Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua's product page says that I can flip the camera 90 degrees (for corridor mode), but I only have 0 and 180 degrees in the options. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this smart codec. What I'm seeing here is, that only creates issues.
smart codec further reduces compresses and reduces bitrate but it is proprietary to dahua and their recorders that support it...using it requires more cpu power by the camera, therefore certain cpu intensive tasks like ivs and 90 degree flip are disabled...using it with third party vms may look like its working but the video will likely have corruption...

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought x3 of these cameras (Z version) from Andy. They should arrive Monday and I paid $165 each. Tibimakai, you bought the ZE from Andy and paid $145 each? Grumble grumble!

[Edit: Ignore the rest of this post. I left it for context, but I was wrong.]

Also I don't mind saying that my expectations were a little dashed when I learned you can't zoom remotely.

It's been said that you set the field of view, then define the viewing angle and turn the setscrew. The thing is, the field of view and the angle at which you aim the camera are somewhat interdependent.

So I WAS planning to set the field of view from my phone while standing on the ladder, at the time of adjusting and tightening the setscrew. Since I now know this cannot be done, it seems it would be more convenient than a motor if I could zoom "from the ladder", either mechanically, or with a knob or pair of switches to control the motor. The benefit of the motorized zoom now seems nil. (Although the benefit of a variable zoom is understood.)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought x3 of these cameras (Z version) from Andy. They should arrive Monday and I paid $165 each. Tibimakai, you bought the ZE from Andy and paid $145 each? Grumble grumble!

Also I don't mind saying that my expectations were a little dashed when I learned you can't zoom remotely.

It's been said that you set the field of view, THEN define the viewing angle and turn the setscrew. The thing is, the field of view and the angle at which you aim the camera are somewhat interdependent.

So I WAS planning to set the field of view from my phone while standing on the ladder, at the time of adjusting and tightening the setscrew. Since I now know this cannot be done, it seems it would be MORE convenient than a motor if I could zoom "from the ladder", either mechanically, or with a knob or pair of switches to control the motor. The benefit of the motorized zoom now seems nil. (Although the benefit of a variable zoom is understood.)
Not sure where you got your info but that is incorrect...you can zoom remotely (i dont use the dahua mobile app but you can do it via browser no problem)...the motorized varifocal is a huge benefit even if you couldnt do it remotely, as if you have every used a manual VF camera it can be a huge pain to get it just right...and if you want a minor adjustment its another huge hassle

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using an Asus Wi-Fi router set to be a media bridge(Merlin firmware) and I hook it up to the switch. The camera, is hooked up to the switch. This way, my camera is wireless and I can access it with my laptop, while I'm adjusting them. There is a video on Youtube, where somebody is doing it the same way.

Last edited:

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure where you got your info but that is incorrect...you can zoom remotely (i dont use the dahua mobile app but you can do it via browser no problem)..
That's good to know, thanks for clarifying. Does that mean it be done from a browser on a phone if my phone is connected to the local WiFi? (For "laddertop adjustment" that is.)

I have learned you can't do it from BI, or did I misunderstand that too?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks for clarifying. Does that mean it be done from a browser on a phone if my phone is connected to the local WiFi? (For "laddertop adjustment" that is.)

you can do it from BI...
I have never tried from a phone browser..there is only one way to find out..or use a laptop...someone who uses the dahua app can tell you if the app allows it...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Tinycammonitor works fine for doing this.
The Android gDMSS app works with the varifocal as well, although the app itself sucks.
A browser on a phone won't, because it won't accept the plugin that is required.
The varifocal feature works fine in BI with this cam.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With 182 pages to read through, I'll admit, I'm being lazy. Is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z still the king when it comes to turret starlight performance at this price? The original post (and link) has it at Andy's for $170, but I see references to the ZE model being less. Any pointers on finding the best bang for the buck on this camera (or one that is as good or better for low-light)?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With 182 pages to read through, I'll admit, I'm being lazy. Is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z still the king when it comes to turret starlight performance at this price? The original post (and link) has it at Andy's for $170, but I see references to the ZE model being less. Any pointers on finding the best bang for the buck on this camera (or one that is as good or better for low-light)?
This or the ZE model is still king.

lovedgor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have purchased 8 of these from Andy, phasing out the old Longsee and Hikvisions. This is by FAR superior to anything that I had.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very glad to hear it. I was going to place an order for two with Andy, but really don't need the varifocal on both locations. He stated that the IPC-HDW4231em would have comparable quality for a lower price (about $50 less). But after skimming this thread a bit, it looks like the optics in the Z and ZE are considerably better. So, I ordered one of each. If the ZE is noticeably better than the EM, I'll order more of those when it comes time to get more.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, you could get it shipped with epacket( ~ 4 weeks), for a price between the two prices(4231em - 5231Z).