Dahua vs Hikvision

ScooterGeo

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
Just looking though the site trying to learn as much as I can before purchasing a 4-6 camera home system.
I have read the Wiki notes etc. and it seems to me that Ipcamtalk is predominantly weighted towards Dahua hardware. It seems that Hikvision and Dahua are comparable and Hikvision has the largest global market share.
I'm just curious why it seems there is a predominance of information and reviews for Dahua over Hikvision?

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just curious why it seems there is a predominance of information and reviews for Dahua over Hikvision?
My view - it's a bit historical, due to the fact that Dahua brought to market some affordable ultra-low-light IP cameras well ahead of Hikvision, and as a consequence generated a lot of interest on this forum, which has persisted.

There is also the geographical spread of market penetration, which is quite different between the 2 organisations.

ScooterGeo

n3wb
Reaction score
My view - it's a bit historical, due to the fact that Dahua brought to market some affordable ultra-low-light IP cameras well ahead of Hikvision, and as a consequence generated a lot of interest on this forum, which has persisted.

There is also the geographical spread of market penetration, which is quite different between the 2 organisations.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To add to @alastairstevenson's comment about Dahua being first-to-market, IMO the forum got really lucky in that the forum member who did the first Dahua Starlight review here (@nayr, since retired from the forum) bought his Dahua from a vendor on AliExpress (Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY), and that vendor turned out to be beyond awesome.

Andy ended up joining the forum right as @nayr's review started to take off. Andy's made buying Dahua super simple, which I think is another big reason why Dahua is so popular here. His prices are good, his support is excellent, he uses DHL to ship to just about anywhere in the world, he will often provide a model of a new camera to the forum for someone to do a review of, he shares Dahua news (which is cool since this info is usually kept within the professional installer community and is hard to find elsewhere), and he'll work directly with Dahua support if something comes up that the forum here can't figure out (also good since Hikvision and Dahua don't typically offer tech support directly to end-users). He's got a big shop on AliExpress, some models on Amazon, and you can always send him an email (or forum PM) to order and he'll bill via PayPal.

The last of it (for me, anyway) is that Dahua has always seemed to have more ultra-low-light models to choose from. Turrets, varifocal turrets, domes, varifocal domes, mini-domes, inexpensive PTZ mini-domes, bullets, varifocal bullets, etc... most of which come with microphones built-in.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. But here is my take. IMHO Hikvision has a slight edge in night time viewing but that comes with a price. I think the word affordable as used above is the appropriate word with Dahua. You get good performance for the money. Andy has helped a lot with the good dependable service. That said I continue to buy both Hikvision and Dahua.

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good read there guys.
Iv just picked up a 16 channel Hik, couple Cams on the way.
I will be running a few bench test(s) before committing to a make/model of Dahua or Hik.
Just happened to pick the Hik first, once i get to know the innards, i pick up a Dahua. May the best/easier/friendlier Device Win!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you’re using a NVR, your cameras usually need to match that brand in order to use the cameras advanced motion detection features. Hik calls their advanced motion detection “Smart Events”, Dahua calls theirs “IVS”. Your Hik NVR should support Smart Events on Hik cameras, but not IVS features on Dahua cameras.

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you’re using a NVR, your cameras usually need to match that brand in order to use the cameras advanced motion detection features. Hik calls their advanced motion detection “Smart Events”, Dahua calls theirs “IVS”. Your Hik NVR should support Smart Events on Hik cameras, but not IVS features on Dahua cameras.
"Need to match the brand"
That statement alone is a most helpfull tip, For many people going Digital, that was last thing on my mind couple years back.
Surfing the Bay one day, NVR's were just showing up, jumped right in and bought one, some NoName brand.
Had a few Digital cams laying around, thought they would dial right in. Yeah right!
Couple nights spent analyzing this mis-match, to no avail. I dont get beat up often.
FINELY i called the Vendor of this NVR, FIRST thing he ask, Are you using my cameras?
Coming from a lifetime of Analog, knowing any Cam would work with pretty much anybody's equipment, I was floored by his question!

As i stated, i dont get beat up very often, and only twice have i read some vendor the Riot Act.
I told this Rep this is America, if you wish to sell a product that only works with your other product, You have designed your own demise.
He was gone from the Bay in three months, never seen the brand since.
Bosch and then American Dynamics dabbled in this idea also.

So here it is years later, and everyone's NVR works, or KIND of works with other makes of IP cams.
They are slowly learning, make a Friendly device and it will sell itself........
Rant Complete

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  • Couple Hik cams came in today, Model# SG-7536. Just a couple off the Bay from a Bud.
  • I am impressed, True plug & Play.
  • Powered up both cams, connected to inputs 1 & 2, Then powered up Hik NVR.
  • Instant Video!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Couple Hik cams came in today, Model# SG-7536. Just a couple off the Bay from a Bud.
  • I am impressed, True plug & Play.
  • Powered up both cams, connected to inputs 1 & 2, Then powered up Hik NVR.
  • Instant Video!
That is not a hikvision model.
No camera is plug and play, you need to setup recording and video settings.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The great debate... For years I had a DaHua NVR but all my cameras were Hikvision or other brands like Pelco, IQinVision, and others. The problem was they were all using ONVIF (Open Network Video Interface Forum) and the NVR couldn't save any changes to the cameras. So I had to access each camera make the changes and save them. Then I got my first DaHua camera and the NVR seemed to come alive in the sense I could make changes and the NVR was able to save the settings.
Insert epiphany here!
I realized, then, that to get the most out of your system it would be nice to have all the same brand. I then purchased a new NVR and started replacing cameras one buy one.

DaHua or Hikvision, to me, they are both good. The important thing IMHO is to match the system. WHO KNEW?

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is not a hikvision model.
No camera is plug and play, you need to setup recording and video settings.
Hummm, interesting.
1. These two came out of Canada, a stated authorized Hikvision dealer.
2. Hikvision is clearly on the camera
3. They both fired right up.

I do have a couple No-Name IP cams that i tried for two days to get them on the NVR, VOIP they are, still the NVR would NOT pick up the picture. Massage every setting in the NVR to NO avail.
Dissected one of these No-Name cams, ZERO marking inside! Nothing/Nada, to go-on.
I picked up these because you gents say Hik likes Hik, guess you were correct, Plugged in and they Played.

Meanwile, MY old Pelco 16 is hanging in there, pushing 18+ years now, as you can see, Analogs are fading/channels are going south.
So i must gear-up.006.JPG 008.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The great debate... For years I had a DaHua NVR but all my cameras were Hikvision or other brands like Pelco, IQinVision, and others. The problem was they were all using ONVIF (Open Network Video Interface Forum) and the NVR couldn't save any changes to the cameras. So I had to access each camera make the changes and save them. Then I got my first DaHua camera and the NVR seemed to come alive in the sense I could make changes and the NVR was able to save the settings.
Insert epiphany here!
I realized, then, that to get the most out of your system it would be nice to have all the same brand. I then purchased a new NVR and started replacing cameras one buy one.

DaHua or Hikvision, to me, they are both good. The important thing IMHO is to match the system. WHO KNEW?
Thank You:
I will fire these up soon and confirm as to weather "Retain Memory" or not.
Weather here is pushing 80s, Cabin fever at maximum, im outta here....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hummm, interesting.
1. These two came out of Canada, a stated authorized Hikvision dealer.
2. Hikvision is clearly on the camera
3. They both fired right up.

I do have a couple No-Name IP cams that i tried for two days to get them on the NVR, VOIP they are, still the NVR would NOT pick up the picture. Massage every setting in the NVR to NO avail.
Dissected one of these No-Name cams, ZERO marking inside! Nothing/Nada, to go-on.
I picked up these because you gents say Hik likes Hik, guess you were correct, Plugged in and they Played.

Meanwile, MY old Pelco 16 is hanging in there, pushing 18+ years now, as you can see, Analogs are fading/channels are going south.
So i must gear-up.View attachment 41581 View attachment 41582 View attachment 41582 View attachment 41583
Those are not hik cameras. Someone is screwing with you.

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Morning Gang:
Bench test-Break-in of a couple Cams my Hik seems to be happy with.
Motion sense, 24/7 Record is ALL i require.
Shut down / Rebooted Hik couple times last night and let sleep over night.
Fired up first thing this morning, Retains all settings. Motion has been flawless.
Hik has some pretty user friendly software, i am impressed.

Not my preferred cams for refurbishing the homestead however good enough for an IP burn in test.