Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually I was considering running a POE+ injector to a 4 to 1 POE splitter, seen on other posts to power a few of these cameras vs running 3 or 4 individual CAT lines.
If the camera needs the full 8.5W max all or at any time, that could be an issue.
So I just wantrd to know for this reason and for curiosity what this camera runs day and night w IR.

J4m3s

n3wb
Reaction score
HI guys, just to tell you than cor35vet did a great job. He patched the firmware to get English on Chinese firmware! It works great.

If some are interested, you can get it here
Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

Just one thing, if you use it, please do a reply on his post to thanks him and tell if telnet is working for you (port 2300).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@lrobin5000,

So if I understand, you're asking if you a) mount the HDW5231R-Z in the red circle by the bay window, will you b) get equivalent image quality based on distance and difference in zoom?

I don't see why not.

But why don't you mount the cam to a 2x4, raise the 2x4 so the cam is under the soffit, maybe strap the 2x4 to that ladder, and check for yourself? It's quite common to hear that people re-locate cams when they get actual images, just as you're going through...

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nbstl68,

Ah, I see. You're doing a power budget, essentially. Maybe on a spreadsheet.
Factor in power drop along the cable, especially if the cable is long. The wattage lost on the cable is part of your budget.
Factor in the efficiency of the 1 to 4 poe splitter. Not every watt that reaches the input will be sent out the 4 output ports.
If you plan on using an externally powered mic at any of the cams, factor in the poe to 12V splitter that will power the mic. (it's 48-to-12 conversion efficiency. The mic power consumption is negligible).

Me, I'd do the calculations, then use some real world measurements to confirm my conclusions. The measurements would require making a quickie cat5 breakout cable. To measure current, the meter must be in series, so the POE lines runs through the meter. (series). not a hige amount of work. But it's not something most people have laying around....

Fastb

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2) there are problems with plugin.exe support with major browsers. Try Pale Moon.
Thanks. Will try it....any browser that works for connecting to a camera through browser on an iPad or iPhone?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I reported this to dahua already, but have to push them to fix this bug, they are working on it. Hope can be cleared this soon, this also happens on some NVR. I will do my best.
I will ask some guy to test on other NVR4208-4ks2 to check if works well.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I reported this to dahua already, but have to push them to fix this bug, they are working on it. Hope can be cleared this soon, this also happens on some NVR. I will do my best.
I will ask some guy to test on other NVR4208-4ks2 to check if works well.
Let hope it gets fixed soon. It is a PIA

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see that several other people have had the same issue I have with "Channel x Does not support configuration search or modification". Does anybody know what this message means or what causes it?
I set up my IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight Mini Wedge Dome first (2.400.0000.23.R Build Date 2016-07-05 (PAL)), and setting up IVS on the NVR worked fine, but then two IPC-HDW5231R-Z Starlight VariFocal turrets (2.460.0000.3.R Build Date 2017-01-05 (NTSC)) had the config issue. I am able to configure them direct on the cameras, but I really want to configure IVS on the NVR so that an intrusion on one camera triggers an event on another camera.
I know I need to update to the beta firmware on my DHI-NVR5216-4KS2 and probably the latest official release of [NTSC]DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306 on the three cameras, but since the older camera firmware is the one that is working properly, I am a bit hesitant. Has anybody had any experience with [NTSC]DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306? Thanks,

tul9033

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not getting audio on my downloaded clips. I have audio during live viewing and playback, but if I download a clip in .dav or .avi whether a clipped video or the whole event I have no audio. I've tried viewing with VLC and the smart player, still no audio.
Any ideas?

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not getting audio on my downloaded clips. I have audio during live viewing and playback, but if I download a clip in .dav or .avi whether a clipped video or the whole event I have no audio. I've tried viewing with VLC and the smart player, still no audio.
Any ideas?
What are you recording with? NVR? SD Card?

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually I was considering running a POE+ injector to a 4 to 1 POE splitter, seen on other posts to power a few of these cameras vs running 3 or 4 individual CAT lines.
If the camera needs the full 8.5W max all or at any time, that could be an issue.
So I just wantrd to know for this reason and for curiosity what this camera runs day and night w IR.
The active cam power use is dynamic by function including variables such as boot, zoom, focus, SD card, IR... etc. The only time I witnessed max power use was during the cameras first boot. The following are a couple of power reading snapshots. They vary by hundreds of milliwatts during normal use for instance 2.2w <> 3.0w / 4.2w <> 5.0w which I imagine is mainly IVS load on the CPU.

IR off

IR On - Mode: Manual Intensity: 100

Edit: Power check with SmartIR:

Last edited:

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you're supposed to install the camera with the IR lights underneath the lens, but I get a better framing when I have the IR lights beside the lens (ie. 90 degree turn). Does anyone see an issue with installing it this way?

PS - I know you can flip the orientation of the camera using the camera's website, but I find that it severely affects the view.
Anyone have an opinion on this question?

I have attached some images to show what I mean. When I say the image is rotated, I mean the setting in BI. For the camera, the IR emitter underneath the lens is camera at 0 degrees. Camera rotated 270 is IR emitters to the left of the lens (3 clockwise, quarter turns).

When neither are rotated, then I get a great image with appropriate size.

If I rotate the camera, but not the image, then I get the image size, but the image is sideways.

When I rotate both, then I get the proper image, but the image is much smaller.

The size of the image is very much an artifact of the screen being wider than it is taller, but it is a reality.

The area I want to monitor is taller and more narrow. The camera on its side is a perfect compromise, but the resulting image is much smaller.

Attachments

Last edited:

tul9033

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are you recording with? NVR? SD Card?
I am pulling the video from the SD. I found that if I download the clips to .dav and view them in Smart Viewer I get audio. I haven't found another viewer that will play the audio (VLC, WMP, QT) in either .dav or .mp4. Not sure if I'm missing a codec or what.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am pulling the video from the SD. I found that if I download the clips to .dav and view them in Smart Viewer I get audio. I haven't found another viewer that will play the audio (VLC, WMP, QT) in either .dav or .mp4. Not sure if I'm missing a codec or what.
Have you tried SmartPSS? That's what I use to export, and I get audio on .avi & .mp4.

manwald

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

on their website Dahua say that this cam supports PTZ:
Code:
Lens Type: Motorized/ Auto Iris(DC)
Optical Zoom: 4x
Focus Control: Motorized
Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range: Pan:0˚~360˚; Tilt:0˚~78˚; Rotation:0˚~360
Am I right, or is this not a motorized cam but everything has to be adjusted by hand?

If it is a motorized PTZ-cam, is the software able to control the movements?

Best regards
Mischa

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

Code:
Am I right, or is this not a motorized cam but everything has to be adjusted by hand?

Best regards
Mischa
Zoom is motorized. No motorized pan or tilt. i.e., It's a fixed cam that remotely zooms/focuses. You can manually adjust within the pan/tilt ranges in your quote.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Code:

Best regards
Mischa
Mischa,

This is a motorized zoom camera with the ability to manually change the Pan and Tilt settings.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did a thread search and came up empty. Is it possible to set the focus and then keep it without having the auto-focus activate as something flies by the camera or other? I want it focused on the end of the driveway, but it appears to keep going close and the end of the driveway is blurry. Appreciate any help as I see I can manually adjust focus but it appears to always have auto-focus ready and waiting to mess it up.