Dahua WIZMIND X SERIES

MarioBoo

n3wb
Reaction score
it is hardware limitation.

The 12mp sensor or SOC (cpu with Image Signal Procesor) is not fast enough to read and process 60 * 12mp = 720MP per seconds of image information.

8mp sensor needs only 8 * 60 = 480MP per second.

1080p is much simpler - you can read and process every second line of pixels (so You don’t need to read half of them)
That's why I said that I understand not being able to do it at 12MP
But at 8MP the hardware should be capable.
I don't see how their 12MP camera comes with a slower SOC than their 8MP version. If anything it should come with the same one as their 8MP camera because the 8MP model cost less than their 12MP.

I bet it is more of a software segmentation to drive more sales.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see how their 12MP camera comes with a slower SOC than their 8MP version. If anything it should come with the same one as their 8MP camera because the 8MP model cost less than their 12MP.

I assure you it isn't a software limitation - it is hardware limitations.

They essentially put the same sensor in the 12MP (1/1.7") as they did the 8MP (1/1.8"), so they are more than likely using the same processor.

As pointed out, at 60FPS the processor needs to process 720MP/s for 12MP versus 480MP/s for 8MP - that is a huge difference.

To show how much processing is needed, looking at intel chips as it relates to Blue Iris, a processor capable of 720MP/s versus 480MP/s would be the difference between someone being able to use a 7th gen chip versus a 4th gen chip - and that would be running just one camera. In fact, if someone had five 12MP cameras running mainstream only at 60FPS, they would be trying to process 3,600MP/s and the latest and greatest intel chip could not handle it for Blue Iris.

Now extrapolate that into each camera - they aren't going to go to that expense.

Hardware limitations are why folks don't run surveillance cameras at 30 or 60FPS.

In fact, per the wiki, for Blue Iris, all bets are off trying to find a computer that can process 1,500MP/s or basically only two 12MP cameras running mainstream only at 60FPS. Who wants a system with only two cameras?

Or even NVRs for that matter - they say what it can handle MP and FPS wise, and you convert it to MP/s. Even the top of the line Dahua Pro series 8xxx is limited to 640MP/s - so not even an NVR can handle one 12MP camera at 60FPS. Why sell a camera that their own NVR couldn't handle? And then a member here like Parley has to run multiple NVRs for the number of higher MP cameras he has because one NVR can't handle it.

Further, the sector they market knows that chasing MP and FPS is foolish and a waste of resources and storage. Sure they make a few of these higher MP and cams that can run higher FPS, but those in the know and with experience in the industry know that 12-15FPS is more than adequate in most cases, and especially in the cases of their intended market.

If someone really needs 60FPS, then they need to find the brands that accomplish that and bring the checkbook - and the Dahua's and Hikvision's of the world are fine with not having that market share, just like Ferrari is fine not being in the sub $20K car market LOL.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

It sounds like you are saying you believe the 12mp camera set to record at 8mp should have the same limitations or lack of limitations as an 8mp camera recording at 8mp. If I'm not mistaken, the camera still captures the 12mp image then downscales it on the camera to 8mp. If that's the case, setting the 12mp camera to 8mp does not decrease the amount of data it needs to process. In fact, it may increase the cpu load as you are adding the downscaling.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like you are saying you believe the 12mp camera set to record at 8mp should have the same limitations or lack of limitations as an 8mp camera recording at 8mp. If I'm not mistaken, the camera still captures the 12mp image then downscales it on the camera to 8mp. If that's the case, setting the 12mp camera to 8mp does not decrease the amount of data it needs to process. In fact, it may increase the cpu load as you are adding the downscaling.
That is correct regarding the downrezing of a camera. It records in native resolution and then downscales it, thus using even more CPU.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't understand one simple thing:
image sensor don't rescale image. Image Signal procesor do that.

You always need to read full 12MP from image sensor, transfer to image signal processor, process it and then You can rescale to 8MP.

Both 8 and 12MP models have the same SOC with the same Image Signal Processor and the same power/capabilities. But in case of 12MP sensor model this power is not enough to read/transfer/process 60*12MP = 720MP of image information even if it then rescalled to 8MP. In case 8MP sensor where is only 480MP to read/transfer/process SOC/ISP have enough power to do it..