Dell small form factor

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As others have said, generally, yes.

Bear in mind though being SFF has has its limitations. Typically there is space for only one full-size HDD such as the popular WD Purple surveillance-grade type where the bulk data/video footage goes. The other space for additional drives would be the 2.5" form factor typ. of SSD, for the OS and BI program.

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thats what im using dell 7040 sff with an nvidia nvr 510 graphics card.. ssd for windows 120gb samsung. via a ssd cd rom connection ebay 10 bucks . plus another 120gb ssd for weekend clips so I can shut down the nas for maintance and cool down's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thats what im using dell 7040 sff with an nvidia nvr 510 graphics card.. ssd for windows 120gb samsung. via a ssd cd rom connection ebay 10 bucks . plus another 120gb ssd for weekend clips so I can shut down the nas for maintance and cool down's
You should remove the nvidia card. The intel hd is more powerful and efficient.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i did for testing purposes.. cpu was over 60% with intel. With nvidia 10-20 HA on!!
improper setup on your part. That card does nothing, it does not support nvidia hardware acceleration. Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix
Even if it did, it could not reduce cpu from 60 to 10-20. My guess is you enabled direct to disk and or limit decoding in between tests.

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
improper setup on your part. That card does nothing, it does not support nvidia hardware acceleration. Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix
Even if it did, it could not reduce cpu from 60 to 10-20. My guess is you enabled direct to disk and or limit decoding in between tests.
the only thing I changed was direct to disk.. I will retest in a week or so. and post a quick video or screenshots..

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Direct to disc would explain the change. Its makes a huge difference.
Do you know why direct to disk is on by default since it performs so much better this way? What is the benefit of not having direct to disk enabled?

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As others have said, generally, yes.

Bear in mind though being SFF has has its limitations. Typically there is space for only one full-size HDD such as the popular WD Purple surveillance-grade type where the bulk data/video footage goes. The other space for additional drives would be the 2.5" form factor typ. of SSD, for the OS and BI program.
I am running on a Dell Precision 3420 i7-6700 and the motherboard supports the M.2 PCI form factor drive, which I am using as the C drive. Not sure about the Optiplex however I wouldn't be surprised if it also supported a M.2 drive

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can the Dell Optiplex i7-6700 small form factor computers be used for Blue Iris.
Yes I have a Optiplex 7040 SFF. It has a single 5.25” bay and a M.2 socket on MB for a SSD. Has a thin 9.5mm optical drive.

I already had a WD Blue SDD 2.5 drive. Got on Amazon and found a DVD drive caddy that allows a standard 2.5” drive to work in the DVD bay. Works great as the OS drive and BI records to a 4TB purple in the 5.25 bay. No need to purchase a M.2 drive. Some eBay units come with M2 some like mine did not.

9.5MM Universal SATA to SATA 2nd SSD HDD Drive Caddy Tray Enclosure for HP DELL Lenovo ACER Gateway ASUS Sony Samsung MSI Laptop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN23S6V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YKsPCbX24GCEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.