Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Today I took the camera down and opened it up. I've got connected to a switch with just my local PC and the camera. They are completely offline from the internet, camera is pingable but config tool and other software doesn't identify it.
I've tried resetting it - both when plugging in the network cable and after boot but nothing helps. The camera pings, then times out, then is unreachable, then comes back.

I'm honestly not sure where to go to from here? This camera is only 3 months old and has been rock solid prior to updating the firmware.

Also, is it safe to flash either of the PAL or NTSC firmware files?
Hopefully if I fail getting help here, I can return it for repair/replacement.
;(
By resetting, does that mean you either pressed the reset button inside the camera, or you shorted the two solder points/pins if you don't have a button installed?

@nayr has said that either PAL or NTSC firmware work; it just depends upon your preference.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
By resetting, does that mean you either pressed the reset button inside the camera, or you shorted the two solder points/pins if you don't have a button installed?

@nayr has said that either PAL or NTSC firmware work; it just depends upon your preference.

Mark
Yes. I have tried the reset button inside the camera.
I remember reading many pages back that either firmware was compatible but wanted to clarify, as it has been a while and now that I'm in trouble I wanted to double check.

whs33

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with recording to my SD card (Kingston 64 Gb Class 10). Whenever the card is reaching it's maximum capacity (approximately 95%) the camera does not write anything to the card anymore. It is simply not overwriting the card as I've selected in the setup. So I end up without any recordings. I record the main stream with H.265 VBR 24/7 10 fps with events and I would like to have the footage of the last 24 hours. Are there any best practices on video recording settings to use which might fix this problem?

Update Jul 22. 2017: I've changed the video settings to max 2048 kb/s and video quality 4 and it seems to work now as it should.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've installed 3 of the 4 I've purchased so far and am very happy with them. I'm thinking about buying a few more -- has there been any newer models released yet or is
IPC-HDW5231R-Z still the latest model? Also do they come in different colors? It is a bit of a pain to paint them. Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with recording to my SD card (Kingston 64 Gb Class 10). Whenever the card is reaching it's maximum capacity (approximately 95%) the camera does not write anything to the card anymore. It is simply not overwriting the card as I've selected in the setup. So I end up without any recordings. I record the main stream with H.265 VBR 24/7 10 fps with events and I would like to have the footage of the last 24 hours. Are there any best practices on video recording settings to use which might fix this problem?
Seems the Samsung Evo cards work the best. Did you format it with the camera?

@George Polansky you can see all the models here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology they have colors as long as you choose white. :)

Reaction score
I've installed 3 of the 4 I've purchased so far and am very happy with them. I'm thinking about buying a few more -- has there been any newer models released yet or is
IPC-HDW5231R-Z still the latest model? Also do they come in different colors? It is a bit of a pain to paint them. Thanks!
Blue painters' tape and an X-Acto knife are your friends.
Also, several very light coats of spray paint.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the max bitrate is for these cameras and what rate is suggested for most scenarios? I'm trying to figure out what capacity hard drive I should buy initially. All the advice on here says bitrate is the key to determining this. I'm planning on having 4 of these starlights setup at a min of 15 fps and ideally, 2 weeks worth of stored video per camera before it gets overwritten. If I can get some idea of bit rate I can use online calculators to tell me what kind of storage capacity I'll need...

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the max bitrate is for these cameras and what rate is suggested for most scenarios? I'm trying to figure out what capacity hard drive I should buy initially. All the advice on here says bitrate is the key to determining this. I'm planning on having 4 of these starlights setup at a min of 15 fps and ideally, 2 weeks worth of stored video per camera before it gets overwritten. If I can get some idea of bit rate I can use online calculators to tell me what kind of storage capacity I'll need...
I'm pretty fine with H.265 with 4Mbit/s VBR, quality set to 6 (highest) @1080p.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are my notes from a couple of recommendations that were previously posted here, in the event this helps:

Estimate about 1.25 TB per camera for 30 days of recording, but usually, 10 days of history is enough for an incident.

There are so many factors that affect the storage: Compression codec, resolution, number of sub streams, FPS, bit rate, audio, audio codec, audio sampling rate, humidity, etc. Here is an example setup with 30 Days of history for 6 cameras:

NVR5216
(2x) 4TB WD Purple (8TB)
(6x) Cams at 1080P Main Streams in H.265
All 6 at 20 FPS
All 6 CBR at 4096
All 6 recording G117a Audio at 16K
3 recording 720P Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for 720p Sub Streams is 2048
3 recording D1 Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for D1 Sub Streams is 1024
All Subs recording G117a Audio at 8K
Humidity at 50%

Mark

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are my notes from a couple of recommendations that were previously posted here, in the event this helps:

Estimate about 1.25 TB per camera for 30 days of recording, but usually, 10 days of history is enough for an incident.

There are so many factors that affect the storage: Compression codec, resolution, number of sub streams, FPS, bit rate, audio, audio codec, audio sampling rate, humidity, etc. Here is an example setup with 30 Days of history for 6 cameras:

NVR5216
(2x) 4TB WD Purple (8TB)
(6x) Cams at 1080P Main Streams in H.265
All 6 at 20 FPS
All 6 CBR at 4096
All 6 recording G117a Audio at 16K
3 recording 720P Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for 720p Sub Streams is 2048
3 recording D1 Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for D1 Sub Streams is 1024
All Subs recording G117a Audio at 8K
Humidity at 50%

Mark
Interesting and definitely very useful. I need to do some reading on H.264 vs H.265 and sub-streams as these topics keep coming up. When I read up about CBR vs VBR it seemed like VBR was a more efficient method so what's the advantage here with using a constant rate?

Also, I'm thinking maybe I go for a 4TB HDD for now which may mean I only get 2 weeks of history rather than a month but that's OK. And then in future if I do want more history or better quality than I could add another 4TB drive to the NVR. I'm going for the Dahua NVR which I take it can have two HDDs connected to it?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting and definitely very useful. I need to do some reading on H.264 vs H.265 and sub-streams as these topics keep coming up. When I read up about CBR vs VBR it seemed like VBR was a more efficient method so what's the advantage here with using a constant rate?

Also, I'm thinking maybe I go for a 4TB HDD for now which may mean I only get 2 weeks of history rather than a month but that's OK. And then in future if I do want more history or better quality than I could add another 4TB drive to the NVR. I'm going for the Dahua NVR which I take it can have two HDDs connected to it?
@nayr also said this about the camera when recommending Micro SD cards:

These cameras use ~9+ Mbps with h.264, and ~5+ Mbps with h.265

For h.264, a 64 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 128 Gb for ~48 hours.
For h.265, a 32 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 64 Gb for ~48 hours.

Mark

rixon

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a problem with the Dahua WEB interface. I got a couple of the 5231R-Z camera's from Andy and could not get live video from Firefox. It wants to load a plug in which I did but no video feed. A can access all other options on WEB page. I thought I had a bad camera and tried Blue Iris which worked fine.

I have seen something about Dahua using the NPNPI protocol!. I think most browsers has deprecated this for various reasons. Is there some other way to access WEB page with browser? Is Dahua going to update their WEB interface ? I have not seem any mention of this issue on this thread.
Am I doing something wrong?

This is somewhat of a pain since I use my laptop to initially setup the camera's outside using the WEB interface. Also the WEB interface is a quick way to access the camera's on PC's not running Blue Iris.

Also like to commend Andy is his quick order delivery. I must say that the total process from initial contact to delivery was only 4 days, amazing! 2 of those days were just because the 12 hour difference in time for handling the initial order placement.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Type "Firefox" into the search box at the top of the page (and click the box about just searching thread titles) and you should see a few threads about what you're describing.

Six6Sicks

n3wb
Reaction score
Got two of these installed last night and I must say the quality is amazing. I got them up and running a little late in the evening so I wasn't able to position them exactly where I wanted but so far I am blown away.
Thanks @nayr for the great review on these and @EMPIRETECANDY for the ridiculously fast shipping.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a problem with the Dahua WEB interface. I got a couple of the 5231R-Z camera's from Andy and could not get live video from Firefox. It wants to load a plug in which I did but no video feed. A can access all other options on WEB page. I thought I had a bad camera and tried Blue Iris which worked fine.

I have seen something about Dahua using the NPNPI protocol!. I think most browsers has deprecated this for various reasons. Is there some other way to access WEB page with browser? Is Dahua going to update their WEB interface ? I have not seem any mention of this issue on this thread.
Am I doing something wrong?

This is somewhat of a pain since I use my laptop to initially setup the camera's outside using the WEB interface. Also the WEB interface is a quick way to access the camera's on PC's not running Blue Iris.

Also like to commend Andy is his quick order delivery. I must say that the total process from initial contact to delivery was only 4 days, amazing! 2 of those days were just because the 12 hour difference in time for handling the initial order placement.
Like @aristobrat said:

Accessing The Camera Live View Interface

Firefox, IE, and Safari: Use NPAPI plugin.

Firefox 52: How to Re-Enable NPAPI Plugin Support (i.e. Java)

Chrome: Use the NACL Web Plugin;

https://dahuawiki.com/Troubleshoot/NVR/How_To_Install_Chrome_Extension

Once installed, to open up the NacL plugin, go to a new tab and select Apps on the Bookmarks Bar.

Mark

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These days some guys use the Chinese models flash to HDW5231R-Z and HDBW5231R-Z, please be careful before buying. Cheaper but headache if dahua forbid those Chinese models using in the future(Firmware can't be updated, what we sold all can be updated anytime). I will put a cheaper and slow way link on the shop. Then some clients can save some money, but delivering time really hard to control. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE i booked some, i think still need 1.5 month to get the stock.

rixon

n3wb
Reaction score

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr also said this about the camera when recommending Micro SD cards:

These cameras use ~9+ Mbps with h.264, and ~5+ Mbps with h.265

For h.264, a 64 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 128 Gb for ~48 hours.
For h.265, a 32 Gb card is good for ~24 hours @ 5736 Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS), and 64 Gb for ~48 hours.

Mark
Yep so H.265 definitely seems the way forward and makes more sense to me now. I did a test on my LAN and I've got over 900Mbits/sec bandwidth so should be more than enough for the 4 cams but it will help as the cameras increase. I understand sub streams as well and will look into that when I get to setting up mobile access to view my feeds.

Still not sure about the CBR vs VBR point - any thoughts?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yep so H.265 definitely seems the way forward and makes more sense to me now. I did a test on my LAN and I've got over 900Mbits/sec bandwidth so should be more than enough for the 4 cams but it will help as the cameras increase. I understand sub streams as well and will look into that when I get to setting up mobile access to view my feeds.

Still not sure about the CBR vs VBR point - any thoughts?
While VBR is more efficient, the quality would be constant with CBR. VBR quality varies, depending upon the device, but @Crazykiller said it was fine on the camera, so I'm sure it is.

You are correct that there is a model of Dahua NVR that comes with space for two HDD's. Below are some personal, curated notes I collected from this thread about Dahua NVR's.

Mark

Dahua NVR Information

Dahua 4K 8/16/32 Channel (Non-PoE) Network Video Recorder (Requires you to provide PoE power sources)
Dahua Site Information Link Data Sheet
Purchase Link: NVR5216-4KS2 ($238.00) NVR5232-4KS2 ($265)

Dahua 4K 16/32 Channel (PoE) Network Video Recorder

Purchase Link: NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ($340.00) NVR5232-16P-4KS2 ($375)

Note these do not come with hard drives; you must purchase them separately. You can manage the NVR (including viewing the cameras) from your PC by connecting via the NVR's web interface with IE. Or you can download a free program from Dahua called SmartPSS, which connects to your NVR for managing and viewing camera video. If you get a NVR with POE built in, the NVR will automatically create a separate network (subnet) for your IP cameras, which is a good security practice. The computer will have to be set to the same subnet as the cameras whenever you want to connect to the cameras directly, vice connecting to the NVR interface.

Many IP cameras feature "smart event" detection (like line crossing, intrusion detection, etc.), typically only used to trigger/mark recordings on the matching brand NVR. This is due to using proprietary commands and connection methodology between the camera and NVR. Dahua features Intelligent Video Systems (IVS), which and is a triggering system that alerts either the camera that an event (intrusion, tripwire, abandoned object, missing object, etc.) has occurred and causes a signal to be sent. A Passive Infra-Red (PIR) sensor detects motion from objects that cause a thermal change, such as a warm body/object moving in front of it.

Past Dahua NVR IVS Issues Solved by 2017-04-18 NVR firmware, as noted in this thread.

There used to be issues how Dahua NVR’s handled the use of IVS and PIR sensor with the cameras, but they were fixed in an April, 2017 firmware update, as confirmed here. Below is information on the solved issue:

The NVR makes separate recordings for these clips, but, there are 1-2 seconds of skipped audio/video at the beginning of these clips. It is a problem with the way Dahua implements their event recording algorithm in all their IP cameras and NVR’s. Unless Dahua changes how they record (and start new video files when the camera sends an iframe), I don't think this can be fixed. Alternatively, use one of the work-arounds mentioned in this thread, some of which are mentioned below.

Work arounds include reducing the maximum time of the gap down to one second by changing (on the camera) the iframe interval to match the value of your FPS. By default, the camera's iFrame setting is 2x FPS, which means you can have to up a maximum of a two second gap. Another option is to turn off event video recording, keep continuous recording, and store a jpeg snapshot on event triggers (ivs, motion, etc.). This provides a time line of events you can look at when scrolling through the video recording.

When recording continuously, you can also filter by event duration: Go to Setup -> Information -> Log, then search for event only, and you will see a list of all the events by time and date. With begin and end time, I can find events that have a longer time-frame that may be worth checking, as the shorter time-frame events are mostly false triggers. This is one method I used to check events on cameras that I don't wanted to be alerted by unless I suspect some suspicious activity occurred.

Last edited:

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While VBR is more efficient, the quality would be constant with CBR. VBR quality varies, depending upon the device, but @Crazykiller said it was fine on the camera, so I'm sure it is.

You are correct that there is a model of Dahua NVR that comes with space for two HDD's. Below are some personal, curated notes I collected from this thread about Dahua NVR's.

Mark

Dahua NVR Information

Dahua 4K 8/16/32 Channel (Non-PoE) Network Video Recorder (Requires you to provide PoE power sources)
Purchase Link: NVR5216-4KS2 ($238.00) NVR5232-4KS2 ($265)

Dahua 4K 16/32 Channel (PoE) Network Video Recorder

Purchase Link: NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ($340.00) NVR5232-16P-4KS2 ($375)

If you get a NVR with POE built in, the NVR will create a separate network for your IP cameras. This can make it tricky to connect directly from your PC directly to the camera. You probably won't have a need to do that often once they're setup, but you'll probably need to do it frequently while you're getting things configured and tweaked properly.

Note these do not come with hard drives; you must purchase them separately. You can manage the NVR (including viewing the cameras) from your PC by connecting via the NVR's web interface with IE. Or you can download a free program from Dahua called SmartPSS, which connects to your NVR for managing and viewing camera video.

Dahua NVR IVS Issues

Many IP cameras feature "smart event" detection, like line crossing, intrusion detection, etc, but for the most part, these camera features can only be used to trigger/mark recordings on the camera’s matching brand NVR. This is due to using proprietary commands and connection methodology between the camer and NVR. Dahua features Intelligent Video Systems (IVS), which and is a triggering system that alerts either the camera that an event (intrusion, tripwire, abandoned object, missing object, etc.) has occurred and causes a signal to be sent. A Passive Infra-Red (PIR) sensor detects motion from objects that cause a thermal change, such as a warm body/object moving in front of it.

If you plan on using IVS or the PIR sensor with your cameras, there are issues how the Dahua handles this. The NVR makes separate recordings for these clips (which isn't a bad thing), but, there are 1-2 seconds of skipped audio/video at the beginning of these clips. It is a problem with the way Dahua implements their event recording algorithm in all their IP cameras and NVR’s. Unless Dahua changes how they record (and start new video files when the camera sends an iframe), I don't think this can be fixed. Alternatively, use one of the work-arounds mentioned in this thread, some of which are mentioned below.

Work arounds include reducing the maximum time of the gap down to one second by changing (on the camera) the iframe interval to match the value of your FPS. By default, the camera's iFrame setting is 2x FPS, which means you can have to up a maximum of a two second gap. Another option is to turn off event video recording, keep continuous recording, and store a jpeg snapshot on event triggers (ivs, motion, etc.). This provides a time line of events you can look at when scrolling through the video recording.

When recording continuously, you can also filter by event duration: Go to Setup -> Information -> Log, then search for event only, and you will see a list of all the events by time and date. With begin and end time, I can find events that have a longer time-frame that may be worth checking, as the shorter time-frame events are mostly false triggers. This is one method I used to check events on cameras that I don't wanted to be alerted by unless I suspect some suspicious activity occurred.

Although Dahua IVS events will not work with Blue Iris or any other NVR that isn't made by Dahua, Blue Iris supports its own advanced motion detection, which is pretty good.
Thanks @giomania, that is really helpful info all in one place! Some of the stuff like whether to buy NVR with built in POE or not and NVRs not including hard drives I found recently from trawling through here but the other stuff is really useful to know. IVS sounds great in theory and I had earmarked it as something to look more closely at with respect to the Dahua cameras and NVRs and I'm not entirely surprised it has some issues. I'll be keeping your notes handy so that when I get to the stage of setting it all up, I can revisit but to be honest, 1-2 seconds of skipped video is not too bad and I suppose any trip wire line or zone could be put an additional 1-2 seconds away to provision for the issue...probably wouldn't work in all cases but something to try out maybe.