Dahua T5442TM-AS quick review

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks. I bought a set of T5442TM-ASs from Andy, so here is a quick review of this model.
This camera is identical to T5442TM-AS-LED, which I reviewed here some time ago. The only difference is that this one owns infrared LEDs instead of white light LEDs, and has an ICR (removable IR filter). The IR LEDs are hidden behind front, dark plastic as opposed to white LEDs, which are easily visible.

photo.jpg

Apart from LEDs, the specs are identical. The white LED model is placed in “full color” section, which would suggest it should have better night time capability, and no need for IR illumination.

After loggin to a Web Interface, the first thing that draw my attention, was that this cam had clearly better image quality than my white-LED model. Sharpness value no longer affects noise level, and there is less glittering in color during nighttime. It turned out, Dahua has fixed these issues in newer firmware. My white LED model had firmware from April 2019, while these new IR cams had firmware from June 2019. After installation of this firmware provided by Andy, the image from white LED model become identical to IR model, and most image issues were gone. Of course there is no mention about any fixes of image issues in firmware description, but this shouldn’t be a surprise. It’s very common for software developers to omit such things in update descriptions.

DAY.gif

There is another firmware updatefor this model from September 2019. It mainly addresses Smart IR issue. Unfortunately it also introduces some error about algorithm version.

FIRMWARE-UPDATE.jpg

The Smart IR function is rather useless for IP cams (it works well only in analog models). I described the topic here.

After checking all settings I can tell you, the T5442TM-AS is no different from white LED model. It has identical gain scale from ISO50 to roughly ISO40000. Noise reduction works the same. The lens brightness is identical. I got white LED model with 2.8mm lens, while all IR models with 3.6mm lenses. So below animations are a direct comparison between 2.8mm and 3.6mm.

The only visible difference is when you turn on IR/BW mode. In case of white LED model there is no ICR and no IR LEDs. The T5442TM-AS has both. After switching to this mode, the white-LED model drops its sensitivity by about 1EV while IR model rises by 1EV. While in case of white-LED model I have no clue why it happens so, the IR model gets brighter because IR filter is removed, there is additional supply of IR light, so it gets brighter. I haven’t noticed any image softness after rising IR filter in IR model.

BW1.gif
BW3.gif
BW2.gif

In summary I don’t see any reason to choose LED model over IR one. The T5442TM-AS is superior in terms of IR with almost 2EV better night vision. If you’re a fan of white LEDs, remember that these have only ON and OFF option and can’t be triggered by motion detection. For such functionality you'll have to choose Active Deterrence models.

If I was asked today, which model from all Dahua’s cameras I’d choose, this would certainly be T5442TM-AS. Every time I log to my HDW4231EM-AS, I see huge difference in image quality. I’m pretty sure the HDW5231R-ZE would fall behind T5442TM-AS if directly compared.

Last edited:

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just FYI, in addition to potentially improving the Auto IR function, the newer firmware also provides the "Exposure Comp" slider that is missing in the older firmware:

ExposureComp.PNG

@EMPIRETECANDY can get the error regarding the expired algorithm issue fixed for you. It takes a few days as there's files to be sent back and forth between you, Andy, and Dahua.

Here are the links (on the Dahua International site) for these cameras, sold by @EMPIRETECANDY under the OEM designation "T5442TM-AS":

IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED - https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/33367
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS - https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/33357

hebronep

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent review. Greatly helps me to choose T5442TM-AS for most of the cameras for my new home video surveillance.

Does the camera eyeball still moves despite the screw being tighten as reported by Arjun and others ?

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bigredfish @DavidR1 I've edited the post. I messed up with webpage settings. My browser forced me to European version of the page, which I didn't notice. For over a month I thought they were deleted. I didn't see also any new products :banghead:

@DavidR1 Thank you for additional info. Unfortunately in my case the exposure compensation didn't show up :( If I could download this latest firmware once again, I could install it on another camera and see if I messed something. The link is expired. Maybe someone can attach the file directly here. The exposure compensation is the only feature that I missed so much. I so happy it is finally implemented. It makes a big difference.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@bigredfish @DavidR1 I've edited the post. I messed up with webpage settings. My browser forced me to European version of the page, which I didn't notice. For over a month I thought they were deleted. I didn't see also any new products :banghead:

@DavidR1 Thank you for additional info. Unfortunately in my case the exposure compensation didn't show up :( If I could download this latest firmware once again, I could install it on another camera and see if I messed something. The link is expired. Maybe someone can attach the file directly here. The exposure compensation is the only feature that I missed so much. I so happy it is finally implemented. It makes a big difference.
Just FYI, in addition to potentially improving the Auto IR function, the newer firmware also provides the "Exposure Comp" slider that is missing in the older firmware:

View attachment 50541

@EMPIRETECANDY can get the error regarding the expired algorithm issue fixed for you. It takes a few days as there's files to be sent back and forth between you, Andy, and Dahua.

Here are the links (on the Dahua International site) for these cameras, sold by @EMPIRETECANDY under the OEM designation "T5442TM-AS":

IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED - https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/33367
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS - https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/33357
Thanks for wopi's fast review, it's great. Yes, this can fix up the issue easily now, just send me a file as the guide show. There has some guy's cams already fixed up the triangle issue.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for wopi's fast review, it's great. Yes, this can fix up the issue easily now, just send me a file as the guide show. There has some guy's cams already fixed up the triangle issue.
He's in need of the firmware file again; the link from the thread with it has expired a long time ago and it can no longer be downloaded that way. I know we were waiting on official firmware (any status update on that?) but in the mean time, can you post the firmware again?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
He's in need of the firmware file again; the link from the thread with it has expired a long time ago and it can no longer be downloaded that way. I know we were waiting on official firmware (any status update on that?) but in the mean time, can you post the firmware again?
OK, i will post on it soon, have many firmwares waiting to upload, bit busy these days.

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got my IPC-T5442TM-AS IR 6mm lens from Andy, and must say that Im very impressed so far (have not tried in daytime yet). I have a 5231R-Z on full zoom installed today, so here is the comparison. I will move the new camera closer to the windows that can be opened.

The area is "pitch black", besides the light you can see from the porch.

Capture2.PNG

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@keneil01 which camera is which above?? The performance of the camera on the right is seriously impressive!

AnsonQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got my IPC-T5442TM-AS IR 6mm lens from Andy, and must say that Im very impressed so far (have not tried in daytime yet). I have a 5231R-Z on full zoom installed today, so here is the comparison. I will move the new camera closer to the windows that can be opened.

The area is "pitch black", besides the light you can see from the porch.

View attachment 51061
Sorry for my silly question as a newbie, why do you choose 6mm lens over 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens? Please correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is the 2.8mm should have wider view than 3.6mm or 6mm, then what is the benefit to choose 6mm? Thank you!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wider view=less detail at a given distance.

Many make the mistake of using wide view where a more zoomed in lens would provide greater detail, all depends on the location and what you're trying to accomplish.

Take Dahua's DORI distance chart for the 5442 series fixed lens bullet as an example:

LensDetect ObserveRecognize Identify
2.8mm 58m(190ft) 23m(75ft) 12m(39ft) 6m(20ft)
3.6mm 72m(236ft) 29m(95ft) 14m(46ft) 7m(23ft)
6mm 113m(371ft) 45m(148ft) 23m(75ft) 11m(36ft)

AnsonQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Wider view=less detail at a given distance.

Many make the mistake of using wide view where a more zoomed in lens would provide greater detail, all depends on the location and what you're trying to accomplish.

Take Dahua's DORI distance chart for the 5442 series fixed lens bullet as an example:

LensDetect ObserveRecognize Identify
2.8mm58m(190ft)23m(75ft)12m(39ft) 6m(20ft)
3.6mm72m(236ft)29m(95ft)14m(46ft)7m(23ft)
6mm113m(371ft)45m(148ft)23m(75ft) 11m(36ft)
Thank you for the explanation, that makes more sense to me;)

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for my silly question as a newbie, why do you choose 6mm lens over 2.8mm or 3.6mm lens? Please correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is the 2.8mm should have wider view than 3.6mm or 6mm, then what is the benefit to choose 6mm? Thank you!
See this post to understand further (great picture from @wopi82 ). Also check out the ipvm calculator tool mentioned in the cliff notes in the wiki. Then read about DORI and field of view (FOV).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In all fairness, we all want both detail and large field of view (FOV) , in reality it generally takes two cameras to accomplish ;)

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In all fairness, we all want both detail and large field of view (FOV) , in reality it generally takes two cameras to accomplish ;)
Truth. lol. I was talking to a friend in my neighborhood the other day as I was messing with my new front door camera that I'm working on positioning and he was making fun of another guy in the neighborhood that had 6 or so cameras out in front. and, I'm thinking, well: I've got 1 in the garage, 2 on either side of the garage on the outside, a ring doorbell pro (actually really like that for ease of use), 1 at the front door for identification 24/7 recording...then I have my Z12 i need to put up for an LPR and, if I'm honest, I'd really like an overview camera higher up above the garage to see all. It starts adding up quickly. in our safe neighborhood, it is really hard to explain to people why I NEED the cameras. It is more of a hobby at this point...until it actually becomes a need (which hopefully it never will).

Also, showing my wife the difference in night pictures of the two cameras at the front door (the ring pro and a cheap dahua 2MP starlight) helped her understand why I need another camera at the front door.

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you do the alternating pictures right below this paragraph? Where the picture shifts from one to the other?
It's a video file (done in After Effects) converted to GIF file in Photoshop.

Scale

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
Have you tested a new IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI camera?
What do you think about IPC-T5442TM-AS vs IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI ?