Dealing with the pigtails..

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Morning folks,

I know the norm is to dirll a large hold in the wall or to install the camera on a j-box and drill a large hole on the face of the box.

However, here is the situation. I want to install a camera in a location where I cannot do either of the two. The best I can do is in stall a small small J-box to make the Ethernet connection inside. I would like to use some soft of cable gland to run the cable form the camera into the box but the large female CAT5/6 connector doesn't allow this.

I was thinking of cutting the end of the pig tail and install a male RJ45 connector on it in efforts to minimize its size and be able to get the cable through a normal sized cable gland and just delete the power and any other accessories.

I would really like to source some 2 piece cable gland? or if anyone else has ideas I would like to heard them.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Morning folks,

I know the norm is to dirll a large hold in the wall or to install the camera on a j-box and drill a large hole on the face of the box.

However, here is the situation. I want to install a camera in a location where I cannot do either of the two. The best I can do is in stall a small small J-box to make the Ethernet connection inside. I would like to use some soft of cable gland to run the cable form the camera into the box but the large female CAT5/6 connector doesn't allow this.

I was thinking of cutting the end of the pig tail and install a male RJ45 connector on it in efforts to minimize its size and be able to get the cable through a normal sized cable gland and just delete the power and any other accessories.

I would really like to source some 2 piece cable gland? or if anyone else has ideas I would like to heard them.

Thanks
use a matching juction box from the manufacture, no drilling needed. If you can install the camera, you can install the junction box. it matches perfectly and looks clean.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good Morning folks,

Thanks
HI @FoxCR

I would recommend against cutting the cable..

Tell us more about this particular install challenge.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I ordered two camera specific boxes.
I will post a photo of what I want to do. The challenge is to eliminate bulk. I was using homedepot 4x4x2 electrical junction boxes and they are a bit bulky and I can only install one camera per box lid/face.
So if I want to install two cameras next to each other, it means two boxes and I looks bulky. In additional I need to deal with an HOA etc. I am all about by cameras being visible but I want it look "nice"

I was thinking I could install the cameras the way I wanted to and run their pigtails to a single box hidden on the underside of the roof eave. So all you see from the street is two small bullets. (Turrets are nice, but too big for this application. We will see.