Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for sensible recommendations for a CPU

5 Hikvision cameras @3MP each
I use overlays
Direct to disc recording
25fps

I have this running on my dev machine (i7 4820k / 64GB Ram) and it runs very well, 23% CPU usage.

I would like to setup a dedicated machine but don't want the expense of my dev machine.

Would a 3820 be a suitable substitute to run my cameras with the above config?

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for sensible recommendations for a CPU

5 Hikvision cameras @3MP each
I use overlays
Direct to disc recording
25fps

I have this running on my dev machine (i7 4820k / 64GB Ram) and it runs very well, 23% CPU usage.

I would like to setup a dedicated machine but don't want the expense of my dev machine.

Would a 3820 be a suitable substitute to run my cameras with the above config?

Cheers
You dont want a 3820..you want a processor with intel HD with quicksync...any i5 starting with second gen i5-2500 will do....I would go with a modern i5-6500 which can be had for 300...the i5-2500's are about 100 via ebay...
Note you cannot record overlays and use direct to disc...

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers for that.

How well does the 2500 handle my requirements, is it "barely" good enough and very much an entry point or is it more than capable?

I'm looking to spend about £150 for the CPU and mobo, the other components I already have lying around.

The overlays are more for remote viewing, fps, time and Kbps, shame it doesn't record it ;-(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers for that.

How well does the 2500 handle my requirements, is it "barely" good enough and very much an entry point or is it more than capable?

I'm looking to spend about £150 for the CPU and mobo, the other components I already have lying around.

The overlays are more for remote viewing, fps, time and Kbps, shame it doesn't record it ;-(
Its should work at 30-50 percent...you have a high fps that is unnecessary...a modern i5-6500 will handle that load with ease...it will in fact be better than your i7 because of hardware acceleration.
Its not a shame it doesnt record. That is the ENTIRE point of direct to disk to reduce cpu...you CAN record at the expense of much high cpu consumption.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can the overlays can be generated by the camera and then recorded by Direct to Disk and be available for remote viewing?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman, cheers, appreciate the insight and update, i've got my eye on a very reasonably priced full system on ebay right now, i5 4570 with 8GB ram

@giomania, interesting point, i'll have a little investigation

I think i need to change my sig to "sooo much to learn" ;-)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can the overlays can be generated by the camera and then recorded by Direct to Disk and be available for remote viewing?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes of course, that is what everyone does...that is the same method used by all nvr's..furthermore, time and day stamps can be added to recorded video on export when using bvr format..you can run the timesynctool on your pc and sync all the camera times.

Squeeker

n3wb
Reaction score
I run 5 Dahua starlights on an i5-4590 with 8GB ram, 64bit Win10
Even when viewing remotely all the cameras from my office upstairs from the BI machine, the cpu ranges right around 20%. Plenty of machine.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to throw out a warning that the i3-2100 CPU's hardware acceleration does not appear to support resolutions greater than 1920x1080. i5-2500 has the same GPU so it might be subject to the same limitation -- I haven't tried.

cpsmith516

n3wb
Reaction score
I just picked up a i7-3770S for $85 on ebay. I happened to have a mobo laying around with the right socket. Currently running 4 cameras, 2 4MP and 2 1080p; all at 15FPS. Load is really light unless multiples are recording motion. Might want to see if you can do something similar as those older i7's are significantly cheaper and yield 8 cores vs. a current i5's 4 cores.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think i7/hyper-threading is as valuable as you might think. After you pass around 30% CPU usage it really shoots up fast. However if you are going to be pushing the limits, it certainly won't hurt to do it with hyper-threading.

cpsmith516

n3wb
Reaction score
I had an i5 of the exact same generation in the machine prior to sourcing the i7 and it frequently sat at 70% load.