DB Power IP Cam

jaydh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this forum, I have just bought an IP camera and I am having trouble setting it up and hoping here is the place I can get some help.

I have setup the camera on my home wifi (virgin media), unfortunately using a dynamic IP so i assume the IP address is going to change at some point...
The main issue is that I cannot seem to access the camera while I am not on my home wifi. I have setup port forwarding which doesnt seem to help me...

Please can you help point me in the right direction, the camera I have is: http://www.dbpowerofficial.com/outdoor-ip-camera/dbpower-wireless-wifi-outdoor-cctv-ip-network-camera-ir-p2p-day-night-webcam-1.html

Thanks

Jamie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What type of internet provider is Virgin media? Cable, satellite, wireless?
Side note: there are much better cameras for not much more money...

jaydh

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a cable provider.
I did some research on cameras and found a bit of a price jump between a good rated reasonable camera and a good rated great camera. I paid under £30 for this, what else comes close to that and is better?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1.3mp dahuas can be had for about 70 dollars...its well worth the upgrade..the difference is night and day...
Post images of your port forward settings as well as your cameras network settings...also make sure you test remote access from a remote location or on your cell phone when its using cellular data not connected to your wifi.

jaydh

n3wb
Reaction score
Those cameras are about 150 dollars in the UK, big price jump on what I paid. Below are some images of my port forwarding and network settings on my camera.

Updated post

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Jamie - best not publish your true IP address / port detail here - this is a public forum - the entire internet world could see that and abuse it, and potentially your home network, knowing exactly what device the address connects to.
I suggest you go back and edit your posts - even though the cat has got out already.

jaydh

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to check the enable box for port 81...
also what do you mean by "I just noticed the camera settings are different"
Hi

Port 81 was enabled and I tried it on my cell phone without wifi, I was trying different things which is why it is no longer enabled.

The camera settings are different for the port forward and non port forward IP address. Eg, the wifi settings were set on the non port forward ip address but not on the port forward ip.

Please could you also remove the IPs from your post, thanks.

jaydh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I would be but I live in the UK. What time zone are you in?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can we do this tomorrow at 4pm eastern time? Thanks
Just message me when you are online..if im around ill be able to help..not sure about my schedule..in the meantime one thing to check, under basic network settings set the DNS (not the ddns tab, but the DNS setting in the basic network settings) to 8.8.8.8 that is googles dns...often time its set to the ip address of the router which messes things up..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For future reference: Problem solved..issue was the ISP was now allowing port 81...switch to 8585 and works like a charm..