Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Paul M

n3wb
Reaction score
Tinycampro is a great overall app. It's responsiveness will depend on the speed of your phone, and the speed of your internet connection when away from home. But this pertains to any viewing app.

I think possibly you are confusing two different types of VPN.

Please study this for more info: VPN Primer for Noobs
Yeah, I'd say I'm confused.

Either way, I reached out to STRONGVPN, who helped me set up DDWRT on my router to ensure I could use Dallas, Texas locations.

Here is a couple excerpts from what he said"
-------------------------------
hardware isnt the issue the firmware is the issue
needs to be sabai firmware to get working port forwarding

yes dd-wrt is broken for inbound port forwarding
only sabai routers will work for that

after checking the package again seems you have the older package which still offers a static IP
however dd-wrt will not work for this application
the only routers with working port forwarding is the sabai preloaded models
StrongVPN compatible/preloaded routers are listed here:
https://strongvpn.cc/vpn-routers-new.html
(Check the tab "DIY routers" for supported Buffalo/Linksys models, tabs for Linksys/Buffalo are listed right under the DIY router tab.)
------------------------------

Man im confused. I still want to keep DDWRT so I can access the DALLAS playstation vue app, but I want to use the VPN tunnel I think so I have a secure connection into my cameras.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say I'm confused.

Either way, I reached out to STRONGVPN, who helped me set up DDWRT on my router to ensure I could use Dallas, Texas locations.

Here is a couple excerpts from what he said"
-------------------------------
hardware isnt the issue the firmware is the issue
needs to be sabai firmware to get working port forwarding

yes dd-wrt is broken for inbound port forwarding
only sabai routers will work for that

after checking the package again seems you have the older package which still offers a static IP
however dd-wrt will not work for this application
the only routers with working port forwarding is the sabai preloaded models
StrongVPN compatible/preloaded routers are listed here:
https://strongvpn.cc/vpn-routers-new.html
(Check the tab "DIY routers" for supported Buffalo/Linksys models, tabs for Linksys/Buffalo are listed right under the DIY router tab.)
------------------------------

Man im confused. I still want to keep DDWRT so I can access the DALLAS playstation vue app, but I want to use the VPN tunnel I think so I have a secure connection into my cameras.

If you are accessing Dallas Playstation Vue outside of its' network then I would think that you already have some type of VPN set up on the DDWRT and you should be able to access the camera using the same VPN by entering the camera private ip addressing in the app.

Paul M

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are accessing Dallas Playstation Vue outside of its' network then I would think that you already have some type of VPN set up on the DDWRT and you should be able to access the camera using the same VPN by entering the camera private ip addressing in the app.
Thanks. I'll chat wit StrongVPN after work tonight to enquire. They did say it was static so makes sense.

Migel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not used the VPN on my phone, ....
You need to have your phone reach through the internet and ISP router and touch your camera for TinyCam to work. You can do that via either port-forwarding (not recommended) or a VPN gateway running on your network.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the first few pages of my “Cliff Notes” post, for some sage advice on security. You don’t want your Dahua cameras or NVR, if you are going to get one, accessing the internet.

For the Micro SD cards, they are not required, but can be used for local recording, If no NVR is in the picture and you want to record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
microSD cards have many uses, and I use them because:

- They provide a backup in case something goes wrong with BI or your NVR. You still have recording taking place in the camera. A big plus if someone does break in and steals or trashes your other equipment.
- If using an NVR (dahua), should something happen to interrupt network connectivity between camera and NVR, once connectivity is restored they will automatically upload the missing recorded video to the NVR.
- If a power failure occurs, and only the cams are on a UPS, they still function and record for however long the UPS stays up. Obviously the ideal scenario is to have the cameras, switch(s) and NVR all on UPS's.

Just some ideas...

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
microSD cards have many uses, and I use them because:

- They provide a backup in case something goes wrong with BI or your NVR. You still have recording taking place in the camera. A big plus if someone does break in and steals or trashes your other equipment.
- If using an NVR (dahua), should something happen to interrupt network connectivity between camera and NVR, once connectivity is restored they will automatically upload the missing recorded video to the NVR.
- If a power failure occurs, and only the cams are on a UPS, they still function and record for however long the UPS stays up. Obviously the ideal scenario is to have the cameras, switch(s) and NVR all on UPS's.

Just some ideas...
Great info...

how do you pull the info off of the SD card to view clips? Can you just log into the camera at 192.168 XX or do you have to use the Dahua DSS software on the computer?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll chat wit StrongVPN after work tonight to enquire. They did say it was static so makes sense.
Your strong vpn account will never allow you to view the cameras on your home network. You need a vpn server on your network that you connect to in order to do that. It's fairly easy, I run a vpn server at my house on my qnap Nas and one at my parents house on a raspberry pi. Both of these are free (free to set up and no monthly dues once you buy the hardware) and what they allow me to do is connect to my home network OR my parents network. Once I connect, it's basically as if I'm sitting on my couch or my parents couch and connected to their WiFi.

As far as I know, you could keep your Strong VPN account on the router that keeps any outgoing data from your house secure, and also set up your own VPN server at home that allows you to connect your phone to your home network and see your cameras.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you find the TinyCam app? Does the app load quickly, and then the streams? That's a big one for the wifey.

Thanks again.
Find it in the play store. The app loads fairly quickly, but the streams do not load for me as fast as they do on my gDMSS app (I only have a 1Mbps upload speed at home which is probably why). The key when away from home is to set tinycam to load the sub streams (unless you have a very fast upload speed at home) tinycam is still fairly fast and it is my default viewing app. I really only use the gDMSS app for viewing recorded video and ivs alerts...when that feature is working.

Also, some people prefer to only connect to their home vpn server whenever they want to check their cameras. I prefer to stay connected 100% of the time when I'm away from home. That way it's one tap for me on my tinycam home screen icon and my camera feeds are right there. Others that aren't constantly connected to their VPN have the added step of making that connection before they can view their feeds.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, but don't buy it from other seller. It may not be an international version. If the price is the problem, you can ask Andy to ship it, with the slow mail. That is what I did, with the last one(ZE version) and it took a month, to arrive in Cali.

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your strong vpn account will never allow you to view the cameras on your home network. You need a vpn server on your network that you connect to in order to do that. It's fairly easy, I run a vpn server at my house on my qnap Nas and one at my parents house on a raspberry pi. Both of these are free (free to set up and no monthly dues once you buy the hardware) and what they allow me to do is connect to my home network OR my parents network. Once I connect, it's basically as if I'm sitting on my couch or my parents couch and connected to their WiFi.

As far as I know, you could keep your Strong VPN account on the router that keeps any outgoing data from your house secure, and also set up your own VPN server at home that allows you to connect your phone to your home network and see your cameras.
Can't your router host or serve your VPN?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Do you mind check if your ptz zoom and autofocus is working within SS. Click PTZ toolbar, do not enable digital zoom.

so far these are what I gathered. Please leave a feedback.

My Camera
Firmware: V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720
Working in SS: NO (will disconnect)
PTZ ZOOM in SS: NOT WORKING

johnnyletrois
Firmware: 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06
Working in SS: YES
PTZ ZOOM in SS: NOT WORKING

qwert106
Firmware: 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06
Working in SS: YES
PTZ ZOOM in SS: ?????

PTZ Zoom doesn't work in SS with my 5231

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZ Zoom doesn't work in SS with my 5231
What is SS?
This cam is not a PTZ, it's a varifocal with the ability to remotely adjust field of view at time of install, then leave it alone.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
SS is probably surveillance station. And looney is right, once you find the field of view that will be work for you, set it and forget it. This is not a ptz camera.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but don't buy it from other seller. It may not be an international version. If the price is the problem, you can ask Andy to ship it, with the slow mail. That is what I did, with the last one(ZE version) and it took a month, to arrive in Cali.
How much did you save?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk