Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

kiwibird

n3wb
Reaction score
HFW4231EM-AS is very hard to find. I dont need to ptz but would rather have zoom. zoom isnt essential, but its nice to have.
any other recommendations. There are different specs on dahua. The 4431 has high resolution and better lux
ie
IPC-HFW4431R-Z AU
4MP H.265 IR POE Varifocal IP Bullet Camera (English version with firmware un-upgraded as its stability)

-1/3” 3Megapixel progressive scan Aptina CMOS

-H.265&H.264&MJPEG dual-stream encoding

-Max 20fps3M(2048× 1536), 25/30fps1080P(1920× 1080)
Shutter time:
1/3s~1/100000s;

Auto/Manual
Min. Illumination:
0. 01Lux(Color); 0.001Lux(B&W); 0Lux(IR)

compared to
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • 1/2.8” 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX291) CMOS
  • H.265 & H.264 triple-stream encoding
  • 50/60fps @ 1080p(1920×1080)
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.006 Lux/F1.4 (Color); 0 Lux/F1.4 (IR on)

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any one else having problem with plug in on this camera to view in IE? It either does this, or overlays the screen in setup.
What's your screen resolution? I have trouble with 2560x1440px. With lower resolutions it fits.

Pickel

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm figuring it's because that was on the tv. Works fine on laptop, so I'll just use that.

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HFW4231EM-AS is very hard to find. I dont need to ptz but would rather have zoom. zoom isnt essential, but its nice to have.
any other recommendations. There are different specs on dahua. The 4431 has high resolution and better lux
ie
IPC-HFW4431R-Z AU
4MP H.265 IR POE Varifocal IP Bullet Camera (English version with firmware un-upgraded as its stability)

-1/3” 3Megapixel progressive scan Aptina CMOS

-H.265&H.264&MJPEG dual-stream encoding

-Max 20fps3M(2048× 1536), 25/30fps1080P(1920× 1080)
Shutter time:
1/3s~1/100000s;

Auto/Manual
Min. Illumination:
0. 01Lux(Color); 0.001Lux(B&W); 0Lux(IR)

compared to
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • 1/2.8” 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX291) CMOS
  • H.265 & H.264 triple-stream encoding
  • 50/60fps @ 1080p(1920×1080)
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.006 Lux/F1.4 (Color); 0 Lux/F1.4 (IR on)

It's not better at lux. The higher the number, the less it sees in the dark.

So 0.002 is better than 0.02 for example.

Right @fenderman? :)

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not better at lux. The higher the number, the less it sees in the dark.

So 0.002 is better than 0.02 for example.

Right @fenderman? :)

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
Correct, the lower the lux the lower light the camera can see in.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My camera is way overexposing people that come anywhere near the camera... see attachment. Everything is set to the default, except wdr is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My camera is way overexposing people that come anywhere near the camera... see attachment. Everything is set to the default, except wdr is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks
WDR is not the best option for night view. Did you try it without WDR at night? Or with less intensity?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Will have some new models soon, i booked some, and will invite some guys(who do great help here) free cam to make a testing.
If you guys have any interested models, can ping me.
Attached file is the reset button for the HDW5231R-Z, this model still very nice and always reliable!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Will have some new models soon, i booked some, and will invite some guys(who do great help here) free cam to make a testing.
If you guys have any interested models, can ping me.
Attached file is the reset button for the HDW5231R-Z, this model still very nice and always reliable!
Is it just minor variants on the existing cameras, or something with a whole new sensor?

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WDR is not the best option for night view. Did you try it without WDR at night? Or with less intensity?
I just tried it with it off and its still the same. Is there a post somewhere with ideal settings? This is next to worthless with how bad it over exposes people.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just tried it with it off and its still the same. Is there a post somewhere with ideal settings? This is next to worthless with how bad it over exposes people.
Here are some curated notes on the WDR Backlight option I collected from reading through this entire thread. I hope this helps.

WDR is needed when you have strong variations in lighting, like on a covered patio looking out to a brightly lit yard. In this example, WDR keeps the yard from being over exposed and the patio from being under exposed, most likely with a slightly washed out picture. Start off with a low WDR setting (10%), and increase as needed. If you don’t have strong variations in lighting, keep the backlight off for better color reproduction.

You can switch between day/night profiles on a schedule if you want WDR only on when you need it the most. just configure both profiles the same but one with WDR on and one with WDR off.

Mark

Trike

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just started to setup a dahua system for the exterior of my house (Thanks Andy!). So far, I've mounted two 5231 varifocal turrets hooked up to a NVR5216 w/poe switch. I started playing with the IVS features and ran into a weird issue that might be a simple fix. I drew an intrusion box around my back yard. Whenever the intrusion box gets tripped, the exposure changes on the camera. During the day, you can see the exposure changing and flickers a bit. At night, the image goes completely black and flickers a bit. It might be the iris automatically opening and closing during an intrusion alert. But i'm not sure. Anybody have any suggestions on what to look at?

Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the NVR setup to recording Motion Detection or IVS events, it creates a separate recording (file) when the camera tells the NVR that an event is happening. In the not too far past, that resulted in up to 1-2 seconds of frames being lost when you're playing back a regular recording, and then it switches to a MD/IVS event. But lately it seems like folks are saying it's just a little glitchy when that happens. Might want to check the NVR5216 threads.

Trike

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll check out the thread. It doesn't appear to be skipping frames, just the image flashing dark and white. I've the latest firmware for the NVR5216 and the march 2017 firmware for these turrets.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found the download in my folders. I just couldn't find it and I got a couple more cams from Andy. He is getting fast. I ordered them Thursday and had them on Tuesday.