Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gotta say my camera is being a PITA. I got motion setup with email alerts which worked fine. then I set the schedule for the motion for 7am-7pm and saved. I was still continuously getting alert after 7pm. Is there just a huge delay in when I save a setting and it takes effect. About 10:30pm I finally stopped receiving notifications. I restarted the camera 2 times. I checked the timing of the alerts through the email delivery time and they match within a minute of when the alert was triggered so it's not an email lag.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I gotta say my camera is being a PITA. I got motion setup with email alerts which worked fine. then I set the schedule for the motion for 7am-7pm and saved. I was still continuously getting alert after 7pm. Is there just a huge delay in when I save a setting and it takes effect. About 10:30pm I finally stopped receiving notifications. I restarted the camera 2 times. I checked the timing of the alerts through the email delivery time and they match within a minute of when the alert was triggered so it's not an email lag.
Make sure the clock is synchronized correctly. I have mine checking the NIST server every minute. I noticed there was some clock discrepancies across devices when I had each device synchronized every hour.

Not sure if that helps the issue. Are you doing email alerts from your NVR or directly from camera?

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure the clock is synchronized correctly. I have mine checking the NIST server every minute. I noticed there was some clock discrepancies across devices when I had each device synchronized every hour.

Not sure if that helps the issue. Are you doing email alerts from your NVR or directly from camera?
Directly from the camera. I have the time manually synced. I'll check and see if there is something off there. Thx

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stupid ? prepping cameras to be installed and setting them up with IPs etc and names but every time I load the cam still it SHOWS IPC on the overlay
Can this be changed when I load them all up in Blueiris ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid ? prepping cameras to be installed and setting them up with IPs etc and names but every time I load the cam still it SHOWS IPC on the overlay
Can this be changed when I load them all up in Blueiris ?
yes, this is changed in the camera web interface...blue iris is irrelevant.

hd88

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a problem with the way Dahua implements their event recording algorithm, in all their IP cameras and NVRs, as far as I can tell.

Sucks. Other threads discuss this. Work arounds include continuous recording and storing only jpg snapshots
This is a problem with the way Dahua implements their event recording algorithm in all their IP cameras and NVRs, as far as I can tell.

Sucks. Other threads discuss this. Work arounds include continuous recording and storing only jpg snapshots on event triggers.
I have continuous recording.

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have continuous recording.
The problem is event video recording with or without continuous recording has not been implemented correctly. So there will be at least a one second drop of video on event recording. One such workaround is to turn off event video recording, keep continuous recording and store a jpeg snapshot on event triggers (ivs, motion, etc.). That way you have a time line of events you can look at when scrolling through the video recording.

hd88

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is event video recording with or without continuous recording has not been implemented correctly. So there will be at least a one second drop of video on event recording. One such workaround is to turn off event video recording, keep continuous recording and store a jpeg snapshot on event triggers (ivs, motion, etc.). That way you have a time line of events you can look at when scrolling through the video recording.
I am using push notification on my phone is there any side effects if I switch to this mode?

Thanks!

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using push notification on my phone is there any side effects if I switch to this mode?

Thanks!
I don't use push notifications. I would assume not, as I believe the oush notification simply alerts one to the fact that an event was triggered. The camera does a good job at this, it is just that the code hey used to implement the recording of the event (video) is fundamentally flawed.

Workaround as discussed is to record continuously. No problem there and then have some other method that one can use as a time stamp to mark when events where triggered for later review. The snapshot method is one such way to accomplish this, without losing any video data

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a write up on here for recommended picture quality settings for the 5231?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how to use the weather sealing part that comes with the PFA137 mount please?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If u forgot to install weather boot and dont want to recrimp it u can use coax tape.they sell them at home depot or amazon.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how to use the weather sealing part that comes with the PFA137 mount please?

Oh nice, this came with the bracket? I thought I'll have to buy it as an extra.
So screw one of the caps (below in the picture) out of your bracket D, then screw A into the hole, fix it from the inside with C, then put B over your Cat. cable and stick the cable through A into D. Then you can fix the cable with B. Then of course you'll need the weatherproof plastic which came with your camera. Put the things on the cable, crimp your RJ45 jack onto your cable, plug it into your cam and close the weatherproof connection kit. Then you could loosen B a bit to adjust the length of your Cat. cable in the bracket. Tighten B and that's it.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
then screw A into the hole, fix it from the inside with C
Not possible. A's end is very short and it will screw into the hole, but it doesn't come out the other side, so part C can't attach.

Actually, I just looked at my 2nd PFA137...and it seems 1 is defective, because the other part is much longer

Last edited:

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The seal should just sit on top. see attached.

Edit: Of course my employer is blocking the pic CrazyKiller/mordak shared sighh
I don't think your pic is relevant, use your phone to type in our image url