Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
That Looks Great! Is that camera just sitting on the ground?

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try one of these pointed out towards the mailbox:

Amazon.com : Univivi IR Illuminator, 850nm 12 LEDs Wide Angle IR Illuminator for Night Vision, Waterproof LED Infrared Light with 12V DC Power Adapter for IP Camera, CCTV Security Camera : Camera & Photo

if it doesn't work for you, you can easily return it.

I got a few of these and with my testing they work pretty well.

Here was my test when I was just getting the units:

No IR, just the streetlight on the other side of the house:

and with light above and to the left of the camera:

I went and ordered this IR illuminator . Seem to have good review and one of Amazon best seller item.

Amazon.com : Univivi Infrared Illuminator, 850nm 6 Leds 90 Degree Wide Angle IR Illuminator for Night Vision, Waterproof LED Infrared Light for IP Camera, CCTV Security Camera : Camera & Photo

I didn't need the power adapter since I have a box full of them so I am saving about 10 bucks going with this one.

Thank you

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went and ordered this IR illuminator . Seem to have good review and one of Amazon best seller item.

Amazon.com : Univivi Infrared Illuminator, 850nm 6 Leds 90 Degree Wide Angle IR Illuminator for Night Vision, Waterproof LED Infrared Light for IP Camera, CCTV Security Camera : Camera & Photo

I didn't need the power adapter since I have a box full of them so I am saving about 10 bucks going with this one.

Thank you
I tried that one too, along with the 18 LED version. So far I think the 12 is the best of the three. The 6 LED one is a bit more of a concentrated spot light, so if it doesn't work out you can still return it as they are from the same Amazon seller + Prime with no hassle returns.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I set up a DHCP reservation using the MAC on the base of the camera. Rebooted the camera several times and it did not receive the IP. Checked the config tool and web interface and noticed that the actual MAC was different. Everything working fine now with the correct MAC.
I had the same issue, the camera seems to be working fine, but an incorrect MAC address is a little disconcerting. Anyone have any ideas why the MAC address in the camera is different than the one on the base?

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you're supposed to install the camera with the IR lights underneath the lens, but I get a better framing when I have the IR lights beside the lens (ie. 90 degree turn). Does anyone see an issue with installing it this way?

PS - I know you can flip the orientation of the camera using the camera's website, but I find that it severely affects the view.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We had the CID around yesterday (UK Police) and again the officers have said the footage from this camera that they have been given is the best they have seen from home CCTV (they have day and night footage from an ongoing incident).

Unfortunately this is more serious than the last one so I can't post any footage.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We had the CID around yesterday (UK Police) and again the officers have said the footage from this camera that they have been given is the best they have seen from home CCTV (they have day and night footage from an ongoing incident).

Unfortunately this is more serious than the last one so I can't post any footage.
I've seen some London's cctv foot age on the news, and it's bad.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys. Two things:

1) one of my three 5231's, the Zoom controls are greyed out on blueiris... it works on the other two. ... seem unable to adjust zoom
2) when accessing cameras through the Chrome plugin on windows, don't get any live preview whatsoever.

Any ideas?

idiskjock

n3wb
Reaction score
Newb question hoping to get a quick answer:

-Do you need to plug a brand new ipcamera into the router to change anything (IVS setting, IP address, Password) before installing them?
-If the ipcameras are already installed before that was completed, how do you go and make these changes (IVS setting, IP address, Password) to each ipcamera itself? Password to the NVR login has already been changed. Not sure if you need to do anything to the ipcamera itself for security purposes. TIA

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Newb question hoping to get a quick answer:

-Do you need to plug a brand new ipcamera into the router to change anything (IVS setting, IP address, Password) before installing them?
-If the ipcameras are already installed before that was completed, how do you go and make these changes (IVS setting, IP address, Password) to each ipcamera itself? Password to the NVR login has already been changed. Not sure if you need to do anything to the ipcamera itself for security purposes. TIA
If you are asking about cameras that are on its' own network plugged into the PoE portson NVR the answer is no. If you are using Dauha NVR with the latest unofficial firmware, you should be able to configure each camera including the IVS directly from the NVR menu.

If you are using other NVR brand than the Dauha, I never tried it but if there an unused port available on the PoE, ideally you should be able to plug your laptop network into it and use the laptop to configure each camera that is on the NVR network or you will need to find a way to unplug the camera and plug it back into your main network. One other way to do this is to get a Ethernet coupler and unplug both the camera you want to configure and the Ethernet from WAN of NVR then use the coupler to connect the camera directly to your main network however it will only work if your camera and NVR was set to use DCHP.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Newb question hoping to get a quick answer:TIA
You need to plug it in to your network to administer it, and your network needs to be on the 192.168.1.X subnet.

-If the ipcameras are already installed before that was completed, how do you go and make these changes (IVS setting, IP address, Password) to each ipcamera itself? Password to the NVR login has already been changed. Not sure if you need to do anything to the ipcamera itself for security purposes.
Once the camera and your network are on the same subnet and communicating, you can log in to the web GUI via 192.168.1.108, the cameras factory default IP address. You should change the cameras password from admin on your initial login.

SD

idiskjock

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @TechBill @Solar Deity .

I plugged the ipcams into a Dahua NVR within the same network and it all works dandy and displays video correctly. Just curious if it was essential to change the PW and maybe IP of each ipcam so that they are not default (and an easy target for hack). I recently updated my NVR to the latest DH software so that I get the Dahua logos. Is the latest unreleased version generic or Dahua?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @TechBill @Solar Deity .

I plugged the ipcams into a Dahua NVR within the same network and it all works dandy and displays video correctly. Just curious if it was essential to change the PW and maybe IP of each ipcam so that they are not default (and an easy target for hack). I recently updated my NVR to the latest DH software so that I get the Dahua logos. Is the latest unreleased version generic or Dahua?

I would change the password for sure, don't use the default one even if your camera are on the NVR network. Username can be left at default "admin".

There are no security benefits changing port number so it can be left alone and use DCHP to get ip address for cameras unless you want to go with static ip address to make it easier to configure the camera without having to scan to find which ip address the cameras are on.

lrobin5000

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question about the zoom on the IPC HDW5231R-Z. I'm still trying to learn about these high quality cameras and probably got ahead of myself. I purchased the IPC-HDW5231E-Z12 with 12x zoom thinking the long zoom would result in the highest quality but figured out right away that it was the wrong camera for my situation. The camera itself is awesome - the resolution this thing has is amazing and it's exactly what I was hoping for... However, due to my ignorance and lack of a full understanding of all the specs, I realized that having a stationary camera isn't going to work for me. I was going to use it for 2 different purposes- to add a higher quality camera to the cheap amcrests I already have for security but also wanted something that could provide good quality close ups of my bird feeders. I took the camera out today and was trying it in different positions. That's when I realized the fixed style isn't going to work. So...my question is about how close the R-Z can actually zoom. I've attached video that I got today w/ the Z12. I love the quality but, as you can see, it can only captures the top bird feeder when I zoom in. I also attached a photo of where my current cameras and birdfeeders are located. The blue circle is for the backdoor. The yellow circle is for my backyard. I had hoped to replace it w/ the Z12 but when I temporarily mounted it on the ladder, that's when I figured out it won't work. I drew a red circle at a location where I could just add the R-Z for the single purpose of getting good quality images for my feeders. I will leave the other 2 cameras where they are for the security purposes. Please let me know if you guys think I could expect the same quality based on distance and difference in zoom. Thanks!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could someone who knows about measuring electricity and has the equipment let me know what wattage draw the 5321-Z pulls for day \ night (with IR)?

The specs just say, "Max 8.5W" but I read elsewhere it does not use that much, (I assume that would be max for when running the zoom motor which I would not need ot do often or at all).

Can the wattage draw change if the image changes it is sunny\cloudy\movement?
Could recording at H.624 vs H.625 or having it record to SD card as well as to my BI server 24/7 affect wattage draw?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
When doing a power budget, it's best not to run at the max. Buffer is wise. If spec says 8.5W, I'd budget for 9W or maybe more. This buffer means the power supply isn't running at max, hot, with a shorter life. I wouldn't use an 8.5w supply.
Your question implies you may be planning to provide less than the spec of 8.5w.... May I ask why?
Re: getting actual measurements from a cam or two, I'd urge caution. Not all cams will be identical, but will fall into a range (maybe a bell curve)
Lastly, temp will probably affect current consumption also.
Fastb