Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what pin areas needs to be jumped on this camera to reset the password back to factory. Just opened this one up and it is not taking the default password "admin"

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what pin areas needs to be jumped on this camera to reset the password back to factory. Just opened this one up and it is not taking the default password "admin"
Should be a reset button. See post 4437 in this thread.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Should be a reset button. See post 4437 in this thread.
Thanks! I thought that was a reset but I wasn't 100%. Didn't want to go pushing on a resistor or led and have it break loose lol

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered my first IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy at Empire. I think I got the last one since his site shows out of stock now. I'm going to play with this one on the front of the house for awhile and see how it does. It will be replacing my HikVision 2CD2032-I 3MP camera. It's been reliable for the last year and looks good in daylight but it's low light performance has been terrible. I'll move it to another location that's not so mission critical.
Many thanks to Nayr for his detailed review!

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to say I really love these starlight light cameras. Bullet up top and turret down below. Playing with the settings. I just might leave this one color. Both taken at the same time. Now I just need to get the motion settings down and ill be good to go. Besides still needing one more camera! DW.20170807_204017.jpg dw2.20170807_203954.jpg

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, I was messing around with this cameras settings trying to change "normal" to auto "day" to color & "night" to B&W and then save as normal but not only do the settings under each profile ("normal" "day" & "night") not stay, it seems to also keep reverting me back to day profile.

Is anyone else having this issue?

bobsmith

n3wb
Reaction score
Very happy with the image quality of the hdw5231. Night footage is amazing. The IR lights even boosted a non starlight camera image! Fitted a 128GB SD card. I applied a little silicone lubricant on the case seal before closing it up. It's going to be in a sheltered location anyway. The IR/mic wires are not very long, so you have to take when opening it to prevent damage.

The setup screen says it can go up to 50fps. Is that correct? I'm wondering if it could be used on a vehicle - mounted somewhere hidden at the front of the car as a forward facing camera. If something happens I can hook it up to the network and grab the image file. I've not quite figured out yet how to download video from this with the web interface....Where does it download the file to?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I was messing around with this cameras settings trying to change "normal" to auto "day" to color & "night" to B&W and then save as normal but not only do the settings under each profile ("normal" "day" & "night") not stay, it seems to also keep reverting me back to day profile.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Yeah it's an issue. I have a brief summary in my research notes I can post when I'm at a real computer.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah it's an issue. I have a brief summary in my research notes I can post when I'm at a real computer.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please do! I wish we had a Camera firmware wiki that the members could add to as new firmwares come out with new issues and as old issues are solved. This would be a great way to minimize posts about the same issues.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is what I have "collected" on profiles, but @Crazykiller said it very succinctly in the thread you posted on this subject:

Profile Settings Options

Normal, Day, Night Profiles for Dahua Cameras

Dahua’s Profile Management section implementation does not allow switching profiles (Day, Night, Normal) by using the integrated light sensor. The sensor only allows switching between Color and Black & White mode options in Camera > Conditions > Conditions > Day & Night. It is only possible to switch the profiles by schedule or external trigger, despite the descriptions:

Normal: Applies the day and night settings automatically (using the integrated light sensor).

Full time: Lets you choose day or night time.

Schedule: Allows setting day and night by time.

You can see WDR option only if your camera supports WDR function.

If you want to customize and use the Day and Night profiles set up in the Camera, Conditions section, use an external trigger via HTTP API commands with an automation hub to ensure the camera switches profiles when desired. This does not work for every situation (like a garage), however. @nayr posted how to do it: Switch Dahua Day/Night Profile via IPC HTTP API

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This model right now have to wait stock again, just use up all stock, and new stock comes around 18th.Aug. So new stock in i think have to be 12days later.

Reaction score
This model right now have to wait stock again, just use up all stock, and new stock comes around 18th.Aug. So new stock in i think have to be 12days later.
Does the new stock have the black face or old look? Thanks - waiting for payday to tinker with 1

Reaction score
Actually , Right now only 2MP is Starlight with Starvis Sensor in 4000 Series and upword, 4 MP is not Starlight sensor so difference is always here

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm doing some homework to replace my Logitech cameras. This one (when it's back in stock) seems to have phenomenal reviews for use with BI. I'm wondering though if there is some way of mounting it to a vertically flat surface (ie the side of a house). I don't have any kind of underhang I can mount it from on my home. I directly abut the sidewalk in a neighborhood where houses are packed closely together, so also need to keep things subtle. Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm doing some homework to replace my Logitech cameras. This one (when it's back in stock) seems to have phenomenal reviews for use with BI. I'm wondering though if there is some way of mounting it to a vertically flat surface (ie the side of a house). I don't have any kind of underhang I can mount it from on my home. I directly abut the sidewalk in a neighborhood where houses are packed closely together, so also need to keep things subtle. Thanks!
as with any other turret it can be mounted to a wall, for added flexibility there is a wall mount, however, it is not needed...there is also a junction box that is used if you dont want to drill a large hole for the dongle in your wall...

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Wall mounts on each side and the junction box underneath the one on the top.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a trim ring without the wiring cutout? If the wiring is behind the cam mount it seems there will be a hole at the mount point (soffit or junction box), yes?

Thanks,

Robert

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess what I was thinking is mounting it flat against the wall. Once you add that mount it's not subtle. In my case it would be an obvious camera hanging over a public sidewalk which is just looking for trouble. If I could mount it flat against the side of the house, it would be a lot less obvious and I might be able to get away with that especially since the house is white too.

Wall mounts on each side and the junction box underneath the one on the top.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess what I was thinking is mounting it flat against the wall. Once you add that mount it's not subtle. In my case it would be an obvious camera hanging over a public sidewalk which is just looking for trouble. If I could mount it flat against the side of the house, it would be a lot less obvious and I might be able to get away with that especially since the house is white too.
Mine are all mounted flat against vertical pieces of soffit. As long as you can push all of the excess wire into the wall, I don’ think you’ll have any problems.

AECFD409-F308-470F-A539-9C4D54C34B3F.jpeg