit mounted turret is going to cause problems with internal IR use and probably also block some of the view of the cam, depending on mounting height, angle downward, and lens length. You could try it but I bet a mounting box would greatly improve things. And yes, external IR is the bee's knees.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, I fi-na-lly got the chance to order 5 of the 5321's just now after waiting for stock since early December. I wonder how long they'll take with CNY...

After some deliberation, decided the PFB203W was the correct wall mount. Only 4 in stock! Ugh. Oh well. Ordered them anyway.

Booked yet another flight to Australia where the Dahua NVR is installed, waiting...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, I fi-na-lly got the chance to order 5 of the 5321's just now after waiting for stock since early December. I wonder how long they'll take with CNY...

After some deliberation, decided the PFB203W was the correct wall mount. Only 4 in stock! Ugh. Oh well. Ordered them anyway.

Booked yet another flight to Australia where the Dahua NVR is installed, waiting...
Dahua Technology PFB203W Waterproof Wall Mount Bracket PFB203W
lots of other places sell those