Dedicated PC struggling to keep up with BI with 6 cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL I'm already looking on ebay. there's pleanty that are SFF pc's.
Understand the SFF means something different for every brand and even models within brands. Some sff's have room for only one 3.5 harddrive and an SSD. Others have room for 2x3.5 and and ssd or two. You dont want a micro/mini/usdt that has no room for a 3.5 drive and weaker T processors.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI - one of the reasons everyone is suggesting a 8th gen Intel chip (or better) is because of MS requirements for computers that run Windows 11. Long short short, you'll need a 8th gen Intel chip or newer to run Windows 11 (I'm not sure the min generation requirements for AMD chips). Now obviously all of us would recommend you stay on Windows 10 for as long as possible, but if you are going to have to spend money on some new hardware, it might as well be something you could use with Windows 11 if you are forced to do so in the future.

That being said, I also think it is the AI that is causing all of your slowdowns. I think getting a newer/faster machine could fix the issue, but I also suspect that using a dedicated graphics card is the best long term solution. However there is a min generation requirement for graphics cards to with with the new AI system, so be sure to do a little research before you go off buying the cheapest used card you can find. If the card doesn't meet the min requirements for the AI software, it won't actually help solve your problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI - one of the reasons everyone is suggesting a 8th gen Intel chip (or better) is because of MS requirements for computers that run Windows 11. Long short short, you'll need a 8th gen Intel chip or newer to run Windows 11 (I'm not sure the min generation requirements for AMD chips). Now obviously all of us would recommend you stay on Windows 10 for as long as possible, but if you are going to have to spend money on some new hardware, it might as well be something you could use with Windows 11 if you are forced to do so in the future.

That being said, I also think it is the AI that is causing all of your slowdowns. I think getting a newer/faster machine could fix the issue, but I also suspect that using a dedicated graphics card is the best long term solution. However there is a min generation requirement for graphics cards to with with the new AI system, so be sure to do a little research before you go off buying the cheapest used card you can find. If the card doesn't meet the min requirements for the AI software, it won't actually help solve your problems.
The other reason for the 8th gen recommendation is that there is a huge performance jump from 7th to 8th gen. So much so that an 8th gen i5-8500 is more powerful than a 7th gen i7-7700