Daylight saving hour change, all OK for you?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here in the UK there was a 1 hour change overnight, this morning all my 4 Hikvision and 4 Dahua cameras were showing the correct time, in the UK that meant going from BST to GMT. (BST British Summer Time to GMT Greenwich Mean Time)
It's now dark outside and what I've just noticed was that my Dahua mini PTZ, a DH-SD1A404XB-GNR was showing a black screen in my BI PC. As it provides IR illumination for a large Dahua PTZ this meant I had two black screens.

A dip into the mini Dahua PTZ's configuration shows that Day-Night had changed itself from Auto which I had set, to Color. Weird, my only explanation is that it's Halloween.

And you, your CCTV system all OK after time changes?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
All my cams changed over fine with no issues. I do have them configured to use an NTP time source.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought they were going to fix that ?? A few states have it figured out :smash:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe the law takes place in 2023 to keep a permanent time in the US.
That's our fast efficient government.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even if the Republicans end up in control, it'll still take a long time. We'll have to have a "Blue Ribbon Commission" study the whole question for a few years, and at a cost of millions, then a long series of hearings. Then the bill will get re-written and have to go back to the Senate for another "rinse and repeat" operation there. Then it'll be a conference committee. Maybe in five or ten years something will happen if anyone remember it's even "in the process: by then.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You can definitely reduce crime, make people get more Vitamin D, use less electricity (especially during inflation), and enable people to spend more quality time outdoors thus promoting a much more healthier life if they make this permanent.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's because Pelosi enjoys skipping over the proofreading part and signing bills in the dark. All she can care about is her plastic synthetic face and the excessive number of Botox treatments she undergoes every year. Narcissistic dud

Senate passed it, House is sitting on it because Pelosi won't put the bill up for vote. Hence... don't hold your breath.

Reaction score
Back to Standard Time and leave it alone...
The problem is that the Senate bill puts us on permanent Daylight Savings Time, which won't last more than a couple of years before we switch back again. Permanent DST seems like a great idea in the summer. In the winter, people up north are going to be commuting to work and sending their kids to school long before the sun rises. That wears thin very, very quickly.

People forget that we tried permanent DST before in the 1970's, and gave up on it for exactly that reason. We are repeating the same mistakes from 50 years ago.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We just changed today, I dont know if we are in DST now, or if DST is in the summer.

Whatever they do, I hope they keep the time the way it is in the spring and summer. I hate this whole getting dark at 5pm in the winter.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We just changed today, I dont know if we are in DST now, or if DST is in the summer.

Whatever they do, I hope they keep the time the way it is in the spring and summer. I hate this whole getting dark at 5pm in the winter.
Daylight savings in effect in spring, back to standard time in the fall.
I'd like to leave it as it right now on Sun. 11/6 @ 0722 CT, back to standard.

There's pros & cons for both arguments. Hard for one side to see the other, not everyone will be happy regardless.

Reaction score

We are back to standard time now. And personally I hate getting up at 6 a.m. with it being pitch black outside, and having to wait more than an hour until the sun rises. For every person who wants permanent DST, you'll find another who wants permanent standard time. I get a lot of work done early in the morning, and hate doing it in the dark. I frankly couldn't care less about the later sunset.

In my opinion, part of the dislike of switching the clocks is that DST starts much too early (March) and ends much too late (November). Doing it from April to September would make far more sense, as the sun rises early enough that shifting the clock won't significantly impact most people who get up in the morning. Unfortunately, there's rarely been any logic in how DST is implemented, as the same bad ideas keep being tried over and over again.

It's been about 50 years since America's last flirtation with permanent DST. It will be no more successful than previous attempts.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Daylight savings in effect in spring, back to standard time in the fall.
I'd like to leave it as it right now on Sun. 11/6 @ 0722 CT, back to standard.

There's pros & cons for both arguments. Hard for one side to see the other, not everyone will be happy regardless.

Well if this whole world thought like me it would be perfect.