Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why are you doing this? Are you worried about water or something?
It is mounted upside down in an eave, so I was just worried about bees and wasps possibly making nests in there.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is mounted upside down in an eave, so I was just worried about bees and wasps possibly making nests in there.

Mark

Makes sense, I should probably do the same thing. Thanks

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can be quite a lot of trial and error setting these up, interested to see how you get on, hopefully some improvements can be made.
Not much luck unfortunately, even when the flood light comes on, face is just too grainy and blurred at 1/500 shutter speed. Overall scene is not too dark, but detail is difficult to spot on a face.

The camera at present is under the eaves and positioned 100% horizontal as the entry to the drive way is upward slope as you move away from the camera. I might try tilting the camera down a bit more so the IR can shine where it matters most? Will cut out some of the street beyond the drive but that's not really important to me...

The daytime settings now at 1/1000 is giving great results!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not much luck unfortunately, even when the flood light comes on, face is just too grainy and blurred at 1/500 shutter speed. Overall scene is not too dark, but detail is difficult to spot on a face.

The camera at present is under the eaves and positioned 100% horizontal as the entry to the drive way is upward slope as you move away from the camera. I might try tilting the camera down a bit more so the IR can shine where it matters most? Will cut out some of the street beyond the drive but that's not really important to me...

There were alot of problems with ghosting and motion blur that were mitigated by the 2017-03-06 firmware. Not sure which version you have installed.

Also, I also have mine inverted under an eave, with the IR lights on top, and it is pointed down around a 30-degree angle. So, when you look at the camera from the ground, it looks like a Mickey Mouse silhouette, with the ears on top. I have read suggestions in this thread to keep the IR lights away from such horizontal surfaces when mounted on an eave. However, I am also using the PFA137 junction box, so those IR lights are about 1.5" away from the eave surface. Something to consider if you think that may be an issue affecting your situation.

Mark

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
someone tried the new firmware DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720? Any change log available?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since nobody replied, I am guessing there are not many adventurous types, and everyone is sticking with the "official" 2017-03-06 Dahua firmware posted by @nayr.

Mark

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
I hoped for improvements on motion blur in the night. Which firmware do you use for best results in the night (less blur). Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on 2017-03-06, but haven't really examined night-time footage or finished completely tweaking my settings.

As I posted above, there were alot of problems with ghosting and motion blur that supposedly were mitigated by the 2017-03-06 firmware.

Note I am referring to the firmware posted by @nayr in the first post of this thread.

Mark

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
someone tried the new firmware DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720? Any change log available?
I currently run 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06 and cannot find the .14 version you listed above on the Dahua site, I might be missing something here?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Good to hear the 1/1000 worked out for daytime use, I am also still struggling with night, seems to me if you run a low shutter speed and have a flood light you should be in reasonable shape but then with just IR illumination the blur will return and shutter needs to be increased, this then results in motion blur and grainy dark image. At closer range this should be less of an issue in theory, currently I am testing at about 15-20 feet distance. Camera is running 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06 at the moment. From what I have seen so far this camera has limitations at night unless all objects in the image are static, keen to try the IPC-HFW8232E-Z with the hope this should produce some improvements at night, better still the box version with a f1.2 lens fitted.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone posted a bunch of Dahua firmware for many Dahua products on an ftp site, as I recall.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Someone posted a bunch of Dahua firmware for many Dahua products on an ftp site, as I recall.

OK, didn't realise that, also just occurred to me the camera profiles could be playing a part in this problem, i.e. the camera is staying in night or day or normal profile unless scheduled to switch between night and day, appears this might need to be addressed by Dahua to coincide with sunrise/sunset times depending on location. Manually adjusting the night/day schedule switch times is far from ideal, I know some have used scripts to change this but really shouldn't be required, when the IR is on the camera should use night profile and when IR is off daytime profile, that is my take anyway.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems too simple- if the camera finds things dark enough to use IR then it's night. Real no brainer if you ask me.
true but in my case.. there is enough light that the camera will never go into "night" mode unless i set the schedule and force it into b/w

Reaction score
Well it really depends on which box you get and how you install it. Remember you need a place to store the wires, AND you will potentially need to access the wires to replace the camera / add or change the micro-SD card.. or what not. The PFA121 junction box is very nice to help keep water out - nicer than the PFA137. Use silicone caulking when mounting the box on the wall and silicone stretch tape for the connection and you've got a nicer setup. [ Edit - update - PFA121 for Dahua square bullets, PFA137 for turrets - or PFB203W for wall mount box ]
I ordered two of the PFA121 junction boxes and two IPC-HDW5231RP-Z cameras from Andy. The holes on the camera mount don't match up with the holes on the junction box. I should have double checked on the camera accessories. The only one it shows is a PFA137. I really wished the PFA121 worked because it looks like it has holes to support more than one camera. I don't want to put holes in my house every time I change a camera out, my aluminum siding will resemble swiss cheese in no time. Are there any junction boxes that are more universal?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered two of the PFA121 junction boxes and two IPC-HDW5231RP-Z cameras from Andy. The holes on the camera mount don't match up with the holes on the junction box. I should have double checked on the camera accessories. The only one it shows is a PFA137. I really wished the PFA121 worked because it looks like it has holes to support more than one camera. I don't want to put holes in my house every time I change a camera out, my aluminum siding will resemble swiss cheese in no time. Are there any junction boxes that are more universal?
I really like the PFA121 case, do note that the PFA121 is for the "Dahua square bullets" - example: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw5231e-z5-11591.html

iirc Nayr posted a pdf manual which included the various accessories each model can use.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where do you see this available for download?
The two available resources I know of are:
Index of /DAHUA/
Firmware - Dahua Technology

However neither of these seem to have this version. Would love to see where you are finding this.
Here the Link: Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/04IPC/05-Eco-savvy 3.0/DH
I found it in another Post from Dennis.
I have flashed my cams with R14 version on my own risk ;-) a few days ago.
Only the Pal version is available on this ftp server.
What I noticed is, in the 14 version, I mean the cams have become faster when accessing the WebGui. The Setup tab has changed to Settings in the menu.
And under System in the menu on the left is a New entry Safety, where you can set up the RTSP Authentication and SSH (see screenshot).
Furthermore, there is now a new Button Factory Default on the Default page. (see screenshot)

The picture btw video has become brighter in the night in Default Setting. Problems with Ghosting or Motion Blur I have not since I support
both cams with external IR Illumintor.
I have not tested it with the built in IR of the camera after the upgrade..
All in all, I am satisfied with this version. but beware ! No downgrade is possible.
Use it at your own risk. i think this firmware versions are Beta Versions.
As soon as I have more time I will still post pictures and a video of the night recording.

edit: here is a daytime Video from our Postman today ;-) . IVS Intrusion.
For privacy reasons I have made the face unrecognizable. It can be seen on the original flawlessly.
The Settings see screenshot
sorry for the bad englisch ;-)

safety.JPG reset.JPGsettings.JPGsettings2.JPG

Last edited:

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good to hear the 1/1000 worked out for daytime use, I am also still struggling with night, seems to me if you run a low shutter speed and have a flood light you should be in reasonable shape but then with just IR illumination the blur will return and shutter needs to be increased, this then results in motion blur and grainy dark image. At closer range this should be less of an issue in theory, currently I am testing at about 15-20 feet distance. Camera is running 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06 at the moment. From what I have seen so far this camera has limitations at night unless all objects in the image are static, keen to try the IPC-HFW8232E-Z with the hope this should produce some improvements at night, better still the box version with a f1.2 lens fitted.
Do you think a good quality external IR like the GJD LT Clarius range will make a 'significant' reduction of motion blur at night?