Dead?

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 Dahuas that I pulled down and stored safely in a box about a year ago. Now that I'm trying to use them again, they don't seem to be coming back on. I plugged them into a PoE switch by themselves and tried to reach them via the IP that I had originally set them to but they didn't respond so I ran an nmap scan against the subnet to see if they could have been somewhere else, however I couldn't find them that way either. I also had a Hikvision that I pulled down at the same time as the Dahuas that also spent time stowed away in a box but was able to get to that without any issue.

The lights on the switch come on, one is a PTZ and it does its initialization sequence, moving the lens around etc, the other isn't but it does get warm so I know it's coming on.

Any suggestions as to what I should try again before attempting to reset to factory default is welcome.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try using the dahua configtool. , make sure to search multiple subnets. Also only plug one camera in, NOT two. If for some reason they defaulted back to the initial IP address 192.168.1.108 you will have an IP conflict.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
they didn't respond so I ran an nmap scan against the subnet to see if they could have been somewhere else,
If you use wireshark to capture traffic at camera power-on, you will likely find broadcasts and multicasts that give enough location and identification information, even if on another subnet and with no port mirroring in your switch.

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this the correct way to search for multiple subnets?
1598386798769.png

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like one of them did go back to the default IP and for some reason, even though I could ping it and telnet to port 80, I couldn't connect to it in a browser. After restarting the browser a few times and trying different browsers, it worked and it also shows up in configtool now. The other one still hasn't appeared.

Installing Wireshark...

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I filter broadcasts? I tried:
ip.dst == 255.255.255.255

also:
eth.dst[0] & 1

Last edited:

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried ConfigTool from another pc and found it instantly. Turned out that it was on one of those 10.1.1.x IPs that it gets set to when plugged into a Dahua NVR. I vaguely remember doing that before deciding that I didn't like Dahua NVRs and will stick to using BlueIris.

Thanks for your help.