Dedicated PC struggling to keep up with BI with 6 cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah turn off BI updates too lol

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also realized I was running code AI version 1.6.7 beta. I'm gonna try 2.1.6 and see if that helps I still have the old install files if it fails.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curiosity just struck me... does a PC that only runs BI really need a virus scanner installed? my thinking is if it's not used for anything other than a surveillance system it wouldn't be needed and would eat up system resources what are everyone's thoughts on this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to have BI and the video files excluded for sure, but yeah if nothing else is on it and it isn't used to surf the net, the risk is probably minimal.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Avast is getting the boot haha.

also wiping the code ai 2.1.6 as I am getting no alerts and see all the 200 and 500 errors. just read that thread and see ther's an issue with it. I still have the origional 1.67 and 1.6.8 install files. I tried out 2.0.6 and it was a hit and miss on alerts. luckily I saved the files

edit: Crap I forgot about windows defender. I will have to get rid of that too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still on Deepstack and an older version of BI as it just flat out works for me so why change to something that may break LOL.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is there any way to get deepstack back without downgrading BI to the beginning?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you could download Deepstack and see if it works.

Some people are on the latest BI version and it still works while others have had it break. So many variables and hardware the software that anything can happen.

If it works for you I think that would help because CodeProject is more resource heavy than Deepstack.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found a site showing a guide. I think I will try it out and see how it goes before going back to codeproject version that somewhat worked.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that was a big negative. installed code AI 1.6.8 and it all is working again.

Now if I can just make BI stop crashing every 20 minutes or so. BI tools gets it up again but it gets annoying

edit: I forgot about the h265 setting on the new camera. I had issues with the others in the past. changed it to h264, lets see if that fixes it.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact settings but go into edge settings and turn off Edge running in the background. That's why you had so many instances of it.

Avast has been known to cause problems. Dump it.

You need to exclude Blue Iris from any and all antivirus on your computer as per the BI instructions.

Definitely turn off windows updates. It's not that hard to do, search with Google.

Also turn off automatic updates for Blue Iris.

Has your blue Iris computer been cleaned out lately? It could be full of dust and causing the CPU to throttle.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I turned off the updates for windows, also ran a "debloat" application and took out all the crap load of pre-installed windows junk off the pc including all telemetry for windows. I have not removed Avast yet but it's always been set to exclude BI and Code AI. with all that it's been mostly stable with only the occasional crash of BI.

I accidentally updated BI not realizing it but it hasn't caused any issues like it had in the past. clicked the wrong button on the screen that greeted me when I remoted into the PC!

currently running BI 5.7.5.2 with CodeProject AI 1.6.8. CPU is now the only thing that seems to be bottle-necking now. ram is now only at 58% with 16gb. I did try code AI 2.1.6, it would not send any alerts or when I tried to process any images in the web server, it would just timeout.

Now with my current CPU (i5-3570) would I benefit any by transferring the system to a larger case in order to install an EVGA GTX 760 2gb GPU? would that help with the AI using up all the CPU power?

the reason I ask is I do know that if I try enabling any hardware acceleration (intell+vpp) in any of the cameras, this would cause BI to crash immediately on startup which I thought was weird since according to Intel this CPU should be capable of it. But even without that, could the AI use that GPU and allow me to nurse this system a while longer? maybe even allow me to use the newer AI version?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By the time you buy a larger case and that GPU, you would be better off with buying an i5-8500 off ebay and just running the CPU version.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15%.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I remember reading that thread when I had HA enabled and had a WTF moment thinking what did I do! after reading though it, I managed to reset Bi back to stock without any cameras to get it back up and running. then using the saved reg files added them back one by one going in and turning HA off before I enabled the cameras. that in it's self was a chore disabling the camera quickly before it started up the video feed and crashing BI.

on the case and GPU. I have several cases from other PC's I've acquired in the past and I actually have two GTX 760's in SLI in my desktop. Yeah I know there old and SLI is not a thing anymore. but I had them laying around so I through both in my old desktop (old Asus gaming pc with an i7-2600K) I only use the desktop for browsing and watching youtube. the SLI just allowed me to run youtube on 4k on a TV and me doing other things on the monitor lol.

I could take one of the GPU's for the BI pc and one of the cases I have (meaning to scrap them just haven't gotten around to it).

I was just curious if one would help matters any since I have the old hardware. I wouldn't be spending any $$ LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is free try it LOL, but many have reported the 2GB GPUs have had troubles with CodeProject. You may be able to run one instance or model off it.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the thought even occured to me to invest into a new desktop and take my old setup as is i7-2600k 20gb ram dual GTX 760 in sli for the BI pc, but I don't think the 2nd gen i7 would be any better than the 3rd gen i5. though it would only be the difference between an old gaming asus mobo vs the dell 7010.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also looked up what CPU I can use in the dell. looks like an i7-3770 , k , s , and t variants. found a 3770 on ebay for $35. not sure what kinnd of upgrade that would bring to BI though. I was hoping for better. I will lookup the old asus mobo and see but I think it's the same.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I turned off the updates for windows, also ran a "debloat" application and took out all the crap load of pre-installed windows junk off the pc including all telemetry for windows. I have not removed Avast yet but it's always been set to exclude BI and Code AI. with all that it's been mostly stable with only the occasional crash of BI.

I accidentally updated BI not realizing it but it hasn't caused any issues like it had in the past. clicked the wrong button on the screen that greeted me when I remoted into the PC!

currently running BI 5.7.5.2 with CodeProject AI 1.6.8. CPU is now the only thing that seems to be bottle-necking now. ram is now only at 58% with 16gb. I did try code AI 2.1.6, it would not send any alerts or when I tried to process any images in the web server, it would just timeout.

Now with my current CPU (i5-3570) would I benefit any by transferring the system to a larger case in order to install an EVGA GTX 760 2gb GPU? would that help with the AI using up all the CPU power?

the reason I ask is I do know that if I try enabling any hardware acceleration (intell+vpp) in any of the cameras, this would cause BI to crash immediately on startup which I thought was weird since according to Intel this CPU should be capable of it. But even without that, could the AI use that GPU and allow me to nurse this system a while longer? maybe even allow me to use the newer AI version?
The reason Blue Iris is crashing when you enable Intel is because you are using h.265 which is not supported by your processor ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also looked up what CPU I can use in the dell. looks like an i7-3770 , k , s , and t variants. found a 3770 on ebay for $35. not sure what kinnd of upgrade that would bring to BI though. I was hoping for better. I will lookup the old asus mobo and see but I think it's the same.
For the love of God don't waste time changing out a processor on a computer and that's worth less than the $35 you're investing in it... As noted you can buy an i5-8500 system for $150 or less... It can easily handle cold project for six cameras even if they are high resolution cameras... There Will be spikes but the PC can handle it.. with 200 to 500 millisecond return times..